1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

diarrhea

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Riditi, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Riditi

Riditi New IL'ite

Hi all,

My 8 month old twins have diarrhea since 3 days.My daughter seems to be better (frequency has decreased) but my son's stools have worsened.Both are formula fed and they have one immediately after their feeds.In between the feeds my son has small stools( 2 avg).I am forcing them to take water.They are taking NESTUM RICE as the solid.I know that I should stop the milk.So far I have been giving them formula(SIMILAC ADVANCED) with more water. Can I use soy formula(SIMILAC ISOMIL)? Should I take them to the doctor ?I dont want them to use anti biotics but I am worried seeing them.

Is there any formula for stopping diarrhea available in India?In the US I used ISOMIL DF for diarrhea .Also can I use the cherry flavored pedialyte solution?

Please give me your suggestions as I am getting little nervous and confused watching my babies going thru this.

Thanks
    Riditi

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Riditi,

Are you in India now? I would recommend consulting a doc right away. We don't want to risk dehydration. And you can always clearly say you'll want to try other medications before settling in for anti-biotics. Do keep us updated.

Latha

3. Riditi

Riditi New IL'ite

Hi all

Both my son and daughter are now on antibiotics because the diarrhea did not seem to slow down for my son.My daughter is also on antibiotics as a precaution because it did not stop completely.They have lost some weight.I am making sure that they are hydrated(giving ORS timely) and have stopped milk completely.They are only on NESTUM rice.I am also giving them lactobacillus powder.I hope the diarrhea ceases on 3 to 4 days.

Riditi.

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hope they get well soon Riditi. Must be so tiring for you with both ill at once.

Vanathi.

5. Riditi

Riditi New IL'ite

Hi all

Just wanted to give an update.I have stopped the antibiotics for both of them(it was for 5 days).I have started giving them the regular diet.But they have the bowel movements avg thrice a day(not watery stools).My daughter usually had 2 to 3(small ones) but my son had strictly one a day :) before the diarrhea.Do you think they have still not recovered fully?Also the stools are sometimes green and paste consistency.

Also my DD is passing a lot of urine .Is this healthy?Both of them have lost considerable weight?What do you suggest I do(my DD is the weaker of the two and she has not yet started crawling..she is trying but I feel she is weak)?Can I add something to the diet?
    They have 5 to 6 feeds of formula per day. Morning-Cerelac wheat
    Mid morning-fruit(banana,apple),Afternoon-dal+rice(I used to add spinach and vegetables ) Evening-Nestum rice(earlier I used to add ragi -kanji to the cereal ).

thank you
    Riditi

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

It takes a few weeks sometimes for the bowel movements to go back to complete normalcy. So dont worry about the frequency or the occassional green stools. Adding curd to the diet may help by providing natural probiotics. Or you can ask your pedi abt adding commercial probiotics - Stibs/Darolac etc. Dont introduce new foods for the next 2-3 weeks. And dont worry about weight - they will get it back soon.

Vanathi.

PS - Crawling is all about nervous development and nothing to do with any "weakness'. She will do it when she is ready.