1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Death Comes As The End

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, Mar 4, 2017.

1. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Agatha Christies have always been my favourite. Recent events, here and abroad kept bringing to mind the title of one of her books, ‘Death comes as the end’.
    It is said about Death that it is certain but what is uncertain is the how and where of it. The other morning we read about a young man who was shot to death by a Navy veteran in the US. It is a sad state of affairs when there is so much hatred in life. Then we read about two small children who drowned to death in a washing machine full of water. What a shock it must have been to the parents! Life will never be the same for them again. Will they face the tragedy together or will the husband keep blaming the wife? A student was stabbed to death by his classmates. Why did they do that? We will never know. I wonder if they know.
    Death is so final. The young die and we believe it is long before their time. But who decides when their time is up? There are people who long for death and death does not come to them. Why does this happen? We in India believe that when the time comes for us to leave this world, we have to leave it. Nothing can stop it.
    In Chapter 2, shloka 27 of the Bhagavad Gita, Krishna says to Arjuna, “Whoever is born, to him or to her Death is certain; to the Dead birth also is certain; it is not, therefore, fit for you to mourn for this unavoidable fact.”
    But, with the death of near and dear ones, specially untimely, sudden and unexpected death, all Philosophy flies out of the window.
    Those who die are no more; but, for those who are left behind, life become so difficult. Some come to terms with their loss but others do not.

In this context, I remember the poem, Little Things. I don’t know who has written it.
    “Too often we don’t realize what we have

until it is gone.
    Too often we wait too late to say
    “I am sorry – I was wrong.”
    Sometimes it seems we hurt the ones
    We hold dearest to our hearts;
    And we allow foolish things
    to tear our lives apart.
    Far too many times we let
    unimportant things into our minds,
    And then it is usually too late
    to see what made us blind
    So be sure that you let people know
    how much they mean to you;
    Take that time to say the words
    before your time is through.
    Be sure that you appreciate
    everything that you have got.
    And be thankful for the
    LITTLE THINGS IN LIFE”

Manipal lake 25th Feb (2).jpg

vaidehi71, Mistt, joylokhi and 2 others like this.

2. Doree

Doree Platinum IL'ite

Facts of life well said. Liked the poem you shared.

LakshmiKMBhat likes this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Can't help wonder at the perversity of fate/destiny or whatever. Why is it that those who long for death are sentenced to live longer or put another way, those who live long are the ones who wait for death to relieve them. Why do people who want to live long die young? Some questions, I guess, can never be answered.

BTW, a beautiful photograph. Have you clicked it?

LakshmiKMBhat and Mistt like this.
  4. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful snippet. No answers for who decide and when the time is up. Nice poem and picture. I appreciate everything that I have got and be thankful for the little things in life and cherish for simple things which makes me happy but sometimes I allow foolish things and un important things into my mind and make myself sad. I should be overcome those things....

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear LakshmiKMBhatt,
    Death is sure to come and as one enter this world the expiry date also is dtermined by the One above.
    As you have said if one dies at a young age we really feel very sad. Some people find it very difficult to accept the death of thier loved one and never come to terms.
    Those who long for death are made to wait endlessly and they feel frustrated.
    We can never understand matters like this with our limited knowledge and has to satisfy ourselves that destiny determines everything.
    PS

6. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Thank you Satchi, there is a manmade lake in our place, a walking track around it. We go there at least three time a week. It is good to watch sunset there. Lakshmi

satchitananda likes this.