1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Disrespect Toward My Parents

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by BhumiBabe, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

BB, you have to stop analyzing him, yourself, and the marriage. And, when you have your parents staying over or his parents visiting, just getting through those durations should be counted as an accomplishment.

Also consider this point - since his parents live in India and yours live here, yours are more involved in your lives. There is also an automatic 'upper hand' your parents get due to living in the U.S. Your current lives relate more to your parents' lives than to his parents' lives.

So, stop thinking too much. You've both agreed to try afresh. That is enough. This counselor thing also is not going to help much in your case ( I think).

If he is talking badly about your parents, it is more likely a more pervasive habit. Meaning - maybe in his family, it is routine to talk bad of relatives, neighbors, etc. And he is doing that now with your parents. While it can be very annoying and disturbing, put this problem in perspective. And let your reaction also be proportional. A quiet, mostly unemotional, 'I don't like such comments' or "let's not talk like that about parents" (different from "let's not talk like that about my parents") should be sufficient. Don't erupt in anger. Don't stew. Don't brood. Treat the comment lightly.. like another mosquito or fly to flick away. If you don't react,he will lose the satisfaction of making the comment.

It is not right and not fair that you have to struggle so much for a level of respect towards your parents that should be a given. But it is what it is. Place this problem in perspective.

Sunburst and Sunshine04 like this.
  2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

People who want to save their marriage do not start the effort by telling the spouse that he/she wants to punch his/ her parents face .

He can't abuse you because his parents are around or because he is going for counselling so he is doing this. He thinks he is being cheeky.
    He will not change .....not unless he risks losing all.
    He is what we call in hindi...a' badtameez aadmi'.

Amica, yesican, eternalnomad and 3 others like this.
  3. RohiniVenkat

RohiniVenkat Silver IL'ite

Hi BB,

I have gone through the thread. And here is my view of the scenario.

Indian society is like this. You cannot change until & unless change by their own. They talk something like this and say they are just kidding, it is for fun. I have came across many people doing this to their IL's, esp guys over the work place keep on blaming their IL's and wives which are most common in this society. I personally have hit the same :( but there is no way to move other than ignorant. Meanwhile I never talk anything wrong about my IL's, esp to my husband. Ignorance is most important. When comparing to my own experience your's is very tiny thing ( but I dont know whether your DH told it in a funny manner or not). Also we need to accept things. Few people will never change. I have accepted that my DH will do this, but still he respects my parents and never put them down anywhere outside me. Separation is quiet easy whereas when you have a child, it will impact the little one a lot. They need both the parents to share their starting of life. So please consider that and try to forget the bitter experiences and try to accept his nature and rebound. I hope it is tough, but I have done the same in the start of my married life, now it is going apparently good. Able to manage.

I'm not sure my message is clear or not, still acceptance level in wives end are huge in India and so they want everyone to be like that. Most of the Indian films depict the same, they are the people who saw that and evolved, with no common sense they will expect us to be like that.:( :BangHead:

Its too big topic to cover here. But it is the essence. Think about the child, talk very less, ignore the things which makes you angry, only for few days be the wife the DH wants. I hope that will create a good impact in your life. Go for a day out with your kid. You should feel the difference in him.

This is a South Indian Wife's thoughts :grinning:

Good luck:thumbup:

4. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

@silentlistener
    Thanks for your feedback. You're right, there is lingering anger because I'm still not able to have the peace of mind that I crave. I just want to be able to visit my family for the weekend, since my brother is only in town twice a year (for a couple days). After all that effort to fix things, telling me that I can go by myself WITHOUT my son is infuriating.

I'm not looking for a way out... I can leave if I push hard enough. I have enough resources in my disposal to do so. It will crush a lot of people, which is why I'm unable/uninterested to pursue that path.

I'm mostly having trouble accepting this as my life for the next 30-50 years. It scares me that I will have to live such an abbreviated life.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  5. BhumiBabe

Overall, thanks for your feedback...it helps, to gain perspective on whether I'm being unreasonable, unwielding, or if I'm harping on the same things. I don't want to be stuck in the negatives, and never get to smell the roses and enjoy my life.

I will continue to stand up for my parents, IF the need arises (otherwise, I have no interest in bringing up the subject). I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels strongly about this. I agree about the friendship... I don't see it happening, but I'll try to be more patient and not hold in the anger from the stupid things he might say.

@Rihana - I'm not trying to overanalyze him, but it's easier for me to forgive him when I do analyze the reasoning behind it. If I don't, I wonder how someone can be so stupid to sabotage their own attempts at forging a friendship.

Rihana likes this.
  6. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

I don't know about American men but in Indian society, the egoism is the main part of the marriage at least some 6-7 years of initial marriage.once people start living and going through up and downs, the men ego start coming down then they let you have your way like visiting family whenever you want and other stuff where you gain control and they will mellow down a little with age.To achieve that stage, you need to have an immense patient to sail through these years.I have really no idea, where you can get a perfect soul mate or not, even if you are thinking one in a dream.
    But you are aiming for the friendship here, I wouldn't even expect at the stage of your marriage.first and foremost respecting and participating in household chores is the main task.If you could achieve those then you can move to them next step.Meanwhile, I strongly encourage you to go GYM and make your own arrangements to attain mental peace yourself then only you can pull the ship.

BhumiBabe and Rihana like this.
  7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

@BhumiBabe I have been following ur posts for a while.
    There is a lot of deep rooted resentment..anger and a feeling of "I have been short changed in this marriage..I could have done better (in terms of partner) " .. in all fairness that might be true .
    We all have but one life and u should be able to live it the way u want to.U need to be very honest about why u want to be in this marriage. If its for ur parents or even for ur kid..its just not worth it. Stay because u want to..because u think after weighing all the positives and negatives this option is still the better one...for u . Not for ur H not for ur parents or kid ..for u. Once u have chosen give it ur all..dont look back every two days. Accept him for what he is...and draw firm lines . Boundaries he cannot cross. IF u want to go visit ur parents pack ur bags take the kid and just go. Dont ask him for permission....inform him of ur plans.
    Do not insist that he live up to ur expectations ..that automatically places the burden of u living unto his. Dont try to be his friend ..not until u are ready to accept his definition of friendship. The drive to change himself has to come from within ..until then tolerate his company .

More importantly dont dwell too much on this Indian /Non Indian..for nearly two decades now I have been in an industry which has very few indians and even fewer indian women .Most of my friends are Europeans/local white women. Their problems and marriages deep down have the same issues. Sitting on a couch with a remote while the wife struggles with a baby on the hip and a dinner in the oven is actually very very common. More common than u realize. Worry about what u can and what u cannot compromise.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Amica, peartree, Laks09 and 2 others like this.
  8. BhumiBabe

Currently, this is what I'm unable to do. I can't accept the type of person he is - which is the type that wavers between trying to fix the marriage to sabotaging the reconciliation and saying that we don't match or be comfortable to share our thoughts (and being together is misery). It means I have to be emotionally flexible in the same couple minutes to accommodate for his moods. I'm the type that makes decisions quickly, but his wavering make me wait for what he's ready for. Whenever I make a decision, he backpedals and makes me look the fool. It also makes me very anxious and feel like I'm going crazy.

I'm also not able to create those boundaries and do what I want (after informing of my plans), because I am raised to wait for "nod of approval." I feel like it's very disrespectful of me (either of us, but I only have control over my actions) to "just go". He has done it many times - but I'm just not able to bring myself up to that. I may have to do it this time, to attend this wedding.

9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Acceptance of his nature does not mean u have to like him let alone fall head over heels in love with him. It just means u manage ur expectations ..temper them with a realism.

No. U are subconsciously letting him be the driver. U decide if u want this marriage to work.
    Once that decision is taken do not wait for his approval. He is welcome to walk out at any point ..u know it in the back of u mind...now that u know...forget about it. He is adult he can take care of himself. Dont dwell on it. Until he voices his intent one way or another do not ask for his opinion or consent. The more u seek his approval the more control u give him over ur life.
    This is hard. I know..something I had to work on early days in my career. Now I can say without worrying over an entire nights sleep to my boss "I know u dont agree but thats ok this is what I believe is the best . I am willing to take the risk.". My decisions /choices were not always wise in hindsight and I have paid the price but thats ok. With all that...I have seen over time that approach strengthens our core.
    Start with this wedding. Look him in the eye..tell him I know u dont approve but thats ok I am going to spend my time with my family. I Will see u in a few days. HE wants to sulk point him to a nice cushion on the couch. Just remember this knife cuts both ways..u should be prepared that he will at times do things u dont approve. Accept and move on.
    Good luck..come back and post how the wedding went :)![/QUOTE]

Amica, Laks09, poovai and 1 other person like this.
  10. BhumiBabe

wow, thank you. That's really nailing it - I am letting him drive and basically waiting for something to happen to me, rather than doing it for myself. Even in my path to being independent, I still fall into those subconscious habits.

yesican, poovai and justanothergirl like this.