1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Depression And Anxiety Support Groups In Hyderabad/secunderabad

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by ShabnamF, Nov 26, 2017.

1. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

I am looking for a depression and anxiety support group in Hyderabad.
    My aim is to talk to people who are fighting with Depression and understand what it is like for them. I hardly have a support system, I need to talk to people who can understand me. At the same time I am willing to help people who need it.
    Any info will be great help, thank you.

Shabnam

cliona and shreepriya like this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

friendabc likes this.
  3. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,

I am good, I have been to Hope Trust, it is too far from my place and I am not looking for therapy, I am looking for a support group where I can talk to people face to face and understand and learn from people's experiences. It's too hard, almost impossible to find a person who can actually understand what I go through as a person who is suffering from depression and anxiety. Even the people who seem most informed about mental illnesses end up giving advice that I should 'try and come out of it'.

How are you doing?

4. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

I think the reason could be that very few are willing to disclose that they are under clinical depression and are taking medication. It is still a very personal thing and they fear that being judged will cause furthur set back as they are already emotionally fragile. Thus they prefer to talk and share their feelings in the privacy of a session with an experienced professional

Online forums are your best bet.

Btw how are you feeling now ?

sindmani likes this.
  5. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Same reason I am looking for a support group.

Would really prefer talking to someone face to face.

Thanks for asking. How are you?
    I would be lying if I say I am good. My psychiatrist stopped practicing in Hyderabad and since then I am struggling to find another one, I have seen 2 psychiatrists since then but don't find the comfort level I had with my first one so I am missing my reviews and eventually stopping the meds which is making things worse.

shreepriya likes this.
  6. madras2018

Uhoh. Stopping meds and having no doctor is no good at all. Hyd is a large city. Surely you must be able to find someone. Hurry up!! Find the best you can afford whether they are 1 hr away or in your backyard.

In the worst case i would recommend you see someone in blr or chennai. That will take up a whole day of travel if you make it a day trip.

One big tip for you - a psychiatrist's job is different from a psychologist's or therapist's. I am sure you might have already figured this out by now, the former's primary responsibility is to monitor your depression symptoms and evaluate if medication is to be administered, continued, discontinued, increased, decreased or even changed. A few years ago even I had some issues finding a good doctor when i moved to a new city. I didnt feel as comfortable as i did with my previous dr in my earlier city of residence. But I selected a doctor anyway and after a few meetings and with the right medication, my liking and respect for her grew. That is, i realized that she was very good from a medical standpoint and it is essential to have such a person in your team. In the meantime i also took my time to find the right fit for a psychologist / therapist who helped me resolve my issues via talk therapy and non-clinical methods.

Thus my point is - if you expect perfection you may not be able to fix your problem. Find a doc who plays close attn to your symptoms and is responsive to it. He / she need not be an excellent counsellor for you. You can have this 2nd need met via a different professional whose sole job description is just that.

I am going to throw you a goal oriented challenge - are you up for it ? Over the next 3 weeks can you find a doctor and report back here ? Imagine you are helping me with this or helping find a doctor for a close friend suffering from depression. I need you to screen as many docs as you can in next 2-3 weeks and let me know here if you found someone competent.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    luvpeace, SunPa and cliona like this.
  7. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Hi Shabnam,
    Could you reach out to your first psychiatrist to get some referrals?

Hang in there ok?
    Online forums/ facebook support groups - try them out in the meantime. It is hard to share our deepest feelings with someone face to face, especially stranger, for the fear of being judged. It is easier to do it online, taking support of the keyboard and screen.

See if some group in the below ink can help you
    Ten Facebook Help Groups

This one is in hyd - may be jpoin this first and maybe you can connect with someone there
    Serenity Foundation- Anxiety and Depression support group

Glad you are actively trying to overcome despite the struggles. Take care dear.

luvpeace, cliona and madras2018 like this.
  8. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

@madras2018 and @SunPa

I have tears in my eyes as I am typing this, not because I am sad, but because I am so touched by your desire to help out someone you have never seen or met in your life. Thank you.

Yes, I understand this. My first Psychiatrist and I had set a goal that I reach a state where I am mostly symptom free and then start seeing a therapist. But since I have not been consistent with meds I am unable to go see a therapist. I understand the role of a psychiatrist. My first psychiatrist always discussed my condition, progress, meds, doses etc with me, was always ready to answer my questions and clarify my doubts. But I did not find the same with others, I need to know that my doctor understands where I am actually standing.

I am up for it, however, I cannot promise because I have had bad experiences with doctors earlier (for things other than depression) so I tend to get very picky and when I cannot find someone who fits my bill I get anxiety attacks. Not just this, I get anxiety attacks even when I am trying to find something in the kitchen rack and can't find it. That's why I had requested my friend to find a Psychiatrist for me last time, but it didn't work out either. Still, I will try, because when someone I have never seen or met is trying help me, I have to try and help myself!

Good idea, I will try this, but first I am looking to change my psychiatrist.

I will try these, thanks dear.

Thanks, :) Only a person with Depression knows how many excuses they can come up with before trying to get to solving the issue. That's how Depression is, even a simple task looks so huge.

9. madras2018

I dont see why having medicine should be a pre requisite to starting therapy. Infact they shld go hand in hand at the same time. Pls see a therapist.

10. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

I thought the same, but the Psychiatrist I have most recently been to had also said that I should first be treated with meds and then go for therapy when I had asked him if I can start therapy. I am not making this a priority right now, it's already too much for me to find a psychiatrist and stick with him/her. I will still keep an eye out and if I find a psychologist who checks all my boxes, I will begin therapy. I am very particular about finding a doctor I am comfortable with, otherwise I will just stop going and my notion that there are no good doctors will keep getting stronger.