1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diwali

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by maalti, Nov 9, 2010.

1. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Hi friends, hope all of you had a very happy Diwali.
    It reminds me of my childhood days when we celebrated Diwali. Ours was a joint family. My grandparents had ten children and we all lived together. The preparation for Diwali will start one month earlier. Do you know what will we purchase first? It is the crackers. We will dry it in the sun on our terrace. Then purchase of clothes will begin. First for children. Then for ladies. Most of the blouses and Pattu Pavadai for children will be stitched by my grandmother herself. Then the task of preparing sweets and savouries will begin. All the ladies will share the works. One will go to the mill to grind the flour etc. And my grandmother used to prepare such yummy mysorepak. I have not tasted anything like that till date even from our very reputed sweet shops. Then finally the D-day will come. A big pan of gingely oil will be heated and we all would be made to wake up at 4 a.m. itself. we will have oil bath. All of us would get blessings from our grand parents. The new dresses, sweets, savouries and crackers would be kept in the pooja room. Then my grandpa will perform pooja and distribute the clothes. we will wear the new clothes and run out to burst crackers. One of the elders will always be with us to take care of us. After some time we will come inside feeling hungry, hoping to eat some sweets. but we will be given Diwali Legiam first. Then sweets will be distributed. Oh it was such fun. All the children in one place and we used to play and burst crackers for hours. Then we will go to our neighbours house to distribute sweets. No TV, nothing. simple fun and enjoyment. I miss all these things in our present day mechanical life. Anyway I hope things would get better and our children would also get such nice moments in their life. :bonk
    bye