1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Diagnosed With Depression

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by ShabnamF, Sep 26, 2016.

1. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

I have been diagnosed with depression. The doctor has prescribed anti depressants and pills to help me sleep. My question is, I have heard that anti-depressants have a lot of side effects. My doctor said the treatment will go on for a few months, I am really unable to decide if I should take the medicines. Can someone please help.

Thanks

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

If doctor prescribed, please take it and don't miss any appointments , based on your progress your medicine will be adjusted or reduced.

I think you went to good/reputed doctor, still if you have any doubts, you can visit another doctor without telling anything about the first doctor, and see if the second doctor also diagnoses your condition as same.

sindmani likes this.
  3. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

@ShabnamF, don't worry, taking anti depressants is no biggie these days. It's great that you are being proactive about your health and have sought timely professional help.

Anti depressants really do work. The side effects really depend on the type of anti depressant. I would advise you to monitor your side effects and speak to your doctor to adjust or change medication.

For eg SSRIs like nexito (escitalopram) calms ppl down (good for anxiety), but causes daytime drowsiness, insomnia at night, diminished libido and weight gain. Amount of weight gain really depends on each persons metabolism. Not sure if you've been following karan johar's ndtv columns, but he recently mentioned he's on nexito. So if you're taking this you're in good company. Incidentally i've tried this as well.

One other class is NDRI of which Bupropion is a popular one. Bupropion has the opposite effect - weight loss, hyper activity, improved libido but also insomnia.

There are others as well...you can look them up by their u.s brand names (effexor, zoloft, prozac).

Make sure you have a really good psychiatrist & also see a counsellor in parallel to resolve negative thinking patterns & to brainstorm on ways to solve whatever life issues you may be struggling with.

Just meds alone are not as effective as meds+ talk therapy along with regular exercise/yoga. Breathing exercises help a lot.

Goodluck, I'm sure you will feel a whole lot better in 6 to 9 months.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  4. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

@ShabnamF,

Don't worry about the side affects, your doctor would already suggested you if there are any side effects with this medicine.

Please take the medicine as your doctor prescribed, it will really help you to come out of the depression.

BTW Why are you feeling depressed? are you still worried or thinking too much about that broken engagement?

sindmani and ShabnamF like this.
  5. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Thanks a ton for the quick replies.

@KashmirFlower
    I consulted the doctor in a Apollo clinic. So Im guessing he is good. I had to really push myself hard to go see a doc, going to another one seems like a huge task to me. I will try though.

@madras2018
    I have been prescribed Nexito 10 mg and Nitrosun 10 mg. The doc also mentioned counselling after sometime to avoid a relapse. It's actually my friend who insisted me to see a doc, so thanks to her. Since you've mentioned I will check Karan Johar's columns. Thanks a lot.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  6. madras2018

You're very welcome. Nexito 10mg is standard dose - so no worries there. It is certainly very good. Helpful to those who might be upset, feeling low, distressed or anxious. Do look up online forums by doing a search on Lexapro (u.s brand name for nexito/escitalopram). You'll find a lot of info from other people sharing their experiences.

sindmani, ShabnamF and vaidehi71 like this.
  7. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

No, it's not that, I'm not bothered by my broken engagement anymore. It's a lot of other things. Thank you so much for asking.

8. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Nothing is important than you and your health. Don't take too much into heart. Just leave it to time.

sindmani and ShabnamF like this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

After seeing only one doctor, no. Starting to take the medicines should be after you have done the following: Read up enough reliable websites on depression, and blogs or forums where people (preferably from a similar background as you) have posted their depression stories. You should know enough about the medicines, side-effects, the process of diagnosing depression, and the success rates of medicines. You should research depression as you would research a life-threatening disease for a close friend or someone dear to you.

You should have religiously followed the steps that are often suggested for dealing with a depressed state of mind (different from diagnosed depression). These include regular and fairly strenuous exercise, maintaining a journal, taking care of diet, identify and do things that make you feel good. If you haven't tried doing these regularly for at least 4-6 months, and are able to go about life, doing OK in college/work, able to perform your family and social obligations to a certain extent, then, postpone the medicines until you have tried the steps regularly and with discipline, especially the exercise part.

Of course, I am only a stranger on the internet, one desperately looking for a distraction for a mind worried about what if Clinton messes up her debate with Trump... : ) so, don't rely too much on this to make your decision, but I do feel from your post that you are not yet ready for taking the medicines. It is a general dissatisfaction with the state of affairs, a little bit of 'lost' feeling, and perhaps some pity for the self thrown in. Usually happens - we keep ambling along, pulling life's bullock cart, then, a biggish thingie like a broken engagement happens, and seems to upset the cart.

OK I am too unmotivated to go post a response in the "You tore me apart' poem thread, but, this poem came to mind in response: After A While by Veronica A. Shoffstall - Sofine's Favorite Things That one and the Desiderata poem are two that I've often read in life, and that I also prescribe to women I care about.

I shall now excuse myself from dishing out suggestions, and go somewhere private to see if I can still recite Desiderata without looking at it. : )

Max Ehrmann's "Desiderata"

10. madras2018

@Rihana - was your post based on your personal experience with clinical depression and/or its treatment plan ?