1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Deepavali gave us a surprise gift...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by RamyaMusic, Nov 13, 2015.

1. RamyaMusic

RamyaMusic Silver IL'ite

Yes, you read the title right.. Deepavali gave us a surprise gift.. It gave the joy of sailing paper boats to my son.. It gave us the chance to celebrate with candle light dinner.. It made us understand the true character of people, their humility and generosity.. It made us enjoy the serene atmosphere at night with just diyas. It gave us all an experience of adventure.

I hail from the power city and this Diwali, it recorded a 40 cm rainfall and the town was marooned.. Many trees fell down and our garden looked devastating.. There was no power for 3 days starting from the day before Diwali . My husband and brother started from Chennai the day before Diwali, but couldn't enter our town thanks to the heavy flowing water all around. They had an adventurous trip and finally reached home at night.

On Diwali day, we lit a gas stove outside and placed a big kunda for hot water. It reminded me of my grandma's days.. And TV remained a silent spectator this time keeping its mouth shut..

There was continuous downpour and it recorded 40 cm in just a single day. My son loved watching the rain and the water flowing down swiftly in a stream.. On Diwali day, he happily sailed kathikappal and sandaikappal.

The house looked serene with diyas everywhere. Mobile phones lost signal, slowly died out of battery.. The only form of communication was bsnl landline.. No power, no Internet, no WhatsApp and skype calls, no Facebook messages.. Only very few close ones who knew the landline number called. We too called only those few people whose numbers were always in memory just like them..

It was my cousin's thalai deepavali.. The newly weds and the In-laws had come to my aunt's place in our town. The In-laws were so understanding that they said, "we need to bow before nature's power. And it was so great of you to take care of all of us amidst these hurdles". My aunt was moved to tears for having been blessed with such wonderful In-laws. Not to mention, they also helped pouring out the water that just entered the house.

All in all, it was a beautiful and powerful Diwali sans power..

11 people like this.

2. daisy2015

daisy2015 Platinum IL'ite

Nice snippet RamyaMusic:) Like they say "every coin has two sides". It depends on what you choose to see when the worst hits you. Some may see the power cut and non-availability of net, mobile. While others see this as an opportunity to light the candles and spend time with their family and friends without any disturbances. When you are with people you love and with those who love you, nothing else matters. Every day turns out to be the best day even when it is filled with troubles. Actually it is at that moment we come to know who our real well-wishers and friends are.

1 person likes this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Good one Ramya dear, glad you enjoyed your Diwali though there was rain and as Daisy has mentioned glad you enjoyed the candle light . Glad that your cousin's in laws were happy that her parents entertained them even in the rains in whatever possible ways they can instead of feeling sad because of rains. Your narration was superb and I felt I was also with you

4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear ramya,
    Some people sulk and sulk when some unforeseen thing happens (it may not be a big calamity) but your positive attitude is fantastic! Unique Diwali and you all have enjoyed it. I am happy about it.
    Sysmala

5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Nice Ramya,
    For people who are used to life with 'power ever', this powerless Deepavali may initially pose problems. Once the unavoidable has to be managed, there will be solutions from all corners. A real Deepavali of 'from darkness to light' or the otherway round.
    In 1976, our house in Chennai was flooded.The well was to the brim.The ground could absorb no water.On those days there was no drainage facility in our area.The septic tank was full and waterclosets too. For nearly 5 days, it was continuous rain.
    We could take water from the well as though from a bucket.Attending to nature's call was the biggest problem, as we could not use the water closets from where the dirty was entering the house.Even today I feel terrible thinking of those days,managing with two children, MIL and an additional guest.
    It took nearly a week for the drain to function.'Water water everywhere,not a drop to drink'-- became a real life experience for a week.
    Jayasala 42

6. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

nice snippet @ramyamusic. I am longing for such a day - A day without gadgets and electronics. When there was no power, fortunately we all got an opportunity to sit together and chit chat since the gadget monster television was given no power. this happened after very long days. Thanks to nature. Thanks to electricity board for such a maintenance ;-) If they would have maintained it properly, we would not have lost the power and hence gained the family gettogether time.
    Hope like us many people would have enjoyed this gift!!!

7. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Ramya,

Diwali which will be remembered fondly with an awe for you and the family. I did grew up during the war in Sri Lanka. We didn't have electricity for years. We studied in the lamb light and after 7Pm, we all will sit outside the house and sing as we like. I so remember the moments with pure joy. If we need to listen to Radio, my brother has to cycle so that dynamo will provide the power for the radio. It was a great pleasure to listen to radio for few minutes if we were lucky. Those days taught us so much and I am very thankful for that experience.

hope you have settled back with normalcy now.
    Vani

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ramya,

I enjoyed reading your snippet with great interest as it demonstrated how you handle the huddles in life. God bless those wonderful in-laws who took everything in their stride understanding the nature rather than blaming it on people.

I did my schooling in the power town too but it was in late 1960s. Your snippet brought great memories of my young age.

Viswa

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ramya,
    power town without power and and adventurous Deepavali celebrated as in old days with Diyas!

Instead of blaming and cursing the weather it was very nice to handle it with composure is really very appreciable.

A nice snippet,

PS

10. RamyaMusic

RamyaMusic Silver IL'ite

@daisy2015,
    Thank you dear. True, it was a great time to spend with the family..