1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Debonair Musical Wizard

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Cheeniya, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

C.Ramchandra. I really don't know where to start and where to end. His music is so boundless that I find it difficult to confine him within few lines of narration. Take a look at the man. Don't you feel like saying 'Handsome is what Handsome does'? Can a man achieve so much in a span of just 64 years? He did all that and more. C.Ramachadra was a music maker of rare genius. In making his music, he saw no language barriers. He was as successful in Tamil as he was in Hindi. Lata always gave her extra bit when she sang his songs. We can go on talking about him but his gave us much more than all the written and spoken words about him
    Shall we look at some of his songs?
    Listen to this from Sin Sinaki Boobla Boo (1958)

If your heart is still in solid condition after hearing this song, it must then be 'unmeltable'!

Then the song of all songs from Anarkali (1953)

The heroine who sings the song in the movie is Bina Rai. She was the wife of Prem Nath, brother of Krishna who was the wife of Raj Kapoor. Prem Nath's brother was Rajendra Nath who was a slapstick comedian who specialized in riding a donkey or a horse facing its back! Remember Prem Nath is Bobbi?

Listen to this song from Navrang:

Have you ever heard Asha in such a voice?

This song was wrested by Latha from her sister asha who was scheduled to sing it:

Jawaharlal was reported to have been moved to tears hearing this song.

Lastly do hear to this Tamil song tuned by him:

The two most graceful stars vying with each other for supremacy!

Star25, Rajijb, Gauri03 and 4 others like this.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

While we are taking this trip down memory lane, I hope you don't mind if I indulge in some personal nostalgia. My mother was married at the age of 18. After marriage with my grandfather's encouragement she completed her graduation, and then wanted to get a post-grad degree, but by that time she'd had me. After getting housework done when she'd sit down to study, she would put a portable transistor tuned to the Vividh Bharati programs on All India Radio on the bed next to me. As per her, even as an infant I would lie there without a peep or nod off to the songs, and allow her to study. I was babysat by these melodies. They are indelibly etched in my mind.

As a singer C Ramachandra went by the name Chitalkar. I had heard so many of his renditions and compositions but didn't realize that they were the same person until adulthood.

Here is a lovely duet with Lata Mangeshkar from Azaad (1955),

And this one we lobbed at the boys even in my college hostel days. :D

Actually he sang all the fun and peppy songs in the movie 'Albela'.

Shola jo bhadke is a classic. Even after the dozens of remixes, there is no equal to the original!

3. Cheeniya

@Gauri03
    You are indeed taking me down memory lane. Geeta Bali was my favourite Star and it's a pity that she died so young at the age of 34.
    When Azaad was released Dilip Kumar was just touching his 30. Today he is 96. He doesn't wear even specs. Dilip Kumar had great fun acting with Meena Kumari in a light role. In the Tamil version of the movie titled Malaikkallan (Thief of the mountain), MGR was the hero. He loved the role and the movie was a great success. Thereafter MGR became a legendary star and ended as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. He was awarded Bharat Ratna posthumously. My brother was his Home Secretary when MGR was Chief Minister.
    This song by Lata and her sister Usha was another hit from Azaad

Rajijb, Gauri03 and justanothergirl like this.
  4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

A refreshing playlist. Loved reading about kutty G @Gauri03 sleeping while Ameen Sayani played his Geetmala on Vivid bharathi.
    One more favs from Albela

Gauri03 likes this.
  5. Cheeniya

Along with the hero of Albela, this post has also been put to sleep! Let's move on. We have to catch with AR Rehman soon!

Gauri03 likes this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I could spam your threads until kingdom come but I hesitate. :smile: Waiting for the next episode of Cheeniya's retro playlist!

Cheeniya likes this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I also realized they were the same person a few years after listening to them. The revelation came in Lata's voice. In her playful, smiling voice. It was on an audio cassette or the Jaimala program for armed forces.

===========
    Two of his songs that never fail to bring me peace. Both from Nausherwaan-e-Adil. Came to know the movie name after youtube! before that just the songs ...

Taaron ki zubaan pe hai and Yeh hasrat thi ke is duniya mein

Rajijb likes this.
  8. Aarushi8411

Aarushi8411 New IL'ite