1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diaperless nights!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by arthidiva, Dec 10, 2009.

1. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

My DS is yet to be potty trained for the nights. He is fine during the day time.. he says he wants to pee and heads to the restroom, very rare accidents..

For the night times, I have tried a few times but no success so switched to diapers in the night alone. hmm I know.. shame on me! I used to get up on alarm every 2 - 3 hours to take him to the loo but he used to cooperate few times and other times it is only screams (I think when he doesnt want to pee).

How did it go for you guys?? dont kids become cranky when we wake them in the middle of the night? How did you handle it? He drinks water only before sleeping. He doesnt drink water thru the night so wont he pee at all in the middle of the night? but his diaper is almost full in the morning. How to judge the time interval to take him to the loo?

How should I go about it? any ideas are welcome.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Arthi, with K he did it himself... but we tried it during summer months. Winter may not be the right time to expect a child to have dry nights.
    What we did was continue to put DS in diapers during night time when we were still training him. At one point we realised the CD stayed dry all night and it was just before he was fully up that DS wet himself. So when he was stirring in the morning, we made up silly games and rushed him to the loo. He somehow got it then that he needs to pee only after waking up.
    I think it is perfectly alright to diaper him in the night till you feel he is ready to transition to underwears.

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

We have been doing nights without diapers for about 3 weeks now and its gone well mostly except for the very occassional accident. But I did try this 2 months back - at that point he was quite good about daytime dryness and so I thought I'd give it a shot. But it didnt work - he would invariably pee at around 4 am and after 4-5 disturbed nights I went back to diapers. This time though I noticed that the diapers were dry for the most part and more than that DS absolutely refused to wear diapers at night (he had already stopped wearing them completely in the day, even when we went out) and said he wouldnt pee in the bed. So we tried and its worked. Moral of the story: Wait for a month or two and try again - look for your child's cues/wishes. (I learn this lesson again and again with everything that DS does - I'm a slow learner :) )

V.

4. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

thanks tikka, vanathi..

I think I have to wait few more days.. his diap is all heavy by morning. but he doesnt drink water in the middle of the nights so how come he is peeing so many times in the night?

5. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Thanks for tips my dear vanathi and tikka.

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

AD - Drinking or not does not have anything much to do with it. As the child matures, 2 things need to happen - one, the brain must wake them out of sleep (arousal is the technical word) when the urine in the bladder reaches a certain level and two - a hormone called ADH or vasopressin is produced in higher quantities at night. This concentrates urine so lesser quantity of urine is formed at night. Now both these are maturational processes and happen at different rates for different people/kids. We can provide the vasopressin by tablet/nasal spray and use alarms to teach arousal - buth both are not 100% effective and neither is advised unless bed-wetting continues beyond age 5-6. So dont worry, just try after a while.

V.

7. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

thanks for clarifying, V.

8. redapple

redapple Senior IL'ite

My DD was almost potty trained till last week but last week when we went on a road trip for 5 days she was in diaper for 24 hrs.Now the problem is she is not telling me that she wants to pee(infact she does only accidents)

I am very much worried now that all my hard work of training her for past 6 months went for a task.

Can you please tell me what's wrong going on... I could not understand what's going on with her..

Did any of you had such experience?Please share how to resolve this..

Thanks

Indra

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Redapple, how old is she? I have been very hesitant to put DS back in a diaper after he potty-trained. Some of the play centres here insist all children below the age of 3 be in dipes whether they are potty trained or not.... I had been reading it is not a great idea to put a PT-ed toddler back in dipes. Actually vacations are notorious for causing relapses in accidents in PT-ed toddlers.
    At this stage, try to be supportive of her, reinforce what she has learned already, go back to taking her to the potty every two hours (or whatever the time frame). I think she would relearn it quickly. When DS started schools he did have a few accidents at home, we tried repeating to him potty has to be done in the loo, take his help in cleaning up after the accidents. He got back on his schedule within a week. HTH.