1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diminishing Grey Cells And Diminishing Memory In Old Age

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Jun 21, 2017.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

@girvani
    Dear Vani,
    Glad to know that you enjoyed reading the conversation between me and Satchi.

Normally those who are studying when they want to momorise something like poems, tables, formulas etc they do read loudly. Even if we want to learn any sthothrams or pasurams, only if we read loudly we can memorise them. In fact if we keep reading aloud for a few days automatically it sticks to our memory.

There are some people who without reading aloud can't understand what they are reading.

Reading aloud builds many important fundamental skills, introduces vocabulary, provides a model of fluent, expressive reading and helps children recognize what reading for pleasure is all about.

Reading aloud has many benefits, but talking aloud when alone will make people think that we have become insane.

Writing things we have to do is a good habit. Previously many companies and banks used to give calendars and diaries as complimentary to their customers. Now everything becoming paperless, SMS and online statement has become the norm of the day. I have started writing my journal in laptop or iPad and save it online.
    PS

satchitananda and iyerviji like this.
  2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

My dear Mami
    Like Girvani I also talk loud when I want to by heart something During school days I was very fast in by hearting. I did know that time I should understand then I can learn fast.

Due to old age I also dont remember. I ask God to remind me and u wont believe many times He has helped me. Always while going out i check everything but sometimes get do ubt whether I have. Closed the gas then pray to God

satchitananda likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Smt. Srinivasan:

Through your snippet of yours, you have given a new life to me as I talk a lot to myself. You are so right. Expression in words gives more energy to our thoughts. I was under the impression that I was becoming insane and may be my brain wired itself to talk on my own to keep it in tact.

Who can find the ways of the brain how it works? Even the best of neuro- surgeons say clearly that what they know about the functions of the brain is very limited. Even writing snippets gives some kind of mental activity for all of us.

Let the next generation solve crossword puzzles and work on video games and let us talk to ourselves. Nowadays, people will think we have bluetooth in our ears. :)

Viswa

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Viji,
    Even youngsters also have this memory problem. They make it a point to make note of important things to be done.

Certain things are done by us without registering it in the mind. Normally we put off the gas as soon as the work is over.
    Nice to know that God reminded you and helped you so many times.
    PS

5. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Haha Sachi, true.....maybe we have to talk random stuff....

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Mr Viswa,
    Glad to know that you also talk aloud to yourself and it boosts my morale that I have company in this bizarre habit of mine.
    Let the people think that we have Bluetooth in our years. We don't have to bother about it. :hmmm:
    PS

7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Girvani, when we do a teachers' training course, the first thing we are taught is the psychology of learning. Basically learners are classified into different types. Of course one can be any one or a combination of these types. One type learns by listening, the other by seeing, another by speaking and some by touch - hands-on - and yet others by writing. Basically we are sending information to the brain through different senses. Learning also involves retention of what we have learned which is better done if we combine as many methods as possible. So when we need to remember something, the thought if followed by talking aloud as well as by listening or in your case by writing down a list ensures that we remember better.

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Smt. Srinivasan:

I am sorry for this interruption.

Dear Vani,

Here is my 2 cents to add to what Satchi said above.

Whenever, we associate a thought with another action or emotion, this thought gets energized more and like burning the CD, our memory about this thought gets burned in a way it can't be erased until it is executed. For example, if you meet a person in a casual setting, you may not remember the meeting. But if she is well-dressed, had a remarkable mannerism, a particular style of talking, you remember this meeting for long. If a person talked rudely to you, your emotions were affected by such talk so much and you shared it with your husband, you would never forget that conversation. When your daughter walked the first time and you happened to have your smartphone with you and captured her first walk, you would never forget her first walk when it happened without even looking at the date in the smart phone.

Viswa