1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diet for Babies Under 1 year

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Vandhana, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

This thread is a discussion for members with babies under one year only. For toddlers please use the " What did you feed your kids today thread" .

Vandhana

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008

2. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Dear Moms

Why not we discuss the diet plan for our babies, what to give, what not to give, how much to give, how many times/day and so on.
    Eg.. My son is 5 months old, i have started rice cereal 4 weeks ago and recently started with boiled-mashed carrots.. Gave him Milk bikis soaked and mashed in water in evening once, yet to get into practise.. I dont know what else to give, thought of introducing 1 veg/week.
    What abt u ladies, share ur experiences and daily routine that u follow for ur babies.
    I think this will be useful discussion for all of us and also for new moms..

Expecting ur participation :)

San

3. newmommy

newmommy Senior IL'ite

Re: Daily Diet Plan for our babies

I'am just curious I see lot of moms giving milk bikis soaked in milk,what is the reason ?
    What nutrients do we have in milk bikis?Please let me know.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  4. meeta shah

meeta shah Senior IL'ite

Hi San
    My DD is 7 month old and I have started giving her solid from last 2 months. As she is avoiding milk and little bit tiny on the scale I am trying to give her ghee as much as she can take. She is growing good and standy on weight gain, it is just that as a mother you always worried about your child's weight.
    Anyway, so s back to the topic. Following is my diet plan for Aarya
    8:00 - cereal/oatleal (Recently changed with advice from priya)
    9:00 milk
    11:00 - Lunch ( 1 paratha soacked in milk+fruit/veg puree+sometimes shira)
    12:00 - milk
    5:00 - Dinner (dal-rice+yogurt+veggie puree+shira sometime)
    7:00 - milk

Still I am debation whether I should conecetrate on solid more or milk. Her pediatrician said that by the time she will be 1, she should be taking breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack. And should be taking milk in morning and evening so he seems ok with what we are doing...

Thanks
    Meeta

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

San,
    Nice thread. Right now Aadhu is on 3 meals a day + 1 snack (that is still a +/- thing). Meals are:
    9 am - Ragi porridge
    1 pm - Rice + dal (moong/toor) + veggie + ghee + rasam followed by curd rice
    5 pm - Snack - usually a biscuit (Priya I too give milk bikis mainly because thats the one thing he can eat on his own right now and I want him to practice that).
    7 pm - Idli/Dosa/Adai with curd followed by fruit (banana/apple/mango)

He is on 3 BFs during the day - 7 am, 2 pm and 8 pm and one early morning feed (around 4 am).
    I also started cow's milk 2 weeks back at 5 pm. He takes around 200 ml (6 - 7 oz).
    I plan to stop the 2 pm BF next and then eventually substitute the other BFs with whole milk by 1 year. Hopefully he will drop the early morning BF on his own after he is 1.

Vanathi.

6. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

I am curious, too. In fact, I was going to ask the same question.... we're on the same wave length, Priya!

Here's our routine!

6 am - BF
    9 am- BF
    12 pm - lunch (varies - oatmeal or steamed, pureed veggies with or without rice cereal)
    3 pm - BF
    6 pm - dinner (steamed, pureed veggies or fruit with or without rice cereal)
    8 pm - BF
    11 pm - BF
    1 am - BF

Since we are just starting on solids, I am introducing new veggies and fruits- whatever is on hand. I don't add any salt or sugar in her food, but I do add cinnamon,nutmeg, garlic, cumin etc.

Raj

7. newmommy

newmommy Senior IL'ite

I understand it makes a good practice finger food Vanathi,I give wheat teething biscuits for my LO too for practice,but not much goes in so I know he is not filling up on it.But I'am curious about soaking in milk/water and giving it to baby,when you spoon feed its different ,does it have enough nutrients?

Yes we do Raj.

I have so much confusion making right and healthy choices for feeding my LO.San glad you started this thread.

This is what my LO feeding schedule looks like

6am BF
    8am Iron fortified Rice/Mixed grain or Oats with formula + a homemade fruit
    11am Offer formula/EBM (he usually refuses)
    12pm Lunch Rice/Dhal/Veg with dhal rasam +ghee and 1 egg yolk + yogurt
    3pm Offer formula/EBM (he usually refuses)
    5pm fruit flavored yogurt + some practice finger food
    7pm Iron fortified Rice/Mixed grain or Oats with formula + a homemade fruit
    8pm BF

night he wakes up 1 or 2 times and nurses max about 5 mins.I want to cut down the cereal but not sure what I will offer him in its place as his formula intake is so less i give him cereal so he gets formula with his cereal.Any suggestion on other foods where i can add formula/EBM.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Here's my next question - Priya and Meeta stress on the fact that the babies are not taking enough formula. How important is it? - both these babies are eating solids (fruits and veggies) and rice cereal. Shouldn't that be enough? I am just curious as to what does formula have that the other food don't or can't fill in.

Raj

9. meeta shah

meeta shah Senior IL'ite

Me too Raj...
    I also have other concerns though. First is dehydrationa and second is when I look at other babies in Aarya's group they seem to have food more frequetly than Aarya. She only have lunch and dinner and very light breakfast. So, I feel like other kids eat as soon as they get hungry but Aarya wait for long time. And I feel like she starts getting cranky almost before an hour of her meal time ans she won't eat or drink if I'll offer her food earlier.
    Let me know if you have suggestions for this...

Thanks
    Meeta

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Oh Meeta, I don't know yaar! Maybe she's a light eater? As for dehydration, maybe you can add more liquids to her solids, like dal ka pani or dahi, chaach, clean veggie soup etc? Try seasoning liquids with jeera, cinnamon, nutmeg etc for variety. Secondly, I wouldn't worry about it too much since she's steady on her weight gain. She maybe a petite kid so may not need as much as other kids (and please don't compare her with american babies, they are bigger to begin with). For example, Riya's cousin is three weeks younger than her and he has been on BM, Formula and solids since he was three months old, but of course, he started out as an almost 10 pound baby, and Riya was only 6.2 pounds. He never wore the 0-3 months size clothes, he started out with 3-6 months outfits. He's big but Riya and him are developing physically and mentally the same.

In the last 6 1/2 months I have learned that babies' eating habit, sleeping habit and everything else goes up and down, it's like they go through a phase until it comes back to a normal, but in the meantime we kill ourselves worrying.

Raj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.