1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diwali ideas for the school, KG

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by swahini, Oct 21, 2013.

1. swahini

swahini Senior IL'ite

DS is in KG and the teacher wants us to participate in diwali celebrations. She wants us to talk to one of the teachers about diwali (so that she will read the story and stuff), purchase candle holders and paint for the kids to decorate them and some sweets for the kids.

Now the story is, I am busy as heck because my colleague with whom I used to run the office has gone on maternity leave and I am only one running the office scene. I am stuck between 10-8 and everything needs to be ready by end of this week.

Anybody has any ideas where and if I can buy some stuff ready-made
    - Diwali Lantern. I am not good at making it, we always use to buy when I was a kid. So if I could buy one of that, I will just get one for the DS class. Anybody knows if you can buy one here in the US (I am near NYC).
    - Sweets, anybody knows branded sweets that can be purchased off the shelf? I would prefer good quality.. I have never tried restaurants but would they make it for you, like 1kg or something?
    - I have booked some diwali books in the library so that should take care of the story part.
    - What activities can be done for the kids? DS has no clue of our festivals and he is currently busy with Jack-O-Lantern and planning his Christmas shopping, so something that will keep these 5 year olds busy.
    - I searched through the forum, and there are 2 threads in the past. One mentions color clays, where do you buy those? (I found this one, any other suggestion?)

Any other suggestions, ready-made stuff I can buy ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

You can get color clays from any supermarket.Clay is usually placed near the stationery.
    You could make diyas with atta and lanterns with paper.
    Try this link
    Diwali Crafts.

you could also buy some floating candles and put them in a big urn with some flowers.

About the sweets you will have to ask the restaurants if they'll prepare the sweet.But the quantity you need is pretty less so i doubt if they'll make it.But then again you'll have to confirm it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

though I am not in US so can't say where to but the stuff but I did try few of these for kids
    1.if you don't get Diwali lanterns......buy some Chinese lanters & spray then with glitter & hang some glittery ribbons with bells on the end.....or let kids do themselves in school.

2.make some Shahi Tukri.......fry slices of bread & dip in ready made sugar syrup(pan cake syrup)........and cream on top of it(optional)

3.avoid nuts as many kids have nut allergy........

4.Halidram has lots of sweet stuff like canned gulabjamuns ,laddoos Haldiram Snacks in USA, Gift in USA

5.if you can get MTR,Gitts packet,the sweet stuff is quick & easy to make......
    Gits instant mix | ready to cook food | snacks mixes | dessert mixes | instant indian food

6.send some Foil cup cake holder....and kid can decorate them with ribbons,sequins,glitters etc.......[​IMG]

7.paper cup cake holders also diya covers & kids can paint themselves......

8.buy flowers ,leaves like marigold,carnation, & make garlands[​IMG]
    9.send atta flour,haldi(turmeric),mehandi ,kumkum(red powder) & some basic rangoli motifs....kids can have fun making rangoli.........

even coloured sand which we buy in kids toy shop can be used to make rangoli.

check this

5 Easy Kiddie Crafts to Light Up this Diwali | iParenting | iDiva.com

and find few DIY on pininterest...............Festive Art/Crafts for Kids

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.