1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Disrespect Toward My Parents

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by BhumiBabe, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

I don't want to excuse his behaviour but I understand a little about the food. Indians take food for granted. It is always available to them. They don't have to go out and cook it (the women do, but we don't bother) and they don't have to try new foods because their meals and palette are set.

Also, there is enough variety even in regional Indian cuisines that one doesn't feel the need to step out of one's regional culinary boundaries in order to have an absolutely mesmerising culinary experience. We have so many tastes, textures, drinks and desserts and growing up, everybody has tried them, so there is no need to investigate. We know what we like.

Trying out new foods is a modern, Western phenomenon.

I personally don't like trying out new foods. Frankly, I don't see the point. I know what I like and I want to eat it every day.

Again, I am not excusing this man's behaviour, just trying to tell you where he is coming from.

From what I understand, you cook quite well, so there is no need for him to complain. I wouldn't mind a taste of that mutton biryani you cooked a few days ago.

I am past trying to tell you to get rid of this fellow because you have had a traditional upbringing that has endowed you with a sense of duty. I have not. I just do what I like. So, it can be a bit difficult for me to comprehend. But, as the Americans say, "just do you".

SGBV, blissofmylife and Sunshine04 like this.
  2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

It's not that I don't understand that... but when trying to forge a friendship, why would he insult my father for defending me. Can't that be considered a no-touch topic? Especially since it was so recent.

I wanted to leave. I agreed to stay, because my father had an India trip planned to go to a wedding and see his very sick older brother. I'm glad I did, because my Uncle did die during the trip.

3. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Just get rid of him. If I was in his place, I would consider myself very lucky. A wife who cooks Indian food and is both traditional and modern. You can't really ask for more than that. The ingrate doesn't how good he's got it.

4. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP I don't in any support disrespect towards parents. So you have to be firm on it. What he will do if you do the same to his father? Anyway keep your level high, but tell him very clearly that these kind behavior towards to your father is not going to work. If he do walk way.

In my experience it is better not to offer food to someone who don't like it. Some people have comfort zone and they don't want to move out side of it and try new taste and dishes.

My husband is one of them. If he likes something, he keep on eating the same for ever. Offering new food or dishes makes him uncomfortable. Now I cook for my self and don't care what he wants or not. If he wants he can try , if not no problem. But I like to cook for people who really try and appreciate new dishes and tastes.

Look like your dh has similar comfort zone. But he dont have to disrespect others for being in that zone.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

If it was that easy , OP would not be on IL ! There is a child involved, so it's not as simple as getting rid of the "nincompoop" .

Sunburst and Naari like this.
  6. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

That's a good name though, you must admit, "nincompoop".

Sunshine04 likes this.
  7. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

It's not friendship but respect that's missing. You are flogging a dead horse here. You have a picture of an ideal marriage stuck in your head and your reality is nowhere close to it. Hence normal conversations are escalating into unnecessary arguments .what your Your husband is saying is ridiculous , but that's not the point here . The point is he is having an audience , you. When he starts talking like that, just walk away , no need to analyse . Waste of time.

8. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

@Sunshine04 does not mean it is right though, specially considering Indian marriages are all about getting two families together rather than two individuals

9. BhumiBabe

The food is just a topic... that he started to initiate a friendship. I'm not offering him anything or forcing him to eat anything. I don't like forcing people to eat, either. They won't enjoy it, if they already have it in their mind not to. I'm not allowed to eat non-indian food inside the house (I used to make enchiladas and pasta, etc). Regardless, while we have our differences about food. I don't think it was a good way to start talking about my father and him defending me about my food habits last month - in a "friendly" conversation.

I figured out that my husband had never had a real friendship, so it's hard for him to understand. It's always ends up seeming (to him) that I'm not supporting his views. When in reality, I'm allowed to have a different opinion - I can't support something when I don't agree (and he knows when I just support it to please him, because I can't talk about it the same way he wants to).

10. BhumiBabe

I know... I'm just super frustrated with the situation.

That's the other thing. These topics are his version of pillow talk. He only wants to burden me with stupid topics when I'm dead tired (after a long day of taking care of EVERYONE) and ready to sleep. I ask him to talk to me in the morning, but deaf ears...