1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Deepika Padukone's 'My Choice'

Discussion in 'Movies' started by iamsrihere, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Iamsrihere it takes a lot of guts to come out of the closet and accept you have issues and that you are suffering from depression and that you are being treated. in a world that is full of stigma and loves to push things under the carpet or keep them locked in their closet i appreciate the boldness and courage it takes to come out and talk about it.

We have time and again heard and seen many suicide attempts in the very glamour industry but none have come out to talk about it.

and this is a blog of a acqaintance's friend reshma valliappan the activist//
    An Open Letter To Deepika Padukone From A Schizophrenic
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiae29Iyl8A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGbkZuN45AM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-jNWKGURHo

not only the people who are depressed, the people around the depressed need to face things with courage and more..

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s.../259796-no-depression-cant-simply-willed.html

9 people like this.
  2. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@iamsrihere:
    Nice thread!

Here is what I think about the video:

Pick a female celebrity (who is already on the hot spot for her own issues), give her some lines about the most discussed topics in the world (women empowerment + sex + female body + female attire), include graphics , wind to her hair, display some skin and undergarments, add some peppy background music, display brand name = Videos like 'My Choice'
    (Of course, the video wouldn't sell if the lead was played by Sarita Devi or even Saina Nehwal.)

One particular line that caught my attention: "They don't have a size for my spirit". Agreed, by who is she referring to? Who is this video supposed to reach and what message is it supposed to convey?
    Till the end of the video there is no glimpse of women empowerment.

If this video was made with a famous male celebrity and had he spoken about sex before/outside of marriage, almost all Indian women organisations would have asked him to apologize and take the video back. (The backlash video already highlights this part and its actually funny to watch. The uploader of the male version cleverly included random male celebrities, mostly non-Indian and used the same lines. This video which doesn't have a brand name or a male celebrity face shows an even more powerful message at the end: "Respect women & men")

Bits and pieces of the video and some of the lines are good. If we choose to see this video on a per person (or per woman) basis, it makes sense to an extent. That would justify most of the choices mentioned on the basis of free will. Highlighting the 'O' in 'choice' with a big red bindi and thereby generalizing the points in the video for all Indian women , while DP was merely reading the lines someone else prepared for her is bad celebrity behavior and the video took a blow because of this generalization.

Where is gender equality if everything becomes her (our) choice without consideration or respect for the 'other' in a relationship? What is the point of fuming and fretting over men and relationships with men if we are not ready walk by their side and we choose to walk all over them? Something DP and the makers of my choice should have thought about.

3 people like this.
  3. Rohanj

Rohanj Gold IL'ite

Well, there's nothing wrong in having free will. But to exercise free will in having EMA in wrong na. What I want to say is that they could have not used this sex outside marriage example. No where does it empowers a woman with that statement.

4. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Sometimes women don't give other women basic human space and freedom to choose their choice.
    This video is not only for (or against) men but also for women. The moment we assumed the messages in the video are intended only for men (and that's what the video is promoting too), the meaning of gender equality is lost.

2 people like this.
  5. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

On fb this was shared and came across - I didn't watch it.

I would never watch it as well - like someone who quoted Saina or it could be an unknown woman who had empowered herself on her own, would have passed a better message. Credibility is more important here. Be it for either gender.

She just en-cashed her fame and name - is this empowerment????

3 people like this.
  6. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@sdiva20:
    Technically she is, because she is the face and voice of this vogue empower initiative video.

5 people like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You have to see the video to get how silly the whole thing is.

A plain statement that 'extra marital sex is an individual choice' is one thing. In the context of the video, the video's intent, and other statements in the video, it does come across as silly and downright stupid and put on.

7 people like this.
  8. Grihani

Grihani Gold IL'ite

"
    Dear Deepika Padukone,Indian parents want to see their daughters becoming Saina Nehwal, Kalpana Chawla and Kiran BediNot Sunny Leone.
    "

2 people like this.
  9. JanSri

JanSri Silver IL'ite

Saw about half the video and couldn't be bothered to watch the rest.
    'With great power comes great responsibility.......'
    Think not. Particularly for those who have blind fan following. Haven't seen the interview but if this video is 'trending' there are enough half-brained individuals who can take the wrong message out of this. Poor 'choice' and very irresponsible!!
    J

10. Grihani

Grihani Gold IL'ite

"Yeah, you are right, Dear Deepika. Everything is your "choice" as exemplified in your powerful video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtPv7IEhWRA
    Making such videos only when you have an upcoming movie release to garner public attention for your movie, is also your choice:
    http://www.fashionnstyle.com/…/deepika-padukone-new-movie-p…
    Meeting Dawood Ibrahim to fund your movies is also your "choice":
    http://www.currentnewsofindia.com/deepika-padukone-secretl…/
    Talking about being happy in size 15 is your "choice", and the very same day itself, promoting Kelloggs K to glorify size 0, is also your "choice":
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiMUsmPCIAAAuDK.jpg:large
    And most importantly, having an illicit relationship is your "choice" but don't cry foul if your husband also has an extra marital affair because it is his "choice".
    However, I still appreciate your video because it is your life, and being hypocrite, illogical, insane is also your choice. I will have a problem only when you start interfering in my life and mock at me, my culture, belief & habits. (I am sure you will not call me a coward because I visit temples and worship idols and I am sure you will not call me insensitive because I am an engineer and you will not stereotype me because I am from South India, and so on).
    i.e As long as you keep your "choice" within your personal zone and do not take the idea of "choice" to poke your nose into my zone, I will support you and defend you. All the best.
    PS: You need not work so hard to promote your upcoming movies. We will watch them anyway because we have no choice :) "

~ Guruprasad on FB

3 people like this.