1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dilemma Regarding Elementary School

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by smrithys, Apr 24, 2019.

1. smrithys

smrithys Silver IL'ite

Hi @Mehana,
    Thank you. Yes, I got to know the ethnicity percentage and the ratings from greatschools website. I pressed my pediatrician to refer me to the school district and they did. The school district said she is not eligible for any services. I think that only if you are below 7 percentile in any of the areas, they can provide services. Anyways, our Dr said we can go back to the school district evaluation at any point in the future if the need arises.

2. smrithys

smrithys Silver IL'ite

Hi @anika987,
    Thanks for your reply. That is an interesting suggestion. I will checkout Montessori schools for ages 6+
    On a side note, I have benefitted a lot from your other parenting posts as well Anika! Keep going.

anika987 likes this.
  3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I will second @sokanasanah suggestion. Limit the screen time and read to her more often.
    Take her to library or a children’s museum (or equivalent) during weekends. That way she will be introduced to different things and might get interested in writing.
    She is only 5, don’t worry about writing.
    Regarding schools, my son (kindergarten age) is in a public school with a very few Asians ( our school is 90% Caucasian). I don’t know about other schools but my son gets a daily report sheet about his day/ activity/participation etc. (they have a color scheme). Homework is minimum in kindergarten and mostly fun activities that they learn from. For instance, one of his homework was to adopt a “potato baby”, name it and write a story about it.
    I beg to differ, kids are kids- some are more motivated than others. I haven’t noticed any kids trying to make my child not do his homework in the after school program.

smrithys and Rihana like this.
  4. smrithys

smrithys Silver IL'ite

Hi @nuss,
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. Those are nice suggestions. It is good to know about your feedback regarding public schools and I agree that motivation is the key.

5. smrithys

smrithys Silver IL'ite

At the risk of being called a worry wart, I have another concern. My DD does not mingle a lot with other kids her age (4 years) and I was wondering how that will impact her at school. I understand that Kindergartner's have a recess of about 15 minutes. During that time, do all the kids go outside to the play areas?

nuss likes this.
  6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

At my son's school, yes, they all go out during recess. They have 3 recess. My son is also very shy, it takes him time to make friends. In his classroom, kids switch tables and are in a new group every other week. That way they get to mingle with all 20 kids. Will any other kid from her daycare go to the same public school? My son was glad to see another girl from his daycare in the same kindergarten class. they have been inseparable all year.

smrithys likes this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Happy to know that:)

8. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

Hi Smrithy,
    Nobody will call you worry wart :). Yours is the normal concerns and worries of the mother of a preschool child.
    My son was extremely shy,when he started School here. Also he was not speaking much English because we always talk in our native language at home.I was worried like hell,when he started School. But let me assure you, these kids are better than we give them the credit for. They will pick it up and mingling with each other in no time. Below link may help you.
    5 Simple Steps To Teach Your Child How to Make Friends

smrithys likes this.
  9. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Do enroll her in extra classes which motivates her. Also you can search OT/motor skill activities in Pinterest that will benefit a lot

smrithys likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@smrithys

After reading your OP, I agree with @anika987 's suggestion of a Montessori - this will help your child ease in many ways and help you as a parent to understand her and her learning style better! Hope you find a school that suits her and you. Best wishes.

smrithys and anika987 like this.