1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Divorce imminent

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by Tridev, Jul 13, 2010.

1. meena20

meena20 Senior IL'ite

Tridev,
    i actually want u to open the thread i have opened and go:idea through it...

2. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

I wanted to reply to Kalyani but later decided to post it here

I have encountered such incidence very recently in my life. My wife had told me that she has been seeing a therepist since last 5-6 months and she had put me an email explaining what is the therepy, what the doctor does to her in therepy. She said she used to cry a lot and say to doctor she is scared of her MIL and DD. Then she said I stopped taking shots and doctor just did Q&A. I checked with her twice and she said her therepy is going on ok. All this has put me to little surprise as I had thought what on earth is she scared of MIL and DD. Anyway I just thought may be it is stress of relationship problems or something. I never thought she is lieing to the core

After I came to India I asked her can I meet the doctor to know the wellfare and also go for counseling, she said the doctor has asked you not to meet. So I then started thinking that the doc has made me a monster in her mind but why would she not want to meet me to know the other side? I beleived her again... I went to the same hospital and narrated my story to a different doctor , he came to conclusion in just one sitting that it seems your wife has personality problem and unless she takes help nothing will change. I told him she says she is in therpy with the other doctor in same hospital but am not sure. Till then I had not thought that she had lied to me ..

Then one day I got courage and on my lawyers instance too I met the same doctor whom my wife had met , I walked in a manner which was little worried, as I still thought she would get angry with me and all

When I started talking to the doctor and then said my wife is also seeing you, she was little baffled, she said who. I gave her the name then she said oh yeah I remember her, but she had come just once and that also few months ago. She said my memory is not very bad, I remember, all the while she was complaining about DD and your mother and she herself was saying she has come not for any treatment but to just vent out her feelings. The doctor said she wrote some notes about her in which she wrote she is aggresive, very egoistic person and all. She said infact she had asked her to ask your husband to call me and she also said that looking at what you are saying your DH is not a bad person , he is frustrated and due to your non coopeartion he is not getting support to take care of his responsibilities. She even asked her how come you are not working being qualified in US for 3 years and not supporting your husband. I told the doctor the economy was bad and that is why, but she said it is long time to sit at home in US when one is qualified..The doctor said that dont worry about divorce notice he has sent you just keep coming to me for therepy for now...

I told the doctor what my wife had told me about her treatment and I said I can also forward her emails to her, the doc gave me her email id and I forwarded the email in which my wife had said what the doc does about shots and that she has already met her 3-4 times in therepy sessions which are intense for 3 hours ..

Even in US I was surprised how one can have 3 hours intensive therepy sessions ... Then when I again met the doctor the doctor said she has articulated very well with her mind what she has written. I said how can a person write and make up such events or things, she said she may have read somewhere or got some idea and wrote to you. I even gave my wife benefit of doubt and said may be she is busy at work and does not get time to meet you on Thr Fri and saturday, the doctor said but then she should not lie this way. She said that it is quite probable she kept lieing to you all the while so far in many instances and you did not know because of her reinforcing views...

I told the doctor that I feel you are lieing because that is how my wife reinforces her statements to me, I cannot ever beleive she can lie so well and in such a fashion.. I even asked her twice that is she sure she is not in treatment,she then asked the hospital clerk to remove the case paper and showed me in black and white and also showed me her notes about her personality what she had written. she told me she noted that my wife is dominant, aggresive personality. she said I am a pyschatrist and I can read people just by seeing their way of talking and behaving...

I get doubts on others when I try to validate her statements. In past she has mentioned me things which I always beleived to be true and now I know they were cooked up stories

The other day she had called me and said for the sake of kid we should think and why you hurry for divorce..and all. I asked her all you say is for sake of kid we should think, what is that you are ready to do to make it work. Are you willing to go to the therepist and seek help or go for counseling with me, if doctor puts you on medicines are you willing to take. She said am I not taking the same from last 6 months(again a lie) with the same doctor whom I had visited. I asked her are you sure you are seeing the doctor. She said again reinforcing that when you dont beleive me then what do I say. So that is how she used to make me always believe non existing things

I asked her is it possible for you to give me doctors number or take me to her and just mention he is my husband and please talk to him.? She was then getting suspicious, she asked me have you visited the doctor.
    The doctor had advised me not to reveal her that you are meeting me and that she has been telling you lies. But that day I could not control and told my wife when she kept trying to prove me that I dont believe her , I told her I met the doctor and got all updates, that you have met only once to her and you were not willing for any help. She was quiet and also was surprised that she got exposed and when I asked why are you lieing to me, I asked her what if I did the same to her? She said she lied because I wanted her to see some doctor for her anger, and other issues related to personality...

The doctor gave me enough warning that she may try to twist and turn and also get you back and behave very nicely for some time and again fall back in same circles. The doctor told me such personalities dont realise the problem in them and will not seek help either..
    The other day I was in my son's school to meet him and after that I was pursing my wife to see when she is going to come to sign for mutual seperation as she had agreed and kept saying she is ok. Then she made up another story. That after I have visited my sons school he has started behaving very wierd, he says dad has abandoned us and he does not love us and all and she said I told him that is not the case. I was also crying on phone that my son is away from me and she was also little bit cryign that I am worried for his well being. I though knew she has made up or cooked up lot of story in it but the mere fact that my son is away from me or our divorce will keep me not close to him always like a kid stays with father made me feel sad..

She even cooked stories that he keeps telling this and that about our DD.. I have never been able to believe some one as close as my wife will be doing this to me all this while..A time has come I might go into depression state and not knowing how to cope with such problems and beleifs that my wife has been making up stories very nicely .

She had told me she is ready for mutual sepeartion and does not want anything , and all bla bla. When I talked to her once again she said she wants property as she is worried about kids future, I divided property 50-50, custody of son was her with me having visitation rights, now she said she wants to meet her lawyer or hire one , earlier she had refused and then the story had cooked up about Sons wellfare and we have to think of his life .

I want to ask is this normal? Is this something we can call a lie or some emotional blackmail or shadyantra(hidden agenda) or manipulation.

What hope do I keep if I want to even remotely think to live with her...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  3. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Tridev,
    My personal experience and your wife's case make me assess these persons like these. They are insecure to the core of their heart... for what that we can guess, but best can be judged only by a professional psychologist. It is personality crisis, may be some past event in their loves are responsible or in their recent past something must have triggered them. Sometimes, they will plan to such an intricate detail that it will be hard to believe for anyone that they are lying in and out.

I can see you are very much concerned for your DD and DS (specially DS, as he is the most who is going to be affected in case there is a separation). By all possible means, for a normal life she needs treatment. Take from me, these kinds of treatments are very much time consuming. It takes years of medication, counselling and if required therapy. (It was told by my doc in my case), which is only possible if she is willfully giving in to the doc's advice. Even, in the course of treatment, she can improve and degrade.

Please decide, first of all whether, she can be convinced to take up this journey of treatment and then whether u are ready to take up this. Very difficult and sad situation, I would say, Dear.

Best wishes

4. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Kalyani, I had stopped putting updates on this thread but reading your life story and your statement to which I replied made me to post as I need help to understand such behavior and episodes. I myself am getting in depression now..

To answer your question I myself am not sure, what to do. She does not seem to be understanding that she needs help , otherwise she is normal, works like a normal person but when it comes to relationship all the negative qualities are hampering them.. I am not sure if I can convince her or even her family members about such things and if they can really understand...

5. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Yes, Dear Tridev, after a while things reach a blind end here also quite sometime, I have seen. After all it's your life, your outlook and preferences, which are most important. The friends here can at best guide you, but can not take you where you want to be. (i told this earlier also)...

I can understand, that the situation at your end is getting no where and making you depressed. But no point getting depressed either.

I just tried to analyze her behaviour and wanted to know what you might prefer to do. Having known that it is difficult at the moment to break the ice and also that you have advanced with your decision and action for mutual divorce (am I right? Are the papers submitted to the court? U are probably then in that initial 6 months waiting-time before the first hearing in the court)...
    NO HOPE at the moment.

I would then say that, please stop analysing her or trying to understand her any more. U had enough of that. Give it a break now. Proceed with the divorce. In case, after things are settled, one fine day her mind changes for good, things may change again. But now, as u say, divorce is imminent. Get along with it...

6. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Dont trouble , trouble until trouble, troubles you!! Have you heard about it?? first before going to India, all you wanted was an amicable divorce. When she said yes, again you started talking about how can she say yes so calmly, no talks, no patch ups etc...etc...then you were talking about your son and his future etc...and how she didnt ask for money etc...See whatever your thoughts and doubts...you manifested them one by one..now she is asking for all that...That you WANTED HER TO ASK.

If you had just calmly proceed with divorce and took your steps and followed your decision, she too would have stuck to her approach..

So might be time for you to think about why are you pushing her to do what she is doing...i.e making this whole divorce more complicated? Why cant you just stick to your plan and move on with it and deal with your son than dealing with what your wife is doing/saying or telling?

The moment she had said divorce, you should have mind your own business and move on with your life or stay away from all these messy talks/thoughts and daily taking one step forward and falling back 10 steps. (which should happen before the decision, but decision is made...after the word divorce is decided..there is no looking back..because you both have dragged each other to that limit)

Also the moment you start talking about separation with everyone, your side would talk ill about her, and her side would dtalk ill about you...PERIOD.. thats how things go...whether they are right/wrong doesnt matter...because thats how human nature is...so dont just say ohhh they all agree with me...they all felt the same etc..etc..YEs they would feel the same as you..because they are on YOUR SIDE.
    Its very rare to see where a couple separate amicably and dont talk ill about each other infront of others...they are called matured couple. They know they couldnt co exist so they are separating but for the sanity of their own minds and their kids future, they stop talking ill about their EXes and also wont let others talk ill about Exes..because EX means its past...its a closed chapter..so no point in talking bad about something that they are not going tobe associated with anymore...
    Now that you have decided to separate, you dont have to make anyone understand that she needs help. Even herself. let her live her life and you live yours...as you both wanted. Might be this separation would make you both lead normal life as you both have pushed each other to an extent where all you can talk and see is negativity in each others presence.Also please STOP dragging her family. You married her, and she doesnt want you. So her family has nothing to do with you. She is a grownup and she knows what she is doing. She is educated and independant. Might be her parents and her are also thinking that only if your mom would have understood thatyour approach is wrong, only if your mom had told you that you have equal responsibility towards your wife and kid as towards your mom and adopted daughter, only if your mom had told you to first concentrate on your wife and your son, and try to resolve the complaints your wife has on your adopted daughter. So there are so many things that your wife and her parents can think and might be tomorrow your son might also think the same...

So dont involve too many people in your life and decision making. Her life is hers and let her live on her terms and conditions. If she is MENTALLY INSANE prove it in the court and get custody of your kid. Apart from that you shouldnt be talking about what her family members or she is supposed to do about her mental health.

Tridev

You should go into depression only if you didnt see this coming...But you did..you knew all this was going to lead to sepration..didnt you?? so why getting depressed?

Ask yourself few questions..

Was the divorce decision made to give her a jolt so that she would know how serious you are?

Were you serious about divorce? and have you ever thought what if she said YES? because seems like all this while you thought she would say NO. now that she said YES you seem to have a great discomfort to accept the fact that SHE SAID YES TO SEPARATION?

Was this divorce word supposed to be a threat or false alarm?

Did you have a plan in mind on what to do if you both agreed on separation? If not please start making plans..because you seem to be overwhelmed by the thought that she would let you off the hook so easily ...but the moment she did..you are going around with so many unresolved questions and thoughts...which shows you were not well prepared for divorce in first place.

Last but not least..If you think she is filling your kids brain with unnecessary crap, then no need to worry, you can show with your actions that you care for your kid and slowly the kid would know that mom just talks bad about dad, but dad is not bad. If you are committed to your sons welfare and want to be involveed in his life, everyone including your son would see it, provided you show with actions. At his age, your son is with his mom, you visit once ina while, that says mom cares more, might be if you are with your son for equal amount of days as he is with his mom, if you take him out, make time for your son (instead of silently sitting at home and crying for your son), your son would know and feel your love. So ACT on your plans and STOP analyzng and thinking. Because you had analyzed and thought enough so far...now time for action.

7. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

A therapist or even a general doctor will not give out details of the treatment of his/ her patient to anyone walking through the door.
    How can a therapist sit and discuss a patients confidential talks and pour out details even to a soon to be ex-husband ?
    Asking for emails to be forwarded to her and all seems shady. No self respecting DR will do all this or take so much interest needlessly.

8. bebe

bebe Bronze IL'ite

Excately my thoughts...

9. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

I find it interesting to see that both Tridev and his wife are still trying to prove a point that they are right - his finding out details from her therapist and she trying to make him see a point that she cannot live with DD/MIL. I see that both of them are finding that divorce is as bleak a prospect as status quo.