1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Despicable Me - Cultivating Self-compassion

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by HappyBunny, Aug 6, 2018.

1. HappyBunny

HappyBunny Silver IL'ite

Sun: Yin Yoga. Came back from the class with an energized body and a crushed soul. I still don't want to be alone with my mind. But booked a few more classes.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @HappyBunny,

:clap2: nice to read all your updates. It is motivating for many of us.

I was curious about this post of yours. What do you mean by crushed soul? I am not prodding and you can answer only if you are comfortable. I have seen/heard of students walk out of a yoga class feeling worse than they went in, emotionally! So when I teach yoga, I do tend to keep in mind 'emotional benefits' a pose can offer especially when I see changes in students as they leave the class. If I am not making sense, here's what I am talking about - The Holistic Benefits of Camel Pose (read the emotional benefits part)

So I guess all I am trying to say is be gentle with yourself even if it is yoga and be aware of the poses you are doing :) Some of us are more intense than others, that I know!

SinghManisha and HappyBunny like this.
  3. HappyBunny

HappyBunny Silver IL'ite

You make total sense, wise one. The link describes what happened. Except it happens pretty much every time I hold an easy pose and my mind can wander.

4. HappyBunny

HappyBunny Silver IL'ite

Mon: Something that I thought was all set, fell apart in an unexpected way. I told myself that everything will be okay. We may find new, possibly positive things due to this. Decided to concentrate on the long term, instead of panicking and taking hasty short cuts.

Tues: Yoga class. The Tue/Thurs yoga classes kick my butt. But the most difficult pose is the shavasana.

Wed: Finally completed a task that has been pending for months - one that I had no business putting off. There are still loose ends and it needs constant updates, but the deed is done and it gives me some peace.

kaniths and Gauri03 like this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @HappyBunny,

I don't mean to keep coming back like this but there is this compulsion. Have you tried your yoga practice with 'drishti'. Almost all poses in Ashtanga practice recommend a point a focus. Having that focus even for a moment will help enormously - emotionally and spiritually.

If you want to do further reading, here are two links that can help you understand.

https://www.yogajournal.com/yoga-101/the-eye-of-the-beholder
    How to Practice Drishti

You are not alone to feel this way about shavasana. Bringing your drishti to your heart will give you moments of quiet that can be very rejuvenating.

Also have you considered 'yoga nidra' any time?

PS: I sincerely hope I am not stepping on your toes and offering my opinion. Please do excuse me if I am doing so.

HappyBunny and Laks09 like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @HappyBunny ,

One last thing - as I was practicing yoga this morning, it occurred to me 'breath' and you came to mind!! As your eyes follow your movement, let your mind follow your breath. I do every movement in every pose saying out loud 'inhale/exhale'. It helps.

Best wishes.

HappyBunny and Laks09 like this.
  7. HappyBunny

HappyBunny Silver IL'ite

Thurs: Yoga class
    Fri: Listless day. Weather was pleasant, did some gardening.

I read earlier this summer that we need to examine the metrics by which we measure our success. My metric has always been productivity.
    The days I do all the things I planned to do, I feel okay. The days I don't, I don't feel okay.
    I don't know what to change it to. And I fear that if I do change it, then I will just sit around and drool into a cup.

Laks09 and kaniths like this.
  8. HappyBunny

HappyBunny Silver IL'ite

Thank you for the links and for writing here. I have a yin class tomorrow and will try my best to apply this.

Laks09 and Srama like this.
  9. HappyBunny

HappyBunny Silver IL'ite

I was sick the past few days. No anxiety, no bargaining. Just read a book.

Today, on a forum that I frequent, someone wrote down their thoughts and I could have written the text myself.
    :smile::frowning:

kaniths, SinghManisha and Laks09 like this.
  10. HappyBunny

HappyBunny Silver IL'ite

Why should this have mattered to me? Why should I find solace in the fact that I am not alone in my misery? Not very nice, I am.
    I was having a tough day until I read it, and then felt so much lighter. Thank you, stranger. I hope you feel better.

The day got progressively better and then we had some unexpected guests. And pizza!

SinghManisha and kaniths like this.