1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dilemma Regarding Elementary School

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by smrithys, Apr 24, 2019.

1. smrithys

smrithys Silver IL'ite

Hello everyone,

I have a daughter who will enter elementary school soon. I am trying to decide which type of school might suit her. We live in California. I have been told by her preschool teachers that my daughter loses focus easily and needs to be reminded constantly to pay attention. We changed to another preschool and the same thing happened. She is more attentive in smaller groups or if the activity is really of interest to her.

I initially thought that a public school might be a better fit, considering the fact that they might be able to provide some additional support (504 plan, etc) if required. However, a couple of acquaintances who have grown up children say that private school would be better as the teachers make sure that no one is left out and send out notes to keep the parents informed.

Another issue, is regarding the rating of public schools. In general, higher the % of asian population, higher the rating of public school. I am not very keen on sending her to top ranked public schools given that she has concentration issues and I don’t want her to be under pressure and its very competitive. But again, I heard that an average ranked public school has comparatively less asians, and more students from other ethnicities and it can have some drawbacks too.

Ladies, I would like to hear from you some suggestions/ your personal experiences.

anika987 likes this.

2. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Hi @smrithys
    1)Can you check on magnet or charter schools I heard they have good diversity and since funding is better teachers are good.
    2)Check with your paediatrician for any vitamin deficiency or mineral deficiency...in general better to ask doc.
    3) make her physically active, daily take her to park, arrange play dates, engage her in gymnastics or any other mind body coordinate works, gardening things watering, rolling chapatis, picking veggies in stores... this will increase her attention spans.
    Recently I saw a YouTube video of Dr. Aarti Rajaratnam (child pysch) that child attention span is age+3 min.
    4)Just make her do all sorts of Montessori based activities at home. There so many YouTube videos, websites available.
    I dont know if you're are SHAM or working mom. If SHAM engage her in all activities from picking veg to laundry. Sit with her talk to her.
    5) cut down sugar, sodium, all sorts of packed snacks, cookies, icecream, artificial food color, plastic cups, candies, chocolates, chips. Give protein rich food, nuts, veggies, fruits and whole grains.
    Main culprit is food.
    6) Pvt schools are expensive, may be you can enroll her for elementary.
    7) really no idea with other ethnicities.
    8) avg rated school, imo 7 is good according to me.
    Hope it helps

smrithys and Sweth123 like this.
  3. smrithys

smrithys Silver IL'ite

Hi @Vedhavalli,
    Thank you very much for giving me good pointers! Really appreciate it.
    Yes, I have been voicing my concerns to pediatrician as well. Your suggestions regarding food and activities are very helpful.
    Regarding school rating, during regular school hours I guess it is fine. But, the kids have more chance to interact during after hours facility at the school site. I am a working mom and so my daughter would attend the after school program at the school site. One of my friend's said that during after hours some kids try to persuade the other children to not do homework, etc. Whereas, asian kids are more likely to be sincere and complete their homework. Again this is what I heard from my friend.

4. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I will tell what helped my friend with her kid of similar age group of yours.
    1) First thing Pediatrician asked was her food habits.Food plays the major part in most of the issues.Ensure child gets enough protein.Kids require 0.45 gram of protein per pound of body weight. You don't need to do the math and all. But ensure she gets good quality protein like boiled eggs ( if you eat eggs),roasted nuts, moong dal, 2 glasses of milk or yogurt like greek yogurt etc.

Some foods that works for my own kid is curd rice with greek yogurt with some vegetables and vegetables and moong dal paratha,also the bread or bun pizza with wholegrain bread and grated vegetables with little bit of colby jack and parmesan cheese. Also fruits,try to give it in the form of milkshakes and even mixed in main meals like apple parathas,pineapple pulav etc. I know,it will be difficult for a working mom but with a little planning you can do it.

2) Don't worry too much about the homeworks and School,atleast for now. She is just a preschooler. You talk to her about the topics that interests her. For my son,it was cars and Dinosaurs :). Try to introduce new vocabulary every time you talks.You can even tell her some small sequence stories with attractive picture cards. There are many free resources online too. Slowly she will develop interest.
    3) Relax, don't worry too much. She will pick it up all soon. Best wishes!

smrithys likes this.
  5. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

@smrithys

I +1 to all the above suggestions. In addition to above :

First of all, IMHO, she is just a kid, a pre schooler so relax.

-> Please see if she has interest towards anything other than the work that we give, may be she likes to do something different?

I moved from CA to VA, which area you are in CA ?
    Actually school ratings not only goes by education it has so many other factors example what type of kids come to school etc.,(meaning parents income et.,) Ex: in the place I live school rating is 3 because most of the areas that come under that school are government subsidized apts so kids of low income people come mostly hispanics so obviously they struggle a lot to get english alphabets to start with. So whatever school your kid goes to, you will have opportunities to go to school volunteer, mingle with other kids etc., so dont stress out too much but try to find some alternatives.

I am sure your kid might have other interests for example my elder kid can play hours and hours even if you give her small rubber band, so the same way she can watch hours and hours of tv, hours and hours play initially, now she says "Mommy I am bored in next 5 minutes"..where as my younger one can't sit at one place more than 5 minutes , but over all end of the day my younger one achieves a lot than my elder one.

For the first 2 years of public school , it is good to have mixed crowd that way we too understand a lot of stuff not known to us and eventually kids have to deal with those people.

I hope it helps.

Good Luck for the Schooling!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    smrithys likes this.
  6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

A couple of additions to the above:
    Get rid of your television.
    Regulate/ration access to other screens.
    :beer-toast1:

nuss, Sunshine04 and smrithys like this.
  7. smrithys

smrithys Silver IL'ite

Hi @deepthyanoop
    Thank you for the response.
    I will definitely try to increase her protein uptake. I really like your idea about making curd rice with greek yogurt and the other healthy food preparations. I have this tendency to worry too much:anguished: and think too much about the future:BangHead:
    My daughter has specific interests too and I try to tailor her activities around that theme.

8. smrithys

smrithys Silver IL'ite

Hi @peddadas,
    Thanks a lot for your response.
    1) She is interested in Disney characters, animals and dolls and can go on playing with them hours together. But doesn't like to do any writing activity. Even for making her draw a straight line, I used to draw a Mickey Mouse and ice cream and ask her to join the two :grimacing:
    2) We live in the BayArea. What you told about the school ratings is very true. Eventually our kids have to deal with the mixed crowd in the real world. But, I am just concerned about making the right choices for her.

9. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

You can check in great schools.org for rating and other academic scores for your location.

Yes as others said check her food chart make sure she gets all.

Go do school tour if you need. If you still concern talk to your pediatrician and get referral to neurologist. Since you are in USA you should able to do all this in short span of time and the evaluation report will give you an idea( just to reduce your confusion).

smrithys likes this.
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Several Montessori schools have beyond elementary schools too.small groups and individual attention but the only con is you need to pay the school fees unlike public school.

smrithys likes this.