1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Diet after hysterectomy.. PLZ HELP ME

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by pradeepaa, Feb 16, 2012.

1. pradeepaa

pradeepaa Senior IL'ite

Hi ,

Next week my mom is undergoing abdominal hysterectomy(due to endometriosis). I heard from my friends that after hysterectomy people will face many issues like increase in weight , problem in knees and heart disease. Is this true ? And my mom had normal delivery. Abdominal hysterectomy is similar to ceserean right ? If any one has undergone this surgery.. Can you please let me know how to take care of my mother after this operation ? And also healthy diet which helps my mother to recover soon

2. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

pradeepa two main things you should follow :-
    1. avoid rice intake in night and any boiled veggies only salad and roti (no fruits)
    2. after 8 weeks she can walk for 10 mins and increase slowly to 30 mins walk everyday .
    3. avoid fish because of the allergy and scratching
    4. avoid dals instead use siru paruppu for sambar ( i would say completely avoid any lentils )
    5. avoid any gas items ( like carbonated drinks, potato,cabbage ,cauliflower etc )
    hope this helps your mom ..

3. pradeepaa

pradeepaa Senior IL'ite

ok.. I'll follow this... thanks blessybaby

4. RADIODOC679

RADIODOC679 Gold IL'ite

Hi!
    I have posted a link for the diet.please go through this-Basically eat small but frequent meals,avoid ghee,oily,spicy foods.Proteins are needed since after a long surgery recuperation wise proteins are good.better avoid animal protein and take vegetable protein.Dietary Care Post Hysterctomy
    Hope this helps!!!

5. suekrishna

suekrishna New IL'ite

Hi Pradeepa

Although a trifle late I would like to share some thoughts here. Abdominal hysterectomy is quite a normal way to get it done not to worry. The main thing to care about is not to lift any kind of weight not more than a kilo for the next two months at least and never to lift heavy bags for atleast a year.
    Weight gain is quite a common phenomenon which one has to be careful about with diet etc... but not to worry about anything else.
    Do not bend forward and lift something anything that puts a pressure or pull in the lower abdomen is a nono otherwise people develop a permanent back problem.
    Get some rest and walking but no driving if they are a person who drives for 2 months.
    The major thing is lifting weight. Also it helps to wear a back supporting belt after about 20 days for sometime to support. That you could ask your GP to suggest one if needed. This gives the back some support and also restricts the person from sudden bending etc....
    As far as diet goes any healthy diet is fine lots of fruits and veggies to regain the strength...

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

My two cents based on my surgical experience and that of friends: I experienced a huge drop in energy post surgery (not hyst but similar amount of trauma) and the ONLY way I regained my energy was to eat meat or fish twice a day for about a month. After that I was back to normal and back to low/no meat/fish. A friend who had heart surgery also had the drop in energy and did the same and was back to normal quickly. The protein requirement for healing is so great you need the highest concentration to get what you need is my understanding of this.

7. pradeepaa

pradeepaa Senior IL'ite

Thanks for your reply friends :)