1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diwali

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Oct 31, 2017.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Diwali does not have the same charm like our childhood days. So much changes arethere. During our childhood days we used to wait for Diwali as only during Diwali we used to get new dresses. I still remember the printed satin pavadai with pink melakku which was my favourite during my teenage. Had to get up at 4 a.m., mother or grandmother will keep ennai on our head and then we go for oil bath and then wear the new dress.Take elders blessings. Then lit the patakas. Go to temple and visit relatives house. Idli, sambhar with chutney will be the breakfast with palaharam made for Diwali. Wow still my mouth waters thinking of the palaharam and sweets which my grandmother used to make. She was expert in making kai murukku. My brother used to like sevai made by her. It used to be so difficult to make with sevai nazhi but still she usedt o make and give us yummy food.

Now children are married and only we two are there. Nowwe dont buy new dress also as we have gifts from everyone. This year I wore the saree given by my daughter and my husbandwore the Kurta bought by my son. Though I wore just for sometime to go to my neighbour's house to give the bakshanam, my husband did not wear that day. But we both wore next day and went to my son's house and had nice time. Since our own own house is one room and a kitchen, my son stays separately after marriage. He always keeps in touch. He is very busy working from home , so more work and suddenly he will say he is coming home for breakfast and he likes dosa with milagapodi. Yesterday also he phoned and said he is coming for breakfast and since I did not have dosa batter immediately I soaked rice and urad for dosa batter and grinded after half an hour and made dosa, made milagapodi and tomato chutney.

My health does not permit to make palaharams so we buy from out only. Now a days we get home made bakshanams and they are tasty too. Now a days everyone puts colourful rangolies and its so beautiful ,also everyone's house is lit with electric lights . Even kids enjoy putting colourful rangolies. My dil also had lighted many diyas and electric lights and the house was looking very nice.

Belated Happy Diwali to all the ILites

2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Wow...

Naari and iyerviji like this.
  3. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Hi Vijima,

Really nice to read your Diwali memories from childhood..I feel the same way...things have changed so much, I wish my little one could have experiences I had as kid, esp the fun times during feativals like this!
    Hope you had a wonderful Diwali with your family.

iyerviji likes this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vijima,

I thought I was the only one who did not celebrate anything these days. I feel the same kind of nostalgia for the Diwalis of yore when we used to celebrate with the entire family. For one it is just the two of us and BH is not interested in anything and after mom passed away I have lost interest in all festivals. Diwali used to be my favourite.

I have never made bakshanams in my life. Either someone or the other gives me or I buy. Now since I eat whatever I like the whole year through, the logic of buying or making excess for a festival also does not apply anymore.

This time for the first time after mom passed away, I felt the need to get into the Diwali spirit and dressed up in a sari to go out. We visited BH's aunt who has moved out of our colony to a new place. We had a great time with them, their son and family, son-in-law and grand-daughter (their daughter passed away last year at the age of 49). We sat in the open area downstairs until 1 am and chatted. We all had dinner outside. It was really enjoyable.

I hate all the crackers, noise and pollution these days. It is nice to just light lamps and be with others. That is what makes a festival enjoyable, isn't it?

teenulahari, iyerviji and sindmani like this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thks dear

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Yes dear had good time with son and Dil. Your little one will also enjoy

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

You also said in the same boat. I have also not made much bakshanamsm. Glad this year you enjoyed with bh',sbaunty.QU="satchitananda, post: 4017954, member: 132899"]Dear Vijima,

I thought I was the only one who did not celebrate anything these days. I feel the same kind of nostalgia for the Diwalis of yore when we used to celebrate with the entire family. For one it is just the two of us and BH is not interested in anything and after mom passed away I have lost interest in all festivals. Diwali used to be my favourite.

I have never made bakshanams in my life. Either someone or the other gives me or I buy. Now since I eat whatever I like the whole year through, the logic of buying or making excess for a festival also does not apply anymore.

This time for the first time after mom passed away, I felt the need to get into the Diwali spirit and dressed up in a sari to go out. We visited BH's aunt who has moved out of our colony to a new place. We had a great time with them, their son and family, son-in-law and grand-daughter (their daughter passed away last year at the age of 49). We sat in the open area downstairs until 1 am and chatted. We all had dinner outside. It was really enjoyable.

I hate all the crackers, noise and pollution these days. It is nice to just light lamps and be with others. That is what makes a festival enjoyable, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

9. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

10. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

Gone are the days when we celebrated Deepawali from the early hours of the day!!
    A nice walk down the memory lane ! I enjoyed reading this :)
    Sorry I am late..a new member who joined only onNov. 17th and I am reading all the old threads here.

iyerviji likes this.