1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Demons On The Prowl

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by umaakumar, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa putting names , photographs and addresses of sex offenders in public domain is a very good idea. I think it should be taken up in India too. Every city police force should put their details in its website. But even in India the interference of media is helping. Take the Nirbhaya case. The matter wouldn't have become such a big issue but for the way media triggered public outrage. Even the broadcasting of the Bangalore video has helped increase awareness about the issue. But the problem is this is just tip of the iceberg. Most sexual offences occur within four walls and the offenders are mostly kin or trusted neighbours and a majority of victims tend to clam up due to fear or a sense of shame.

Viswamitra and KashmirFlower like this.
  2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Awesome post which makes everyone think. Congratulations for being nominated, a worthy nomination And Viswa has given an awesome feedback

Viswamitra likes this.
  3. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

This one sentence has everything I would like to say about this.
    Very well written Viswa sir.

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Viswa sir,

Thank for your lovely reply.

It is going to take many more years for the men in our society to respect women.

This culture should start at home. Like you said children should be taught to respect their friends whether they are girls or boys. In most household in India even today once the girls attain puberty they are not allowed to participate in any kind of sport. You can see this in villages and in some cases in big cities too. So it is the mindset of all that has to change.

Women should not be looked as a commodity.

It would be a great idea if our police department too had a portal where we could view the offenders with their photos.

I dont know much about other Countries, and what you said was surprising, because i thought living abroad was much more safe than in India.

Regards
    Uma

5. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

Thank you for nominating my post. I saw your nomination only today.

Regards
    Uma

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear UmaKumar,

My apologies and I should have notified you specifically about the nomination when I responded here. Nowadays, there is a facility to notify by marking @UMAKUMAR so that ILites come to know about the nomination automatically.

I am not sure about other countries or for that matter other states in the US, but Florida is pretty safe for women. They have classification between offenders and predators to protect children. Repeated Predators are tracked through a bracelet worn by them and if they remove it, they are immediately arrested.

Even children nowadays are asked to wear a watch that has an instant tracking of whereabouts of them without uttering a word. If required, they can communicate through text or even speak into it. There is a panic button that triggers 911 to track their personal GPS. There is also a system of Amber Alert that comes in all radios, television and other electronic devices such as phone, laptops, desktops and tablets, if the children are abducted in a car with a plate number. Even domestic abuses are promptly reported and cops show up in 2 to 3 minutes. When children are abused at home, the social welfare department takes away the children for foster care until the issue is resolved.

Viswa