1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Depressed With Parents Reaction To My Advice

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Shreema86, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

i went for a short trip to my home and I felt my parents were being very impatient with my old grandmother whom they are taking care of . I came back and sent a messsage to my dad explaining why they need to be more kinder to her.. my parents have taken this very badly . They are saying that I hurt them with that messsage and blah blah.. I have gone on a guilt trip since then. I feel like I have been on a guilt trip my entire life with them. From childhood their love is so conditional. If I obey them then only I am good or else I am bad and I feel they will stop loving me. As an adult , if I feel scared that they will withhold love for even small disagreements then I think I am in trouble here, I need to be more thick skinned. Feeling very low , please advice

2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Well, I'm glad that you told them what you thought about their treatment of your grandmother. It takes guts to take a stand in front of your parents (especially since you already have a conditional relationship with them) and tell them that they have done something wrong.

Taking care of elderly parents/grandparents, takes a toll on families. It's not easy and I can see why they were offended by your remarks. It's easy to judge and tough to live with. You can try to empathize with them, to help them not see you as the "enemy", but for now, don't try to tell them to be "kinder".

Eventually, they might see the truth in your remarks, and follow your advice anyway. In the meantime, you can do your part to take care of your grandmother and keep in contact with her.

sindmani, Bestmom and Shreema86 like this.
  3. BeingSoulful

BeingSoulful Silver IL'ite

Dear OP,

I can understand your affection towards your grandmother but do remember your parents spend more time with her and would have their own reasons for such a behavior. Well, we all should be kind to everyone irrespective of age, gender, etc so what you did was right.

But I also feel you should have not messaged but should have had a direct conversation with your dad if you wanted to put forward your thoughts especially when your parents are very sensitive towards your comments and have always been like that (as indicated in your post).

My parents are exactly the same, as long as you go with whatever they do, they are super nice. But when you try to correct them they are not. I think there are very few parents of that generation who would consider your words & respond if there is any way of misunderstanding of the situation or take your feedback. Most of them just rebel like yours.

Yes you need a thick skin, do whatever best you can. When you have a POV to share about a situation, be mindful of the words, tone & content you use, try not to offend them. Yes its our parents and we don't need to be so formal but at times you should, its best for yourself & people you love.

With your current situation, give them time. They are parents after all, they wont be angry for too long. After a while try and talk to them & try to sort their negative emotions.

Good Luck :)

4. penpaal

penpaal Gold IL'ite

When people get aged they think that they are correct . They have seen more world than you ,so they are right .You will be always child for them . Never have any right to advice them.

Very few parents understand their child has grown and become adult now . He or she may have better idea than the parents.

Especially when you send message or even phone conversation won't help in such scenarios as there is slight chance of miss communication. You meant message in a different way ,they read it in a different way.. !! Quite possible. Even if you want to convey ,convey it in a polieted manner and they may understand.

One of my friend has been similar situation and friend's mom told her . "You come here once or twice a year .So you better enjoy your vacation and go back rather than interfering in unwanted matter ." She was in shock how her parents changed and then what is "family " ?? But that is the reality !!

If you are feeling sorry for your grandma ,if possible you spend quality time with her visiting once in a week or month or so ..

Shreema86 likes this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

As you said, you went home for a short trip. Your parents are the ones taking care of your grandmother 24/7. It can be very difficult both physically and emotionally to take full-time care of an elderly person especially if they are not in good health. Older people can also get very demanding and unreasonable sometimes, reverting to child-like behavior. Your parents are not young anymore and it is likely a strain for them too.
    That is probably why they did not take kindly to your advice. My parents went through this for almost 25 years with my grandmother. In her later years it was very difficult to care for her and my parents had to make many sacrifices. No one would offer to help, but they would always be quick to comment, criticize or offer unnecessary advice about my grandmother's care. Try to put yourself in your parents' shoes.

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It is an unwritten rule that those who are taking care of an old person should not be advised on how to do it better by those who are not directly involved in the care-giving. It could be siblings taking care of old parents or as in your case, parents taking care of your grandmother.

Taking care of old people is such a taxing job that the caregivers are not going to like any comments on their caregiving. Unless you can go and yourself help with the care for a significant amount of time, and personally show how it should be done right, keep quiet. This applies even if you are living away and contributing financially to the care.

Of course, if what is happening is downright abuse of the old person, then yes anyone who sees it should speak up.

7. Shreema86

After reading all your posts I realize that probably I should not have criticized them. I regret it because it will take atleast few days for my dad to come back normal and my mother carries these slight grudges for years . She even sent me a message saying I should come back stay and look after her and how could I say such a thing etc etc. When I was leaving my grandmother cried inconsolably and that disturbed me . Helpless and frail she is totally dependant and she realises none of her children want to keep her. It has fallen on my mother and she is doing out grudgingly and without any love , just a sense of responsibility . I appreciate how much she does but feel bad that she doesn't show any affection to my grand mom. I have refrained from apologising as I feel that eventually some of what I said might filter through but from now on will never raise this topic again

8. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Forget about the equation between your mom and grandmother. You cannot force someone to love. It should come naturally and she may be having her own reasons and history for her attitude and behavior now.

Whatever be the case, it is the younger generation's duty to take care of the older one. This ,your parents are fulfilling. Apart from that, dont dig into the intricacies because they are living with her 24*7. And old people tend to be more emotional and throw a lot of tantrums. So dont judge by what you actually saw for a few days.

Shreema86 and yellowmango like this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

You were wrong to message them.
    Your parents must be getting old too and it is not easy being a caretaker to very old people.
    There must be some history between your grandmother and her children if they are reluctant to take care of her.Your mom is doing what she can.
    Instead of messaging,you should have taken over the caretaking while you were there and given your aging parents a break .That would have been a better message.
    If I were in your place...I would apologize to them.

10. Shreema86

@yellowmango there is a full time nurse for her so that reduces the physical tasks they need to do.. no animosity between mother and children, she was a good mother by reasonable standards for those times ( when economic suituations were bleak ), no animosity as such with children. But everyone has become more involved with the families they have created .

If I was old and helpless and my daughter was not talking to me properly , I would want someone to gently remind her to be kind. If I apologise it means I am ok with my moms behaviour , which I am not. I am not on the best terms with my mother but when she is too old to fight her battles I will definitely care for her and treat her with dignity

sindmani, madras2018, n2n and 2 others like this.