Diapers in chennai

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by vidsud, Nov 18, 2008.

1. vidsud

vidsud New IL'ite

hi,
    we are gng to have a new addn to our family by jan.am a lil confused about whether to go for a proper diaper or cloth diapers(like the ones our moms used for us)..the main reason being cost of diapers..its too expensive.
    any suggestions on this and which brand of diapers is better for babies

TIA,
    vidhya

2. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

hi vidhya
    congratulations on ur pregnancy.. its good you are thinking this far already. (there are many moms who do it, but i did not Big Laugh). i used cloth diapers for my DD, except for the times we went out and during functions when she cannot be closely monitored. When she was 4 months, i forced her to chuchu in the toilet after a particular interval (like i used to find that 10 mins after every BF she used to do it). and as she grew, i took her to the restroom often based on her schedule. This finally helped me in getting her toilet trained. now at 2.4 years, except for a few accidents here and there when she is engrossed in play, she lets us know. but diapers are convenient, especially at nights and during outings. so choose a mix. when u r too tired, go for diapers. otherwise leave him/her with cloth diapers. hope this answers. take care dear.. dont think too much.. u still hv time. try to enjoy this time and take good rest - you will long for it later. cheers.

3. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

Hi..

I use cloth diapers during daytime for my son and disposables during night and when going out. This ensures that his sleep is not disrupted during nighttime. Pampers is good and I am happy with that. I heard Huggies is also good. There are some local brands like Wipro which is not very good (not good fit, so leaks).

Cloth diapers, you get stitched ones in shops like Naidu Hall and other baby shops. You may want to try that, but again it does not absorb wetness like disposables.

You can find more info on diapers under the infants section under parenting and kids forum.

Radhee

4. sabari

sabari Gold IL'ite

hi congrats for you new arrival,
    you can use nappy pads which can be used in the cloth diaper. this is less expensive than diaper. when going out you can use the proper diaper like pampers.

5. vsar

vsar Senior IL'ite

Wipro Diapers are on offer in BigBazaar and other such outlets where you get around 20-25% discount. Also if you know any friends who work in Wipro then ask them to buy it, it's offered in a weekly internal company sale for employees at around 33% discount.

The quality of Wipro Diapers are quite good and are on par with international standards so don't worry. Avoid the Chinese ones in the market as they are of suprious make and might not adhere to the Standards.
    All the best for your new arrival in the family. :thumbsup

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hi, most baby shops now sell in bulk. Expensvie still, but better than those 10/15 packs they used to sell in. For a young baby, I would say use clothe diapers that are made from terry material and are quite absorbent. Tiny Care makes them and they come with velcro and are quite a good fit. But when my LO was around 3 months every cloth leaked and we moved to disposables, using pampers when he was younger and moving to huggies now. That's mainly because pampers in his weight range comes with some perfumed thingy that gives him the worst rash. Otherwise, pricewise, fitwise and gentleness wise, I would say pampers offers the best.
    If you're living anywhere near Adyar area, Shanti's offer disposies at the best prices.

7. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

Krithika,

Where do you get the Tiny Care terry nappies from? I am still not able to settle with a good cloth diaper. I checked the wee weka patterns, but could not understand them as I dont know much about stitching. Even if I take a printout and show to my tailor, I dont know if he will understand as well. I checked with the Bambino Mio guys, but it seems to be quite expensive. A nappy set which consists of 12 nappies, 3 covers costs around 5K. A trial pack costs 1K. Sposies have an MRP right, could the retailer sell at a lesser price?

Radhee

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Tinycare nappies were bought for us from a shop on Royapettah High Road, near the Anjaneyar Temple near Vidya Mandir School. Clear as mud ah? I dont remember the name of the shop exactly, but Asha New Born, is my guess. Bombay Dyeing has these nappy material as they call it, it is a birds'eye weave cotton, it is also quite absorbent. They also have flannel. You could use a disposable that is the right size for your child, stretch out the elastic, put it on a newspaper, draw on the paper and cut out the shape. Once you have a paper pattern you could draw it on a piece of cloth using the wee weka measurements and see if that works. Just a thought. I am no expert in stitching, but found something with trial and error.
    Baby Lou on Oliver Road also has cloth nappies, but they come with the plastic outer shell and are very expensive for very little absorbency (180 per piece, if I remember right). If you have some one in the US, could you have some covers shipped to you and use prefolds you get here at Shanti's and Naidu Hall. (My father thought they were towels, but it turned out to be pre-folds.)
    About sposies, some do choose to retail it below the maximum retail price. At Shanti's we got a 68 pack size 3 pampers at 580 something, but other shops it retailed at 720 something. Much less than even online prices.

9. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Tikka - Just letting u know ... At Shanthi's , they do not have prefolds (4X8X4 or the types). They just have flats ..... which can be folded and snapped or can be used inside a cover. :((

10. aishvijay

aishvijay New IL'ite

Pampers diaper cost (Large size) in chennai

hi,
    I'm using Pampers diaper -Large for my LO who is two years old now.
    The cost comes to around 400 if i buy it in retail stores. When i went to Saravana stores in T.Nagar the cost is Rs.385 but the availalbility is very less and they don't have it in stock most of the time.

Few days back i went to Coimbatore. I got the same Papmpers diaper for Rs. 360 from a departmental store (sorry i forgot the departmental store name).

ILs if anyone knows if we can get the Pampers diaper at the same rate in chennai as we get in coimbatore.

Thanks