1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Disgusting Mil And Family

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by ssainv, Jun 5, 2017.

1. AshMenon

AshMenon Gold IL'ite

Trust me, there are many such people who still exist, who have stone age mentality and culture ONLY for their DILs. No matter how modern or how educated they are or may seem.

I can relate to your situation. My in-laws are living with us in the US for 6 months to take care of our DD. There have been so called subtle comments on my dressing to work, dressing at home and how I do not wear toe rings etc. I used to keep quiet which is when I realized, the more I keep mum, the more they get confidence and license to comment more. :unamused:

I had put my dirty linen for laundry and I only had capris to wear at home. Then came the comment on seeing me by my MIL (as if talking to my DD) "See.. what your mom is wearing...she is wearing clothes just like you... looks like you can wear them in some time..." I was super pissed. I didn't react, just laughed it off. (She wants me to wear nighties like her as opposed to the full length PJs) The next day, I changed from capris to knee length shorts... You can imagine her reaction. From next time, no comment on my dressing or whatever :grinning-smiley-048:

So, you have just 2 options,
    1. Either to ignore no matter how hard it is and just keep a mental countdown to when they leave :tongueout:
    2. Talk your mind and be done with it and still keep a countdown :wink:

BhumiBabe, Sunshine04 and sindmani like this.
  2. NeerjaC

NeerjaC Silver IL'ite

Hard to believe such people exist in this day and age!

I think suggestions made by others are valid. Besides, they are only staying for a short while, learn your lesson and don't encourage prolonged visits in the future.

I've found the key to a happy life is to stop trying to please others and putting yourself first. Stand your ground, whether it's clothes, periods, your child's upbringing or anything else. Eventually people will learn to accept you the way you are and if they don't then too bad! Life is too short to worry about dumb things like the length of your kurtis and what you should and shouldn't do during periods!

yellowmango likes this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

If I were in your place I would sing and dance all over the house ,touching every single thing in the house during period. Let the pure cow clean them.
    Then repeat.

pinkgal, Dishaa, sindmani and 2 others like this.
  4. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

haha true. Do this OP, do not leave any corners untouched in the house. That way your whole house will get cleaned up by In-laws.

Dishaa and pinkgal like this.
  5. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

OP,
    for clothing, office dress code idea worked for me as well. I keep getting taunts over work wear clothes as well. Dh does not have a formal dress code at work but I need to dress formally. MIL used to hate that.

Periods- my MIL was not very strict but she would object to me sitting on the same couch/ bed. When she would comment, we would just look at her and tell her we can not afford to buy separate couch/bed just for period days.
    But other than that, I took full advantage of period days. if you can't break their system, make it work for you. Relax, relax and relax some more in their system.

6. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

YM, I actually DO This :) My MIL has tortured me with her periods phobia and all over "shuddham" that is totally irrational. The laughable thing being that she has picked up and evolved in her intensity over the years.

My FIL used to eat fish and MIL used to cook fish too, but after FIL gave up eating non veg, she acts as if she has never seen Non veg in her life. So, golden rules being, if there is non veg at home - it has to be cooked outside, separate vessel , bathing, cleaning, more cleaning and bathing and no touching anything etc. When in India and in her house, I follow it- well, because its her house and her rules. When they visit here in the US, and my husband decides to barbeque, she goes into panic mode. Will follow me around in the kitchen to make sure I don't touch her food etc.I purposely touch it ("this is on the edge of the shelf, let me move it". "My elbows 'accidentally' brush against the vessel when reaching for a spoon behind the cooker" etc). She is very shrewd and never says anything while my H is around. But she'll make a face and then wont eat anything :) Same with periods :)

yellowmango, sindmani and BhumiBabe like this.
  7. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I burst out laughing, reading your post. So evil, but hilarious and a satisfying way to make your point.

8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

In this age ,if people have problem with women on periods,they should look for a man for their son.No issues of periods then .Marry the pure ones.:rolleyes:

9. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Touché.

Dishaa likes this.