1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Difference between Kundan and Polki jewelery?

Discussion in 'Jewelry & Accessories' started by SweetDreamz007, Sep 2, 2009.

1. SweetDreamz007

SweetDreamz007 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am a big lover of fashion jewelry and want to know what is the difference between Kundan and Polki jewelry? Thanks a bunch !

2. bharti

bharti Silver IL'ite

hey SD kundan and polki are used to describe a particular type of jewellery made in gold and precious or semi- precious stones studded in gold and beautified with pearls and stone drops!!! like one in the picture below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now basically the type of making for both kundan and polki is the same (infact both can be called kundan only), with only difference in the main white stone studded in the gold piece.....

basically kundan jewellery is made in two types of stones also called as polki....... diamond stone or diamond polki ( made of unfinished diamonds) and glass stone or glass polki...... obviously diamond polki being costlier!!! sometimes to ease the classification.... kundan jewellery is referred to the ones made out of glass polki while polki is referred to the one made out of diamond polki!!!!...... so basically its only the ease of classification and this is the reason why sometimes there is s omuch confusion about the whole thing.....

nevertheless both are kundan...... with glass polki (generally referred to as kundan alone) or diamond polki (generally referred to as polki alone)......

i hope it clarifies!!!!

jsree2007 likes this.
  3. SweetDreamz007

SweetDreamz007 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks a lot Bharti for clariifying. :thumbsup I am clear now. When I look online for fashion Indian jewellery, they all look same to me. I guess the real difference can be seen in high quality metals like gold and silver ... white metal with kundan/ polki look the same.

4. bearpal

bearpal Guest

T
    Polki is a type of diamond- an uncut diamond. Kundan is a semi-precious stone.

Polki is not a type of cut, it is a type of diamond, which is uncut. And why is it called polki specifically? I don't know. Why is a diamond called 'diamond'?<
    Now I'm wondering...does Polki have a similar resale value of that of diamonds (which is less than gold already)? Got to ask around...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
    Hemathyana likes this.
  5. sowmya23

sowmya23 New IL'ite

Hi,
    Does glass Kundan jewelry needs special care?will the glass break?
    Sowmya

6. mikediamonds47

mikediamonds47 New IL'ite

Hello

Good job.... Polki are uncut diamonds used in traditional Rajasthani jewelry while kundan is actually pieces of glass embedded in gold - also used traditionally but more so in Punjab.

Thanks
    Have a nice time a head.....

Hemathyana likes this.
  7. Ranisri

Ranisri Senior IL'ite

I also had the same confusion.. Now i am cleared.. Thanks to all..

8. passionate89

passionate89 Platinum IL'ite

thanks for the clarification !! :)

9. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

during resale of the jewellery, kundan stones do not have any resale value;polki has atleast 75-80% resale value.Also, kundan wok jewellery is different from kundan stone studded jewellery

10. anky2930

anky2930 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for discussing difference between Polki and kundan, before this conservation I didn't know for what kundan and polki stand.