1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diwali Explosions At Home

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by preeti6years, Oct 28, 2019.

1. preeti6years

preeti6years Silver IL'ite

Hi All,
    I know people will have a small smile after reading the title of this post. Yes thats how I intended to begin something which is so stressful and painful for me now.
    I have narrated in my previous thread LINK as to what is going in between me and my husband. However most of the times I tried to be ignorant in many things happening around, at times there were short explosions from my side. My husband is in absolute ignorant mode. So much that he did not bother to come near me when I broke down terribly. Such is his hatred(?). Just because I questioned right and wrong?
    He now started to take kid to nearby shops and park all alone without calling me. He acts super busy infront of me and gets on with his regular service to his mom.
    He is into setting up some private business, because of which he is always on phone calls. Keeps this going on until 11 PM and then gets hooked up to Amazon Prime, without even talking a word with me. Any conversation initiated will be side tracked or abruptly ended by silly comments.
    1. Coming on to yesterday he was super busy helping his mom, while I managed my dd. Evening when I asked him if he wants me to make tea, he arrogantly replies that he knows how to make tea. I got pissed off and asked him to watch the way he talks and on the contrary how he comments on other people talking and told him if this is how he responds, I am going to stop talking.
    2. He acts as if I dont exist when it comes to my daughter. Tells her that he will taker her to places, how they both will play and such stuff. Evening he did the same thing, he was saying to her that he would make her ready and then both would burst the crackers. This put me down instantly and I was silently crying in the kitchen. When my kid came and held me up I said go to dad and granny, and stop saying mommy all the time as people here are not liking it. Seeing my emotional outburst he called me out and I denied. He forced me to come and then I told him that if living with him costs my self respect, then I am not the one and he may decide what he wants.
    3. Evening there was a video call from BIL. I participated in that call to see their new born kid and to speak to my cosis. BIL was supporting cosis so much and was telling how she is struggling to manage with her new born. I went to DH and told him how well BIL projects his wife infront of MIL and what he does in turn is always back talk about me. For that he got super angry and pushed me gritting teeth. I got super angry and started shouting on top of the roof, packed my bag and got ready to step out of the house. He stopped me and then when I denied he said he would also come and pickup a fight with my mom. And from there the topic went on to MIL. All this happened infront of PILs. MIL got involved and we both fought terribly. I asked her what makes her to be so sweet with cosis while she treats me like trash. All she said was you are not like her. From day one you are bad, and you are creating all this scene because you want to move out and have a separate family by throwing all the blame on us. There was terrible war of words. My husband was shouting to both MIL and me and was asking us to keep quiet. Ofcourse his needle was on that side itself, but completely did not side her too.
    And after that he forcibly made everyone to have dinner and then as usual stopped talking to me. I am not sure if my mom can handle these people citing her health reasons. Frankly speaking I want to take short break which my DH will not allow me at all.
    I know whatever has happened is an outburst of 8 years emotional abuse I have gone through. Inspite being with the family in tough times she very easily brushed off everything saying that I have done nothing.
    What should I do now?

2. preeti6years

170 views and no reply yet?
    Am I wrong anywhere?

3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Yes.... your story is long, and it takes time to sink in to cause a feeling one way or the other. Especially difficult, when people are suffering from diwali cuisine splurge.

I could click you a like, if you read the linked article, and post a comment on it:
    16 Signs You May Be in a Loveless Marriage

My favorite paragraph in the article is this:
    At least one of you is kind of acting like an ass.
    In his over 40 years of research, Dr. John Gottman—psychological researcher and author The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work—found that couples in lasting relationships have five positive interactions for every negative one. He calls this the “magic ratio.”

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

From your previous post as well as this, it’s clear that all these problems have been happening almost through out your marriage.

so either you give up n adjust or keep fighting n come to some understanding, both options takes time, it’s not easy. Or 3rd option, you can keep venting out here, vent out is also a big relief.

Either you give an ultimatum, things change for the better or you walk. Some guys change when something drastic like that happens, n for some they may get even more mad. Since your dh doesn’t like you even going to your moms house, he might budge.

Your mil is threatened by you, most mils are. Nothing new there, majority of our il post’s mils are similar to yours. Either you fight, ignore, adjust or move away - these are the options because them changing is a rare thing.

You can have a personal talk with your mil, ‘ I have no intention of going away separately, believe me, let’s all live in this house happily’ show some tv serial or movie with friendly dil n mil n say we can be like this. Lie or exaggerate if you have to, but try a different approach n try to see if she’s budging.
    I am assuming you have tried talking all this to your dh but wasn’t a big success, so try your mil now.

Nothing is going to change till you choose to do something drastic. N you would have to keep doing whenever they go off track also.

5. winterhue

winterhue Gold IL'ite

OP,

1) I would suggest - first sit down , clear your mind and write down what YOU want. NOT what your DD wants, NOT what your Husband wants, NOT what your mother wants - What is it that YOU want . It could be something really simple as you stated -" I want to be respected" OR something complicated like "I want to find the key to World peace". But it should be what drives all your actions from now on.

Once you have figured out what you want, write down the immediate next 10 steps that you can do to achieve this. One of them could be "Improve communication with husband" . Now further break it down to things you will do - I will ask him for 10 minutes outside the house , so that I can sit and talk to him about my feelings. I will try to get him to come to a marriage counsellor etc.

Staying in an emotionally abusive marriage just because your DH doesnt want you to take a break , is not good for you or your kid.

2) On your side, I feel that the mistake you did was to "use" a good conversation you had with BIL into ammo. This just makes you the jealous one. Imagine the reverse situation - if your husband had come and told you "look how cosis is taking care of BIL" , wouldnt you get angry? In any situation , do not compare yourselves or the way they treat you with the way they treat anyone else. It would just be used against you and you come off looking as the crazy one.

Smileoften, shravs3 and joylokhi like this.
  6. preeti6years

Hi Ashneys,
    Agree with all the points you mentioned. I know nothing is going to come out of this fight, but its just that I lost my control totally after undergoing so much from years together.
    For sometime everything looked like subsided. Now I feel that MIL is again back to implementing her old strategy constant ear filling against me. Added to that husband is getting distanced from me, because of his work and other side business and majorly because of negativity.
    End of the day everyone forgets that I am also a human being and I am also prone to emotions like anger, frustration irritation.
    Things have gone wrong between me and my husband when I got angry with him.
    Just when I felt things are slowly improving, its back to square one

7. winterhue

winterhue Gold IL'ite

AND this is exactly where you are going wrong. Your MIL is baiting and you are constantly biting . The relationship between husband and wife should be pretty straight forward with open communication - but that is very rarely the case in our Indian Gharana. Which means, you need to clear your heard and start playing the game too. For that, first and foremost, control your impulses to get angry and sound your mouth off. Understand the "baits" that your MIL lays out for you, learn to identify them . Learn to "respond"and not "react" . It may take some time, but right now, your MIL has your husbands ears because you seem to be proving your MIL right everytime.

drdiva and shravs3 like this.
  8. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Your husband is stonewalling you. With 3 against one, it is hard for you to do anything positive for yourself. It is whirlpool, when in whirlpool, it is hard to have a bird's eye view, let alone act according to it.
    I would suggest, you a take break and get away to parents for a week or weekend- with child.
    Make it a regular practice.
    Figure out how to push husband's button's and do that- sometimes- to jerk him out of his stonewalling. Let him be the bad guy and yell his head off- at that time be the good guy (and be silent but correct and emotionally distant) and stonewall him.
    You will need few gos at it, to get the process correct. Once you get a hang of it, do it once a month or whenever the perfect opportunity presents itself. Have a killer attitude and go for kill.
    This will give you the mental stimulation that you are lacking in marriage. It may not be the best way to get it, but it will help

yesican likes this.