1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diwali-sweet Or Sour

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear satchi,

Thank you for your warm response. In all the 4 decades of my married life, my relationship with my house helps has been smooth. Financially I may not have paid them much, but an emotional connect with them has always helped me in smoothing out those wrinkles which appear now and then.I always appreciate their honesty and during many occasions I have praised them for possessing such a golden virtue. When even the rich are greedy, why blame these people who come from the lower rungs of the society!

Agatha83

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Absolutely agree with you Agatha. I need to remind myself of the last line again and again. It just gets frustrating when one gets the feeling that one's own needs are being exploited and when one feels one is being blackmailed. But you are right. They are needy. Even the Mallyas and the Ambanis of the world crave for more despite all they have!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Ah! My soul-sister. Same here.
    I second that wholeheartedly.
    I love reading Volume 3 just to learn how how festivals, virathams, and shaarthams are celebrated/observed. Her "Kalayana Samayall" with the grocery list is a treasure that gives glimpses of history.

4. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear krish,

Yes, I went through the entire 3rd part of Meenakshi’s ‘ cook and see’ as if I was preparing for an exam. It was all thrilling those times, young as I was, ready to experiment with any recipe!

Agatha83

kkrish likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello::hello:Mouth watering thread.
    2. You concluded with sooji halwa. It gives an impression that making this sweet is not of back breaking category.
    3. You filled me with sweet memories of my beloved mother planning for almost a week and three to four days in executing her plan prior to the Festival of Lights in preparing dishes sitting on floor and the sweet & snacks aroma wafting through warm air hitting nostrils in the neighbourhood. She taught me to twist the dough in seamless manner in a circular fashion.
    4. House maid and her daughters would go out of the way to help my mother and sister and even stretch their stay a tad longer and carry out extra work cheerfully knowing that rewards would go proportionately up.
    5. You had in your thread captured meticulously the emotions involved in tackling the maid-servant's possible black mailing and binging mother.
    6. Hats off to your sweet light thread.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God Bless Us All.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Agatha83 likes this.
  6. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Thyagarajan,

Sooji halwa is my mother’s favorite, which I made exclusively for her because of her poor dentures.
    I am so sad that everyone in this forum talks proudly only about their moms and not about their DW, when it comes to cooking.
    My house help works in 5 houses, with very limited time to spare for my house cleaning. So can’t expect anything other than the routine work.
    Thank you for your gracious FB!
    Regards,
    Agatha83

7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

:roflmao:Hahaha! I could imagine.
    I too would try numerous new dishes till one day when my husband quietly asked, "will it be too difficult for you to make just rasam?"
    My hubby, not wanting to take any more risks turning guinea pig for my cooking experiments, saw to it that I got a full time job soon.:D

But Meeankshi Ammal continues to be my guide, even today. I make boondhi laddus, jangiris, and balushahis, every Deepavali following her recipes. They are our staple for Deepavali. The sweets are very well appreciated by our circle of friends because of the freshness compared to the old sweets we get in the Indian stores where we live.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

9. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

What a lovely read this makes!!
    It is quite sometime since I made sweets and Kaaram in our kitchen!! My Mom used to say " ENNai pukayaMam" in the house...ie..,make something for DeepavaLi...!
    But I do make something!!
    Made a nice read and brought back memories of Mother and Grandma toiling in the kitchens making goodies !

Agatha83 and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Agatha83

Your write up was a wonderful treat with perfect amount of sweet and karam. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Thanks.