1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Did anyone lose weight by eating oats?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by pman16, Mar 12, 2009.

1. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi friends,

Im exercising regularly since 6 months and many of my friends have noticed a lot of changes. I too feel toned up now but my concern is i have not lost weight.

Im confusedbonkbonkhow this can be without w/loss can toning happen?? I thought this might be due to the fact that i did not do dieting while exercising.

Now i want to follow a diet (first try for 2 weeks). I want to incorporate oats in my diet.

Have any one of you lost weight eating oats?? If so can you share your plan with me? Or give me some tips? I dont want to follow any strict diet like drinking hot water etc because it causes side effects for me. I experienced severe hairfall so please guide me. Will eating oats increase the body heat??

Pls share your ideas.

Admin Note: While you are at it, check out the relevant link on recipes and other health benefits of oats!

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/healthy-food-and-living/72358-benefits-of-oats.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...ape/118463-oats-recipies-for-weight-loss.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/i...nutritional-diff-between-oats-wheatflour.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/194155-benefits-of-oats-for-women.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/keep-fit-and-maintain-shape/150300-weight-loss-recipe-plan.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/baby-kids-foods/56756-ok-start-oats-cereal-instead.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013

2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi pman16,

To lose weight, there should be a combination of exercise and healthy,moderate diet.

Consuming oats with milk aids in weight gain (this had happened to me personally about 12years back), whereas oats with buttermilk will not increase the weight.

Since oats causes body heat, better to include lots of buttermilk in your diet.

Good luck!

Cheers
    Krithika

3. PinkRubies

PinkRubies Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Fibrous foods help keep your appetite and weight in check because they are low in calories and very filling. Insoluble fibre (found in whole grains, fruits and vegetables) is touted for its ability to maintain normal bowel functioning. The fibre in oats - as well as peas, beans, apples, pears and citrus fruit - is known as soluble fibre. It improves heart health by lowering cholesterol and keeping blood sugars more stable.

1 person likes this.
  4. Willpower

Willpower New IL'ite

Hi Pnam16,

Try to change your Exercise pattern, don' follow the same pattern everyday for exercise.
    like if u do thread mill daily, try to change the routine
    Day 1 work ou on thread mill concentrating on your legs
    Day 2 lift weights concnetating on hands and upper body
    Day 3 do cycling
    Day4 Mix of all the above
    Day 5 your choice
    Also, don't work out for more than 5 days in a week

This way, your are making your body to break from the routine and burn more calories.

If you work out in the same fashion everyday, your bidy will be used to taht routine, calories burned will be less.

This is my own experience, other may have some suggestions too

by following the above pattern with low carb and high protein diet i lost 30 pounds in 7 months

All the Best

5. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Wow!! losing 30pounds......sounds very interesting and also inspiring. Can you tell what daily menu you followed and any tips in general??I want to especially know what you were eating during night time??

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  6. Willpower

Willpower New IL'ite

hi pnam,
    i used to have chapathis with curry. but i used to make sure i have my dinner by 7:30, also if i felt hungry before going to bed, iused to hava an apple or a pear.

with simple changes , you can reach ur target

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  7. raji_siv

raji_siv Bronze IL'ite

hi,

yes i agree with jithiks. oats gives us energy. instead of milk, we can add salt and buttermilk in oats.

8. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Hiii Pnam,
    Oats is def working for me. I am taking oats for my breakfast and yes I have/am losing my weight.
    I use old -fashioned oats and cook it in 1% milk with little palm sugar. After cooking I add 1 or 2 cut strawberries to it.
    It is important to check the type of oats you use. Do not use instant oats, but use old-fashioned oats or steel-cut oats. In steel cut oats the kernals are intact and hence it retains its fibre. So instant oat-meal is all but bad -carbs and as you know the bad carbs triggers hunger.
    As will-power has told you have to change the type of exercises you do everyday.
    - Nitha

9. Southgate

Southgate New IL'ite

It is generally believed that oats taken in a lesser quantity helps a person who is on diet.My daughter and son and not me, frequently have oats.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

10. swats15

swats15 New IL'ite

i wnt to knw if v cn eat oats at night..n also wht fruits cn b eaten along wid thm fr loosin weight