1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Discussing about Schools on First Birthday of toddler

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Rajapriyab, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Rajapriyab

Rajapriyab Bronze IL'ite

Hi Friends,

Recently we celebrated my DDs first birthday. When we went to give invitation to our relatives, some of them started to ask like this
    Which school u have decided to put her?
    Did you collect the fees details of all the schools nearby?
    Which foreign language you have selected to teach her?
    What are the extracuricullar activities you planned for her?
    etc.,

I was really shocked when I heard this kind of questions. I was about to shout at them "Please Stop this.. She is just 1 now"..But somehow I controlled my anger.

Later when I think about this, am really worried now. 1 year went just like that and next 1 year also will fly. After her second birthday, i have to look for the schools and all.

I am just thinking about my childhood days. No play school, No KG, No pre KG and all. When I was 5, I joined in the school for first standard. First 5 years were really good and till now if i see my photos playing with friends during childhood times, I will become happy.

But My kid... she will not get chances for this and all..Once she start to speak, she have to go to school...But no other go..to compete in this world she has to run in race like this from now itself.. :(

Ladies, do you think this education system is correct? when your kids are joined in the school? what was your mindset at that time?

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

H Rajapriyab
    what you say is right in the name of education we are taking away kids rights to grow at their pace....

3. Ezhil518

Ezhil518 Bronze IL'ite

Even I was thinking the same yesterday..we planned to settle in coimbatore after my husband finishes his Ph.D in canada. So i was browsing the list of schools yesterday in coimbatore..my son is 11months old now....If you see the schools website you have to look for admission one year before we admit the kids to school...so if we wish to admit around 2.5years we have to start looking when he is around 1 year old....

The kids will enjoy the school life as long as the parents follow these points:
    1. At any point, dont compare with other kids. Each kid has their own talent
    2. Don't send him to extra classes after school..let the kid play for sometime and can sit & study with you
    3. Mark alone is not the main criteria ...so dont aim for marks/higher grades..aim on how much content the kid understands and relates the study with the real life...
    4. The parents/grandparents should spend their time in making the study or reading an enjoyable time...instead of sending the kids to tuition..

The education system is good but it's the parents who is spoiling the kids play life by comparing with others and then sending him/her to too many extra classes without knowing whether he/she likes to go or not...

In general majority of the parents expectation is to make their kids as doctor or engineer...I have seen in many homes as soon as the kids started to talk the only question that comes to their mind is "do you want to become an engineer or doctor"? ...Even the friends or relatives who come to our house will ask the same question to the kid. Even the students who got state rank would say I wish to become a doctor...Every year I would expect atleast one student would say a different answer ...mmm no every year I saw the same answer from them.
    This is my point of view..correct me if I am wrong..

2 people like this.