Did anyone of you pump milk while at office... please give your suggestions and tips

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by shashiprp, Jan 9, 2012.

1. shashiprp

shashiprp New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I delivered a baby recently and will return back to work in few weeks. I plan to pump milk when i return to work.

I would like to get tips from working mommies as to how you managed to pump milk while in office...

1.) How many days before joining back to work did you start pumping milk ?
    2.) How many times did you pump milk in office in a day ?
    3.) Till which month of your baby did you pump milk for nursing purpose..

Thanks

2. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

Re: Did anyone of you pump milk while at office... please give your suggestions and t

i expressed milk when my baby was 3rd month because i had to return to work when he was 5th month begin .... i express twice at work and once at evening after i fed him directly ... more often you pump you will get more milk .... i didnt know the secret ... i learnt it hard lesson .. unfortunately i fed my baby with mothers milk until 9th month only

3. shashiprp

shashiprp New IL'ite

Re: Did anyone of you pump milk while at office... please give your suggestions and t

hi blessbabydust

thank you very much.... i have one more question to you. When you were back from work, were you directly feeding him or still giving pumped milk ? i got to know that babies loose interest in breadfeeding if we give bottle..

Also what do you mean by learning it the hard way ? please enlighten me..

Thanks

4. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Hi shashiprp,

I am pumping @ work currently. Was back to work when DD is 3 months old.
    Now actively pumping @ work. This is what I did. when I bought the pump, I pumped once a day for 2-3 days to get a feel of it. @ that time my baby was 4 weeks old. She was taking bottle without much fuzz. Then I stopped pumping and directly fed her till one week before return to work, hoping she will take the bottle effortlessly . From last one week, I pumped once and gave her bottle to get her used to the bottle. But she did not take bottle as easy as it was before. But by 3rd or 4 th day, she started to take bottle. I would suggest you to give bottle once in a while or once in a week to avoid struggle. But don't exclusively bottle feed or give majority from the bottle. I guess babies will prefer bottles then.i think, because I directly fed most of the day, my DD prefers direct feed than bottle even now ( she is 5 months old now). I know many of my of friends turned to exclusive pumpers after going back to work, as the baby prefers bottle. They all used to give more/ same number of bottle feeds compared to direct feed for getting the baby familiarize with the bottle from a very young age.

Coming back to your questions.
    1)I started pumping 2 weeks before joining to work. I pumped one side (so that baby can have from other side)once in e morning and saved the milk in the freezer, in the fear that what if my pumped milk is not enouh for her. I pumped in the morning because, supply will be more in the morning. One thing I used to do is I will give only one side to the baby whole night so that there will be ample milk to pump and store.

2) when I got back to the work. I used to pump one side in the morning, and twice from office( first @ 11. 30 and secong at(4 or 4.30). You can space the timing according to your convenience. It's better to pump at least twice or thrice at work to maintain supply ( this is my ped's advice). Before I leave to work, I will feed her and start.

I am no longer pumping in the morning as it turns out that there was more than enough milk and my freezer is full.

I would suggest you to get a handsfree bra for pumping. It will be very helpful.
    Avoid bottles when you are at home. This way you don't have to worry about supply+ less work/ cleaning. From my experience, if you directly feed the baby after work + weekend, the supply will be at par with demand. My baby is EBF till now.

5. shashiprp

shashiprp New IL'ite

Hi smilealways

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. This is very helpful to me... this detail will help me to plan for my baby...