1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Difficult Situation, What To Do

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by lavi2016, Jun 1, 2018.

1. lavi2016

lavi2016 New IL'ite

I am the mother of a college bound kid. Have been having problems in married life because of over interference of inlaws. Couple of years back, I completely stopped entertaining his guests and talking to his parents because they were basically running our lives from ecen thousands of miles away. From then on they use every opportunity to fill his years and now feel he is just their puppet. We live as bitter roommates and as I am slowly adjusting to this new situation a new problem started. In our last india visit, inlaws noticed kids are very close to me, now they keep filling him to get close to kids otherwise no one will take care of him in old age. My husband is implementing this advice in such a bad way, not realizing he is ruining their life. Teenage kids want freedom and irresponsible about several things and he interferes in everything when I am strict with them. He wants to be the nicer parent by just letting them do what they want. He gets some sadistic pleasure when they argue with me and adds fuel to it by feeding them she is like that only, did this and this to
    My relatives and me. How do I even deal with this situation? I can see the kids manipulating the situation and the distance growing. I don't care if he gets closer to them but am just concerned where this will lead to and how they will be impacted. Everytime I try to explain not to use them for his agenda, either he doesn't get it or is happy he pulled them away from me.

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Personal thoughts on this, a mothers love is stronger than any other. Teenage tends to be tough. But make sure you communicate well with them, have some mom n kids time, tell them a mom's job comes with its strictness n it's your duty to be tough to discipline them. That infact makes you a good mom because you care enough to worry about their overall welfare and teach them the right things. Tell them that you love them, so you will continue doing so. At the same time, don't forget to have happy, fun time with them.

Don't argue in front of your husband. If there's some difference, take that kid to the room n work it out. Don't give your hubby a chance to come in between you n the kids n make each n every argument worser.

Trust your upbringing, n continue to do so. Stay away n keep the kids away from the in laws. Don't show them your real love which will make them come at you with more evil plans.

Generally once kids comes to their mid 20s or later or get over the teenage / challenging phase, they will come to their moms for everything. The love never diminishes until unless you are truly an evil mother. So don't worry. They will learn what their father n grandparents are doing. Kids are very smart, they understand all this sooner or later.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    sindmani, lavi2016 and messedup like this.
  3. lavi2016

lavi2016 New IL'ite

Sometimes just writing down here clears your mind I feel. Thanks for your post, it provided the much needed support. Definitely need to handle the situation in a very wise manner, especially not giving an opportunity to in-laws to involve too much in our lives. Everything fine for now, but from past experience the moment I let my guard down a new situation occurs.

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Lavi, have you considered couples counselling? The kids are older now; they understand things better now. An intervention will help leaps and bounds. In this day and age, we just cannot expect kids to take care of us in old age. That is why there is so much focus on savings for retirement. Ultimately, he loves his kids. I am sure that he will do what he thinks is best for them. But, it cant come from you. It has to come from a third person or someone he trusts.

A small date, one-on-one with the kids will help a lot in terns of bonding. My mom and I had issues during those teenage years. I remember he taking me to movies (alone) and we used to watch a movie and go for a nice ice cream after. Something like that…that way, you show the kids your “fun” side.

5. lavi2016

lavi2016 New IL'ite

The problem is he receives lot of one side counselling from his parents and they have lot of conspiracy theories because of holding back their interference.
    He is of the mindset all the counselors in US may favor women too. So called well wishers in India tend to talk from a male perspective. My inlaws did want to have such panchayats and neither me or my family encourage that at all.
    So now being passive aggressive with kids. For example: I take care of shopping, all their schedules, etc.
    But he does drive and drop and pick them up mainly because I have to take care of house, cooking, dishes, clothes, managing cleaners, handymen too. And the most damage done during this time. For example: he has flexibility during work so he goes and drops them during lunch for an activity. It has been just happening for a week, already kids started saying when he can do why you can't and all.
    He brainwashes them somehow that it is he who is taking all the trouble for them.
    I am having mother daughter counselling first starting next week. Couples counseling, I feel once his dad stops, we maybe back to normal. Until then, noone can undo their effect. He loves the kids, but his dad is more powerful maybe than even that love and plus they are capable of convincing what they are saying is for the good of both him and the kids. It is just so much venom they are spewing, even a few drops here and there is enough to cause havoc.

6. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

oh my god. college bound kid. it means he or she is around 18 to 19. and you guys are late 40s or early 50. stlll your H has not cut his umbleecul cord. by this time men or women focus on saving and their kid education.

just do what is right as a parent. kids are not stupid. this is just a phase . stop worrying about kid taking care when old. future is not in your hand.

counselling is waste , after so many years. people do not change. focus on your health, less stress and kids.

your child cannot misbehave to you. let them know that. do what is right. rest is in god's hands.

7. lavi2016

lavi2016 New IL'ite

We both came in late 90's, both from very humble backgrounds. First few years, we not only had to take care of ourselves but provide all expenses and home for his family and help my family till my own siblings settle. We had some differences initially but not as much because not lot of extended family of his were in US. When my inlaws came too it was like they were king of the house, spent how much they wanted, did whatever they want. Fortunately we both did very well career wise so didn't mind at that time and everything much cheaper in India and here compared to now.
    Unfortunately now, our expenses have increased. Kid going to a good college with high tuition fee and don't want to deny her that opportunity. We did sell some property in India for it which was bought with money we sent in early 2000's and appreciated very well, and the money is with in-laws which they don't ever openly say they don't want to give but definitely that is one of their issue they have with me. They think their son doesn't care but dil wants it. Plus, now lot of extended family coming to US, with that comes their boasting about their visits to kids and gifts, etc. My in-laws always want to project they are not money minded and they care more for relationships and all, which I initially thought so too. But slowly, their insecurities, comparisons with their own brothers, sisters, are surfacing(who were very poor at the time of our marriage but kids came here in the last 20 years and doing better now) and definitely not liking they don't have the same freehand in our lives as before. Plus lot of emotional blackmailing with my husband that he is not taking care of his parents. Yes, we are in our 40's and now we have all these. Just shows how complex human relationships can be.

8. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

@lavi2016,

You are not alone. Just to ease your mind....I can share my side of the story....

We were on vacation with another family. My DH and her DH are class mates, still very good friends. She said, her sister sent her a stack of stretched silk 'kurta' for her and she was wearing kurta in many colors, daily. The discussion came up about her upcoming India trip; her nephew is getting married soon, he is doing his masters in India (medical MD) and so on. Later she said, she sent 100K for her nephew's higher studies.

No wonder, she has silk kurta in every color from her sister! Her DH was saying, once the money is sent to India, you will never get it back (may be, in stack of silk kurta, only) That's the reality.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    shravs3 likes this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My response to my teenaged DD on all the whys in life:

I want you to be a strong independent woman capable of taking the car and taking yourself to whatever activity you signed up for. I’m doing my job viz - preparing you to face the wold. Hence I won’t cook your breakfast/do your laundry/clean your room/wake you up in the morning/drive you to school or do other things that I deem should be done by you. I also add in the senti dialogue of - “you will know when I’m no longer around and then you will thank me”.

Reverse brain wash. Tell the daughter that strong women develop personalities before they leave home for college. Molly coddling them takes away opportunities for them to learn and be independent. You want her to be truly self sufficient in college. It won’t happen overnight. She has to experience going places herself and making her own way in her comfort zone before leaving the nest.

sindmani likes this.
  10. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

dup

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018