1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

DH going for bussiness trip to other state, help needed !

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Subhaganesh, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Subhaganesh

Subhaganesh Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    My dh going for bussiness trip within U.S only for 2 weeks.He hates eating out. I need help in packing things for his cooking and items I can pack which stays for a week. He will be traveling in flight , so tell me accordingly. I have seen a lady who packs for food for her husband lives in different state when he visit her but I am not sure what are the items he can carry in flight.
    I am worried about his health a lot , please pour some ideas.

2. prettydevil

prettydevil Platinum IL'ite

Subha, you can make thepla's. They will stay easily for two weeks. You can pack some dry achaar with it.

Also, you can make some dry some dry sabzi - like aaloo/bhindi/karela etc etc or poha/upma for bf and your Dh can store them in freezer.

If he is going in a city where many Indians live, try to look for someone who sells tiffins.

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Subha,
    Before you pack make sure he is able to refrigerate it. If he does not have a fridge in his hotel room it will all get spoilt. Also, he needs access to a microwave to heat everything up and some basic cuttlery and utensils.
    I generally pack rotis and some dry channa/rajma/peas/aaloo etc. I also pack lemon rice and pickles. I don't pack veggies that may not last the travel like cauliflower etc.
    You can make tomato chutney to go with rotis or rice without adding excess water. I let it simmer for a long time so all the moisture evaporates.
    Pack everything in single use servings in ziplocs so he an use one at a time and discard the ziploc. Make sure to double pack to avoid leakages.
    Btw, I've never personally packed for more than 3-4 days. I'm not sure anything will last two weeks if he is traveling from place to place. For that, I recommend those ready meals from the Indian store. The MTR bisi bele bath is something that my DH takes sometimes.

sindmani likes this.
  4. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

1. rotis
    2. Sabzi like dry channa
    3. lemon rice
    4. tamarind rice
    5. Dosa and idli are also good option.
    6.Tomato thokku

I go for MTR products. It is very difficult to pack for 2 weeks. If he does nt has a fridge in there, it would go waste. So think twice.

sindmani likes this.
  5. Subhaganesh

Subhaganesh Gold IL'ite

Pretty devil,laks, malinihari,
    Thanks for your suggestion. When I checked the place in internet it is the smallest city in USA . No walmart nearby, no restaurant only subway available .

It would be good if he can carry idli/ dosa batter . But in flight I don't think they will allow because it is liquid right

6. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Make sure that fridge is available at his hotel. Mostly, it will be a mini fridge and I don't think, you can store food for 2-weeks in fridge, at the max 3-days is safe.

Probably, MTR ready to eat products can be cooked in a microwave at hotels. Fruits, yogurt, bread, peanut butter/Jam, Juice can be bought at the local grocery.

7. Subhaganesh

Subhaganesh Gold IL'ite

Thanks poovai,
    Yes, there is a mini fridge available. MTR FOODS, oh no I am worried to the core for all the ready to eat foods.

8. prettydevil

prettydevil Platinum IL'ite

Subha, They do not allow liquid over a certain quantity, which is very minimal - but depends on the air planes.

JMO -- keep your options open.

does the hotel have a kitchenette? I mean like those extended stays?

9. my2angels

my2angels Silver IL'ite

I think you can carry liquids if you checkin the baggage. If you are doing carryon then I think there is a limit for liquids. That too it has to be in a plastic clear bag.

You get this tupperware in stores where you can put hot food and it will last for few days.( Just like thermos for tea/coffee). Maybe you can prepare food that he likes and give him packed in those containers. He would then have to just heat and eat, chapatis also you can do the same. Rice I won't bother much because its easy to make rice. The only problem I see is he will have to checkin the luggage. You don't want him to do carryon. Also it needs to be packed properly to avoid spills.

Hope this helps...Happy cooking !!

10. vijikrish

vijikrish Gold IL'ite

Make podi's like curry leave podi (karuveppilai podi), parrupu podi, instant rasam podi and variety of other podi's he can mix with rice and make instant rasam podi....all these will work if you are south indian only. He can always buy steam veggie frozen packets and microwave as per instruction and add dhaniya/chilli/salt powder to go with rice. Also different type of pickes good idea.

sindmani likes this.