1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Delay in speech

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by kalpsadit, Oct 4, 2006.

1. charuchitthra

charuchitthra Bronze IL'ite

Re: Speaking - how many words?

Dear Aadhus mom,

Thank You so much for taking the time and effort to look for these sites for me. It must have been hard with ur busy schedule. I cant thank u enough for the support u give. Living alone with a kid U r scared when she does even a small thing. U get bothered whether u r bringing up your kid properly. I was all that and more. Now with all help from IL I feel am not alone. I checked the links you sent and immediately called the library which is close to my place and voila they ve this prograame still running. Am planning to enroll my daughter today. thank u so much.

Regards,
    CC

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Re: Speaking - how many words?

Charu - I'm so happy I could help and very impressed to see you taking action so soon. You have a strong will to do the best for your daughter - that is the most important thing - everything else will fall into place. Hope she has a good time (and you too!).

Vanathi.

3. shahina

shahina New IL'ite

would like to know more about VASAMBU

<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1>hi,i just came across this site and this is really wonderful.please help me with my query.I have a 39 months old son,he talks,but not like how a 3 year old should speak.he is not fluent.he talks in sentence for few things,like asking for water,going to the car.he says few things in tamil(mother tongue) and english.recently I came to know about this 'vasambu,2 or 3 pinch to be given with honey.I would like to know whether this vasambu will help in children's speech?I heard from a relative that vasambu will induce stammering?is it so?will my son's speech increase if i start giving him a pinch of vasambu?please guide me.I am from chennai,TN,living in UAE.does giving vasambu at young age really improve speech?please guide me.

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Re: would like to know more about VASAMBU

Shahina, welcome to IL. You may also want to see this article on a three year old's speech and language development. When you say he doesn't talk like a three year old should, I have to wonder if you are comparing him with some other kid. Different kids develop differently at certain ages.

The abovesaid article says, and I quote here, "Being able to say a short sentence by themselves without copying someone else is an achievement in three year olds. An example may be, "Mummy in big car!". It means that they are gaining an independent understanding of language and its structure and can use it to relay events."

If you are really, really concerned I would suggest you talk to his pediatrician. If your pedi thinks there's an issue, he may recommend you to a speech therapist.

Raj

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hi Shahina. Come join us moms in the toddler board.
    I agree with Raj, different children develop at different paces. For eg: I have a neice who is 3 years. She started talking crisply in both English and Tamil since 18 months. Her older brother and my son, both coud/can only form one-word sentences at almost 22 months.
    Language also depends on who engages him at home. Anecdotally, I've found that first borns take a longer time in learning to talk than second borns. Does your Lo go to school yet, children pick up language quicker from other children too. Children in bilingual homes also tend to talk slower because they are picking up two languages. For eg my son can ask for water/food in tamil and english. It counts as two words. So he may be talking more than we are giving him credit for.
    If you are concerned, you may want to meet up with a paed to ensure there is no issue with fluid collection in the ears, which can cause speech delay.
    Here is a link to "Typical language development". If you notice the difference in what Raj's link said and what mine says, you then know even the medical community does not concur on what typical development is (LOL). BTW a couple of people have told me K is speech delayed. His paed asked me how many words he can say, I said roughly around 50. (A two year old according to her should have a vocabulary of 50 words). She looked at me as if I had gone nuts for asking if K was speech delayed.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  7. shahina

shahina New IL'ite

thanks for the support.I have in mind that every child will develop at his own pace.infact his vocabulary is large except he doesnt combine them to into sentences. he points to a picture and asks 'what is this?,when i repeat,he says 'this is flamingo'. in real conversations,like expressing his thoughts,he doesnt seem to talk.I became concerned when one of my friend (whose son is about the age of my son) began asking me questions like whether he is saying this,saying that,doing this,doing that.she started telling that her son talks this and that and why my son is not talking well.I told her once that late talking runs in my family and every child will develop at his or her own pace only.hence I thought about vasambu but dint know how it was going to make my son speak in sentences.now,I want to consult a paed here,but my husband is not willing to check for hearing problems.if at all there's any fluid collection,what will be the treatment?if it is not a big issue,may be i can convince my husband to take my son to a paed.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2008
  8. shahina

shahina New IL'ite

Thanks everyone for the reply.my son goes to an american school here.few days back the teacher called and said that he is not talking with any of his classmates and things like that.none of his classmates are indian and that he might be friendly in an indian environment.i dint know what to tell her.he said his first word 'daddy' when he was 5 months old and i thought he will speak early.when he was 15months old,he sang rhymes,most clearly but normal speech like we talk at home was absent.he knew everyone's name in the house and will call by our names.i talk a little hindi.i used to talk to him in tamil,english and hindi,not sticking to one language alone.i taught him little french land spanish ike body parts and greetings,etc.my mother used to scold me that because i was behaving like a teacher(teaching him alphabets,numbers,reading)and not a mother to him,he didnt concentrate well on the spoken language.he is picking up words now,almost repeating few words from the sentences we speak.sometimes he speaks in 4 word sentences like 'rishada sachi(his aunt) sandosam paadungama'(sing sandosam song from youth movie).I am worrying too much because he is not fluent.he blabbers too at times,and when i look at him,he laughs and comes to me and blabbers and seeing my look,he laughs loud.may be he is teasing me because i am worrying too much.if vasambu is really helpful,please advice.

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Ok, it is obvious now that I do not believe that applying something onthe tongue is going to help a child develop language skills. So I am going to be no help on Vasambu.

But I do have a suggestion. Speech development does depend on cognition, hearing, neurological development to control the sounds you make (so there is a lot of learning to do there). From what you write, your child can and does speak short sentences, which is what is expected of a three year old. You seem to understand him perfectly well and he seems happy not frustrated. So I think everything is going on schedule.

If he babbles and you cant make sense of it, can you ask him to repeat in a way you understand. This is what I do with my 22 month old. He wants a book but does not say that clearly. I ask him to point what he wants to me and then I repeat clearly to him. "So Kiran wants a book. Can he say I want a book, please." With every passing day, he is getting better at it.

Could it be that he does not have friends in school and that's why he is silent? Maybe you could talk to the teacher to find out why she thinks he is not talking. It may not have anything to do with his speech. Just my two cents.

10. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

Language improvement

I want to know what all tools you mommies use, to improve your child's language.

My LO is now 2.4 years old.. her speech development is not very great. it was very bad earlier, but she has come a long way now. i can see small improvements every week, but not improvements that are drastic.

She can speak 1-2 words in a conversation and she can repeat any sentence we say (around 4-5 words).. all these in baby language. I do keep talking so that her conversations improves, but since i am a working mom and i hv no great control over ppl who take care of her at home. She is otherwise quite an intelligent, happy & active kid.

do let me know what all you do Ladies !!