1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

DH very supportive but fed up of MIL, can't take it anymore, plz advice..

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by thegoodlife, Jan 13, 2012.

1. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Thegoodlife, you are young, you have been married only for 2 years. You are already quite frustrated. How long can you go on like this. Before talking about the policy at home, lets talk about what do you want to do. If nobody or nothing was stopping you, what would you want to do. If you want to study or work, then you should convince your DH. If not, there are still lot of options. If you are interested in fitness, you can learn and also teach yoga. You can join hobby classes or groups or even meditation or prayer groups. I would really like to know what you are interested in.

2. riyagan

riyagan Gold IL'ite

you mil sound exactly like mine! get rid of joint family... you will live a better life when u move out...guarenteed!

3. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

I can very well understand your problem, a very typical MIL problem, even if you don;t do any mistakes that day I am sure she will create one... because all she wants to taunt you and make the rest of the family believe that you are not up to the mark and an unfit Bahu....

moving out was the best option.. but u say it is impossible now till your BIL's get married.. so that is ruled out..

talking to her and making her understand is again out of question because they are always right and can never go wrong.

I think you should think of working from home job's that is the best option it brings you some income and also confidence since you will be earning and finally away from all her taunts since you will be busy with work.. I am telling you this from my experience I found this the best way to escape from her for some part of the day at least.

If you are happy with your DH then why don't you plan for a baby... that way you will get the happiness of mother hood and you will be busy concentrating on your baby... I did just that... i conceived within six months of marriage and try to concentrate on my DD

1 person likes this.
  4. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New IL'ite

hey, i really wanted to study more, i mean my final semester was due after wedding, and i know how difficult it was to convince the in laws for letting me finish my graduation.and yes i am interested in fitness and joined a gym recently. its really one of the best thing i did in two years, and now even if i like to, i dont think she would allow me to go for some classes becoz wen i come from gym i can see in her face, that she is not against it but not very happy for this too. i cannot opt for another classes or something, after all i have some responsibilities too, its a big family, i cant join classes and increase her burden of work..

5. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

hi goodLife, not to worry or take tensions for these small things. As there are other big things in your life to be considered. In front of you and your husband it is your future and how you want to live as dreamt.
    Good that you have joined gym to keep fit and healthy ; so now you have interactions with people.
    Talk to those people/friends quite frequently; get into some hobbies like reading or learning new dish from TV.
    When you are ignoring your MIL; she also feel it is enough and needs a stop.
    I agree all the days are not same and you can't ignore her comments but you can politely and funnily you can reply back to the taunts.
    Through your husband you can tell her to join some old age association /groups; so that she also starts interact with people which makes person better.

6. chandy939

chandy939 Silver IL'ite

Irritating movie dialogues...."you want us to leave the house and die on the streets"..."we'll sleep on the railway tracks tonight"...."maa ka ehsaan zindagi bar"..."you have come to break this family"....YIKES!!!!

From my exp I would say you ignore small things but answer back for bigger issues.They will curse you scold you maybe even call names...but unless u fight for urself everyone will trample on you!

7. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Thegoodlife, isn't it a family of six people and that is six adults? What responsibilities do you have? Do you have any outside help for cleaning, washing, ironing etc. or do you do everything yourself? How much work does your MIL do? You can manage and do your duties and at the same time find time for yourself.

I am getting a feeling that you are yourself not convinced or you are not interested in doing something. Dear, you will have to take charge of your life. If you really want to do something, nobody can stop you. Nobody has the right to stop you. If you are happy being a housewife and really don't want to do anything at all, then I would say, take your MIL's complaints in a positive way and try to learn to do things better.

8. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Relax and take a deep breath. I dont know if the talking thing will work out with your MIL. Talking and communicating is not a typical MILs skill. If she had, then she wouldn't resort to such emotional blackmailing. This is very common in MILs who are very very possessive of her sons and think their DILs are trying to pull her sons away from her. Even if nothing is there, they resort to this attention-seeking sessions. The best you can do is to ignore and let your husband handle it. She can tell him this same dialogue for 3 or max 5 times. After that, he will also start losing patience and ask her to stop this nonsense.

9. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New IL'ite

dear monita, its a family of 8 adults and yes there is maid for sweeping and cleaning vessels but ironing, washing clothes, i mean see am not tellinng i cannot find out some time for classes, the mornings goes in cooking , serving (some has lunch ay 10, some at 11 and some at 12 and one more at 2 and same is with dinner timing) they cant help the timing as office, college timings are like that. and my MIL s rule is always serve hot food. so making chappatis each time does takes time. aftrnoon i go to gym, and eve the breakfast and dinner preparations starts. i dont do all the above mentioned works alone, MIL does helps equally. But all thr work becomes much more easier if it goes smoothly instead of irritating by her taunts all thetime. right now the only solution i see is just not answering anything to her. let her say whatever she wants, i know she would never get tired of it but hopefully there would be peace for sometime.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  10. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Thegoodlife,
    I see the problem. It's really a very bad arrangement. I think not answering will work for you, if you cannot change anything else. I feel sorry for you.