1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Delay in speech

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by kalpsadit, Oct 4, 2006.

1. hippo

hippo New IL'ite

Thanx to all the people who have answered my query. my mind is now at ease

2. sudhap

sudhap New IL'ite

baby talk

Hi everyone,
    i want to know about the age ur kids started talking as my son is 20months old and doesn't speak much and he is active in all the ways.
    thanks in advance.

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Re: baby talk

Sudha,
    this is my opinion.
    Please show him to a pediatrician and ask the doctor about it. God bless, if there is no problem, it is a great relief. otherwise, they may direct you to a speech therapist which will be very helpful. this is not to scare you.
    When my son had the same problem we waited till 3 years of age. but his pediatrician suggested he should go for a therapy which was vey helpful.
    I totally regret that I should have spotted the problem and solved it years before.

best wishes
    sriniketan

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  4. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Sudha,
    Let me share with you what my peadiatrician advised me. She said though the kids start talking at different ages, they should have an atmosphere where everybody keeps talking to the kid. Not baby talk but all legible talk. Keep talking to your kid read him lots of baby story books, tell him rhymes and talk to him in your mother tongue.

When you bathe him, when you feed him, when you walk with him, when you play with all the times keep talking. Also make sure there are some kids around who are slightly elder to him and who talk and who can play with him.

But you have not specified whether you are a working mother and you leave your kid at a day care center. If you are doing so you ask your kids caretaker to do these things to him.

Hope I am of some help.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sudha,

No two kids talk or do the same thing at the same time. my daughter started talking very clearly (without the childish accent) by 9 months..and my son only when he was 3.

If you are staying alone..that is if u are a nuclear family..the chances of your son talking fast depends on how much you interact with him....Dont encourage baby talk..talk to him very clearly and legibly...read to him...

You have not been clear if he does not talk at all...even for asking for milk...food...

6. sudhap

sudhap New IL'ite

Thanx for all of ur replies
    I will surely follow ur suggetions,they gave me lot of confidence. :)

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi sudha,,

welcome..

8. sukar2703

sukar2703 New IL'ite

Dear Kalpsadit,

I fully understand ur concern. I too had gone through the same situation and use to be worried. My son is 3 years old now, and has started on sentences now. Don't worry, its only matter of time, ur son will also start talking well.

My son started only amma, appa when he was 2. I can't explain how worried i was, as u say, i use to worry more when i see other smaller kids talking and singing well. One thing i have learn the hard way, never and ever compare the children. Even siblings of the same family differ so much. Every child is unique.

All the best,
    subha:wave

9. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I can understand your concern. And I can tell you very clearly that you are to be blamed. You as a mother need to have been keep on talking talking and talking with him. Talk a lot. Allow him to talk. Make him ask for things he want. Dont just allow him to watch TV for a long time. Instead take some books and read him alphabets and connecting words and encourage him to repeat them. Teach him more words and help him to repeat those words and form sentences.

Sorry if I am a bit harsh.

10. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

oh please don't compare with other children. each child is different. My boy is 33 months old and only now trying to form sentences while some boys of his age in the nursery speak fluently. Initially I was worried too but i find that he understands and tries to repeat so that's about it. I have also told my parents and in-laws strictly not to pressurise me asking everytime 'why is he not telling abc etc.,'. children live in their own worlds and often we underestimate them. you'll be surprised when he will suddenly start talking more. just keep talking to him and he's absorbing everything and one day will pour out:) cheer up!