Disadvantages of living in 2nd floor/last floor

Discussion in 'Housing' started by Gokool, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Gokool

Gokool New IL'ite

I found an apt which is on the 2nd floor, the building is of G+2 structure. The area is quite good,close proximity from the main road and it also has open terrace on the back side of the apartment.
    But I am worried about the heat,rental and resale factors. The building do not have a lift!

The apartment is in United Colony medavakkam which is just 400mts from the medavakkam main road.

I may not live in the apartment its just for investment purpose, the strange part is almost all the builders say only the top floors are available! Thats so strange to me!

Please share your thoughts on this.

Thanks
    Gokul

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

2. arianashok

arianashok New IL'ite

Hi Gokul,

Heat is the biggest factor of them all. I have seen people complaining that despite having false ceiling and other modern ways to beat the heat, living in the Chennai summer heat is not comfortable at all. I was interested in a few bigger projects in Medavakkam, but had to opt out due to the non-availability of non-top floors.

Then you have water seepage problem from water tank for the top floor.

In your case, the lack of lifts in G+2 apartments is a concern as well. While it is not problem to use the stairs for a 2nd floor apartment, it might be difficult for elders or when you carry heavy objects.

Regards,
    Ashok

3. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

I agree ,heat is a problem on the top floor and without lift,people prefer less

4. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Heat and also lift.. Like when we were searching for a flat we wanted only first floor with a house on top so that ther is less heat and also its easy to climb..

5. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

Heat, Lift, Water Problems..Top floor never gets rented out and loses its resale value....

6. k11

k11 Silver IL'ite

I agree. Will have both Rental and Resale issues if you do not have lift.
    At least there are some ways to deal with the heat.

It is better to pay extra and take lower floor if you do not have lift.

Even ground floor ones are bad in my view especially if there is a concrete external floor as they tend to reflect heat. More dust, Sewage overflow issues if there is a problem (rains), lack of privacy, etc.

First floor is the best in low rises.