Discuss woodwork and modular kitchen

Discussion in 'Housing' started by Shanvy, Mar 4, 2007.

1. pvrashmi

pvrashmi New IL'ite

Hi Smitha,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am yet to complete 10 posts for the month!! :) It would be great if u could PM me the number. Also if possible could you please post some pics?

Regards
    Rashmi

2. pvrashmi

pvrashmi New IL'ite

Hi Smitha,

I received your PM. Thanks for the reference. We will contact him soon.

Dear IL members,

It would be great if anyone else also can provide reference of good carpenters.

3. vsharma

vsharma Platinum IL'ite

4. Smitham84

Smitham84 Gold IL'ite

2013-05-21_10-40-20_833.jpg 2013-06-22_15-37-45_944.jpg 20130817_204121.jpg 20130817_204139.jpg 20130817_203958.jpg

Hi Rashmi ,

Hope u talked to the carpenter . Pls find some of the pics as u asked .

4 people like this.
  5. pvrashmi

pvrashmi New IL'ite

Hi Smitha,

Apologies for the late reply. We'll be meeting him this Saturday. Thanks once again!! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Smitham84

Smitham84 Gold IL'ite

7. keechu

keechu New IL'ite

Hi!!thankyou for enlightning me with watever u posted in here!i ve bght a new house at chennai nd am planning to strt the interior wrks..mainly focussing on my area d kitchen but since my budget is nt ver high i was planning on finishing my int decoration within 6 lakhs( the whole 1350 sqft. Flat) but wen i read the about post wer sme1 said it costed her 4 lakhs to do dat mod kichen i ws heary broken thinkin fr kitchen itself if its gona b 4lkhs wat abt the rest of the hse!!wil i b able to atleast give a descent luk to my hse:( ...but aft cng ur posts i brightened up..yes i am gona do more n more studies(evnthough if its gna b tuf wid my 1 yr old toddler arnd) regarding the interiors 2 b done before hiring a interior decorator or a carpenter or whomsoever!;)
    Thanks a lot!

8. keechu

keechu New IL'ite

That was a reply to this post by sumimusik

City
    State
    Country
    India
    Blog Entries
    Re: Modular Kitchen Cabinet

Hi,
    I think all u guys, have found one easy solution-Giving the job to some company and forget about the whole thing..Me,being an Interior designer in chennai find these rates so expensive.For that matter,any Interior designer would agree to what I say.

1. All u guys,need is a person known who would'nt run with your money.
    2.Go to somebody known or thru friends..
    3.Ask a lot of questions...What material goes in ...
    4.Ask yourself-if these ready made kitchen which looks very modern great or the one with utility factor..
    5.Best quality Runners/slides can be incorporated ...
    6.Choosing colours thru the hundred of laminates available these days...quality and trens not an issue
    7.Working according to the space than using the available sizes only...which most of the modular kitchens do
    8.Hinges -on an MDF may not last b'cos--the frequent the use- the faster the strength on the powdered wood...
    There are many more advantages...so..think twice...go to a known Interior designer ...

I have been in this field for 5 years now and know how these companies use-MDF(Medium density fibres board-)which are basically powdered wood compressed on heat and then placed between 2 thin sheets of plywood,then they put a film to give that shiny look.What we should use is 100% water proof plywood which is the BEST quality.
    These days there is quality and availabilty of materials.Ask questions...Educate yourself.Getting the work done with a carpenter using solid plywood may take more time but it LASTS LONGER too and LESS PROBLEM of Maintanence in the future...

9. k11

k11 Silver IL'ite

Hi, Look at my post.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/h...dwork-and-modular-kitchen-37.html#post2616448

You can get most of the stuff done cheaply or make it expensive. It all depends on you.
    6L is not a bad budget.

For a small kitchen you can build a lot with in that range.
    Even 2.5 to 3L might be enough.

Most people in this board are NRIs/IT folks or people who do not have time. So they go for interior decorators.
    If you have time and can shop around, you can get the material easily and get everything for much cheaper.

You can also negotiate labor too. We paid like 180rs/sqft for loft and some 250 and odd for regular cabinets. I do not remember the figures. Most of our workers are from N India. The kitchen was done by Rajasthani guys and false ceiling and other works by UP guys. Most of my focus was on living room, furniture, etc. Kitchen was low priority as it was not a open kitchen type apt. So I also did not go crazy.

I do enjoy shopping and customizing myself. So if you are into to it, you can also learn a lot.
    Also you do not need to do everything at one shot, just do one by one.

1 person likes this.
  10. keechu

keechu New IL'ite

Hi k11!

Thanx a lot for all those information its so rich!!!sadly later only realised i had to google out most of the things mentioned in ur post..lolz jst kidding;)well definitely i'll transform frm a novice to an expert in this field slowly after i start up with all the work..

Btw u at US nw rite werz ur place in chennai?am settled at ambattur..is det ny1 else in here from ambattur??is there an official IL group in fb?well i found lots and was confused to which group i shud be sending a request..