1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Different Opinions

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Giri12, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Giri12

Giri12 Gold IL'ite

Although ours is love marriage we hav totally different concepts about God n hav total different views on how to show love towards almighty
    I am all traditional way. Chanting mantras doing poojas visiting temples following rules n rituals while he says why to go in temple when u hav one in house why to give money to temple donate it to poor. Why u follow rituals etc etc
    We every year went to a temple where we hav to travel by train n wait in a big queue now everytime we go he just complaints so much n threats me everytime not to go. We hav not performed any ritual together after marriage as he dislikes all like satyanarayan pooja.
    I do respect different opinions but this one is difficult to digest
    What is ur opinion on this n do tell if u also faced something similar

2. Giri12

Giri12 Gold IL'ite

One more point to add his parents are all traditional so i end up doing all poojas alongwith them while he stays out of it.

Anusha2917 likes this.
  3. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

I faced it and still facing it.. My husband is just like yours.. In fact ditto. I am like you.. Ditto situation. If u ever find a solution share it with me. I'll also learn . I'm stuck between my beliefs and his.. Neither can convince each other ...

rupz, GeetaKashyap and Giri12 like this.
  4. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Can it be any similar ... :grinning::grinning: Same situation @Giri12

Giri12 likes this.
  5. peet1983

peet1983 Silver IL'ite

I think until unless he personaly feel or understand the necessity of doing all these prayers, its difficult to involve him for everything. We cannot force anyone and no use also if we do so.
    Another solution is to make him to think is such a way that, i should listen to my wife as it may hurt her feelings if I don't.

Anyway atleast parents are with you so you are able to do it yourself. Live positively.

6. Giri12

Giri12 Gold IL'ite

@peet1983 Thanku for sharing ur view.
    Sometimes this also bothers me because i instantly feel that inlaws hav great bonding opportunity by doing rituals together while we missed that. Still i try to remain positive as he is really good husband
    Also as u said to tell him that it is hurting me he actually wants me to change my mind. He says i m the one understanding the concept wrongly so its not working

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  7. Giri12

Giri12 Gold IL'ite

Actually felt sorry for you to hear that because i know this is quite frustating. Hope to get concrete solutions via this thread which will be helpfull for both of us

Anusha2917 likes this.
  8. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Hi @Giri12 ,

I can relate to what you and Anusha feel.

Some of the lessons I have learnt are:

It is a futile exercise to try and change spouses.

In a marriage, ideally, even if one doesn't believe in the other's belief, for the sake of peace and happiness at home, some cooperation should be extended voluntarily.

When the thoughts are poles apart, least interference is a blessing.

Believers should also rationalise that ultimately religion and rituals are man-made and they can be tweaked a bit to maintain the most essential peace and happiness at home.

Swallow some disappointments, reduce expectations and do what is minimally required to make yourself happy.

Looking at the bigger picture, in the long run, a happy loving family is bigger than everything.

Sometimes, he has to compromise and sometimes, you have to. When compromise is important either ways, do so voluntarily with a smile and reduce mental chatter and dissatisfaction.

God resides in your mind and heart. A loving, peaceful and secure family is God's home; don't go searching for God elsewhere.

I will share more lessons later, if anyone is interested!:grinning:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    iman, Ammu2886, shyamala1234 and 9 others like this.
  9. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

@op I can totally relate with what you are saying .. I faced it still facing it .. I am the kind of person like you who brought up in a traditional family .. my husband family is diff bit liberal kind not so into these poojas and rituals .. they dint know how to chant or read a mantra forget about fallowing rituals ..
    They belive god for sure but not into poojas as they are lazy ( I feel so since my mil says she never got free time to do those )

It was disappointing initially for me after marriage .. he will not stop me but he won’t join in poojas.

So I thought what is the use if he forcefully does these poojas ..? So stopped asking him if he wants he will join .. none of the vratas tells us both wife and husband should perform together except of satya narayana vrata and any kalyanam .. so I will do all poojas like Lakshmi pooja , Ganesh pooja , vara laxmi pooja , sai pooja for my own happiness .. he comes at the end to take Prasad .. since other spouse has less to no interest he won’t help me during those poojas so obviously I have reduced doing time taking poojas and offering cooked nyvedyam .. now a days just do regular prayer in 5 min offer dried fruits ..

Op don’t force him it’s of no use .. a prayer needs to be done with pure and whole heart doesn’t even need to follow the rules ..

Start baby steps .. let him just light a Diya everyday after bath or offer 1 glass of water to the god .. that’s all needed if he does that every day he will feel the positivity of god ..

Just my two cents ..

KashmirFlower, Anusha2917 and Giri12 like this.
  10. Giri12

Giri12 Gold IL'ite

@Jas82688 Thanku for ur wise advice.
    I actually liked the idea of letting him offer glass of water or lighting diya in front of God. Will need to use my sweet tone power:innocent: besides he has no issues me visiting temples he gets irritated only if i force him to join me. Infact sometimes i dnt even bother to tell him about temple visits as it will make him angry.
    N as for stotram n shlokas i do chant them in front of god as i get time n i totally understand that it will be something out of syllabus for him:laughing: