Discovery

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Viswamitra, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Everyday, we spent so much time learning something or the other throughout our lives. As many threads pointed out here, there is no end to learning and it is a life-long exercise. But this thread is not about what we have learned today about the world or others but what we have learned about ourselves. This thread is to share something new that we have discovered about ourselves. It could be a capability that was never found for many years but indulgence in this new territory has become a fulfilling period in life now. It could also be something most around us always knew about us but we discovered ourselves about a trait that we never knew before. Or it could be something we always knew about us but struggle to fix for a prolonged period of time.

I know if it is negative, it needs a lot of courage for us to share it here but without sharing too many personal details, is there a way to share something in our lives that we would like to change? It could be a habit or behavior or temperament or attitude or anything else, one would like to share here. I am going to give an example here.

Not only many have told me but I have also recognized for years that when I am hungry, it substantially impacts my patience level. I get intimidated very easily before I eat my first meal of the day or if I stay hungry during any period. I am conscious of this habit of mine always but unable to overcome that even today. I am not sure what is the connection between the food and this habit but it exists together in me which I am trying to overcome.

Rihana, kkrish, Gauri03 and 2 others like this.

2. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

First, I can relate to this reflective thread.

Discovered that I could brazenly risk it and thereafter recover from turn of events faster than contemplate the risk for long and rut away.

[Do it, burned, rinse and repeat!] than [harrowing think, indecisiveness, stuck in life].

For a long period, I sustained immense attention whilst watching cartoons/anime, realised, I could replicate that indulgence on factual documentaries also. Something I discovered later in my life. Both appeal to me now.

When certain people in my life explain to me the fallibility in my argument with precision and wit, I am impressed with their sensibility and language and withdraw my argument. I want to be like them, one day.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra Sir,

Nice reflective thread.

I was totally involved with my family duties and hobbies other than writing. Precisely in September 2014, I started writing and with that I feel I have grown a lot as a person and I have been able to connect meaningfully with many people and learn a lot too.

This is quite common. As the sugar levels go down, most people (even non-diabetics) experience irritability and some confusion. That is why having timely food is essential.

kkrish, Gauri03, Adharv and 2 others like this.
  4. Viswamitra

That was me for a fairly long period of time. I prefer to do things and get burned than procrastinating what to do. Now, I am indulging a little bit in consequence study but not to the extent of risking doing nothing.

Graphology, behavioral study and ratio analysis excited me the most and I was able to replicate that of late into spirituality and study of mind.

This is invaluable experience. This is the type of feedback I was looking to get when I wrote my thread. I stopped at recognizing their point and withdrawing my argument but never contemplated what it takes to become like them. It is something I need to work on.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

You discovered your capability very well. We all benefit from your writings here in IL.

Point well noted. I will keep my stomach happy from now on to listen more. :)

Thyagarajan and GeetaKashyap like this.
  6. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

I went through my own meditative phase to recognise why I was subordinated in other’s standing — impulsive language, disjointed frame of mind, lacking distinctive education. Took me time and insanity to clamber upward. In general, am wary about the monologued me going on and on and on till even the dinosaurs come home on the ‘influences’ nursed by me because pointers like mine could be ‘distractions or irrelevance or at worst obstacles’ (as nicely worded by Varoufakis on his fear to get scrutinisingly reflective by waylaying an unsuspecting onlooker about stuff that perhaps matters only to him and not to a larger audience who simply want to get on with their lives) in a public-spirited undertaking like this thread.

I contemplate much to transform into the emulation or sourced impression I have built for myself.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Rather than discovery as the title suggests it's a kind of learning about myself. More sort of realization . As learning is continuous process of life I'm continuing to learn a lot and unleash my hidden potential ;)
    Two important things that so far I have learn about myself is
    1) Yes I can be patient.
    2) Anger is not everything.
    Why patience?
    I'm an extremely impatient person by nature. I won't blame myself. This trait has been passed to me from my dad who is extremely impatient . Be it food , or waiting for someone, or many things in life patience is something which was never my character. Now certain instances after marriage has made me develop this trait . I have learnt that some difficulties which I faced with family , personally etc is life's way of teaching me patience . Some lessons are learnt the hard way! But not that I have changed completely. I'm evolving to be a better person and it's a process which probably I will continue to learn life long .
    2) Now for someone who is impatient, getting angry is inevitable . Again I am blaming on my genes . I have not seen my dad's dad.. But I heard that he used to have extreme anger issues. It got continued in me. I am not even sure such things are genetic. :laughing::laughing: but to satisfy myself I'll put it that way .but as I said life has its own way of teaching us few lessons . Slowly steadily I have been forcefully made to realize by my husband that getting angry is such a waste of our time and energy. I do get angry but I must say frequency has reduced drastically. At one point being married to this calm family made me suppress this uncontrollable emotion. It led to a different kind of issue in me. This feeling shouldn't be supressed but avoided altogether . Because once you are angry u have to bring it out. Other option is don't get angry at all.

Let's see what all lessons life teaches as we move forward. Long way to go and loads of things to learn.

8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:irresprctive the nature and quantm of breakfast, I sometimes used to have voracious appetite before lunch hour between 1 to 2 setting the mood on the brim of anger or rage or nettlesome.
    2. I would open the fridge look for dry fruits, nuts and of course chocolate and raisins. An handful of these i eat and my mind and mood is calm and steady to go about the routine such as bath prayer etc before lunch.
    3. In the absence of nuts, a cup of one type of cut fruits enough to quell the hunger for another 30 minutes. A mixture of cut fruits before a strong appetite tend to cause prolonged indigestion in my case being senior citizen perhaps.
    3. If one had return from outdoor after long walk in sun, it is better to remain calm in shade or indoors for a while and drink plain water with lime in small sips and swallow steadily.
    4. Once anger developed in the body and suppressed can lead the person to suffer from headache, twitching, quivering or flutter in stomach harmony imbalance and if this continues as a habit it can give raise to other serious health issues. One should learn to remain calm in difficult times otherwise cortisol harmony production increases affecting the health.
    5. Once anger is developed it is better to release it in a subtle manner.
    6. Many DILs especially in joint family suffer in the first few months with prolonged suppressed anger and fear resulting in health issues affecting their health and the baby in the womb .
    I FIND CHOCOLATE AND SHARE IT WITH my family when to confront stressed situation. It serves as mood enhancer.
    Thanks and regards.
    GOD controls everything except anger.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Gauri03, GeetaKashyap and Viswamitra like this.
  9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

To me also chocolate is a mood enhancer.
    Syamala

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Mistt, Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.