1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Day care - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Baby Sitting / Day Care' started by manju_j, Apr 6, 2005.

1. manju_j

manju_j New IL'ite

Just wanted to get you all thoughts on sending kids to day care?

We had a baby 8 months ago. I was working for a small company before I had my baby. Since the job wasn't all that promising, I didn't return to job after my delivery and instead decided to take care of the baby and get some additional rest.

Now, I am getting bored. I would like to start working again, but need to find a satisfying way to take care of my kid. Myself and my husband talk about this a lot and discuss all the positives and negatives of sending kids to daycare, but we never come to a conclusion.

If you all can help me by sharing your experience with daycare or even your experience being a stay at home mom, it will greatly help me in taking a decision.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2005

2. Roshni

Roshni Local Champion Staff Member Senior IL'ite

Day care

Manju,

Since your kid is only few months old, I am sure more care would be required. I would recommend to get a baby sitter home, so that you get individual attention to your kid.

Take care,
    Roshni.

3. jenifer

jenifer New IL'ite

Hi Manju,
    I would like to share me personal experience regarding parenting. I am professionaly qualified and was working. But I quit the job when I was carrying my little darling baby. Now I am happily enjoying looking at my baby growing up.

It should be your decision to choose between the career and family. As far as I was considered I did not regret quitting the job for the sake of my kid. :D

Now I am a happy home maker having fun with my kid. The small pleasures of looking at the baby's growth would definitely be lost for a career women.

It is your life. You take a careful decision.
    bye.

4. christy

christy New IL'ite

Hello Manju,
    I am a carrer woman who used to leave my kid in a day care center. You need to look at some basic factors before you put your child in a day care center.
    First the center should have trained teachers and support staff to take good care of the baby. The center should be spacious to accomodate the child's movement. It should not be claustrophobic restricting the baby's crawling and other such activities.
    The choice of the center is very crucial as we are leaving our dear baby in the hands of others.
    bye.

5. madhu_cute

madhu_cute Junior IL'ite

Read the attached article

Hello,

On reading this thread, I recollected an article I read about dangers in a daycare quite sometime back in Wallstreet Journal.

Luckily I had a scanned copy of the article. I have attached the same...read it.

Interesting fact from this article is that children get more aggressive and disobedient if they are left in daycare in the very early years.

Attached Files:

6. gopalan

gopalan Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    We appreciate your work.Health is more important than wealth.and affection from mom is important than anyother wealth.Bringingup child is not a easy job .we should do the job with great care.
    Everybody should follow your footstep.

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.bonkHATESOFF TO YOU

7. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

based on my experience -
    if you are in india, have a nanny come to your home and take care of ur kid. if you have elders at home, it is added advantage. otherwise ask your neighbours to peep in every now and then. if you are outside india, day cares are best. but choose that one that is closer to your work place, has CCTV and ready to show you the tapes at any time, look for the nanny-kid ratio, and get opinions from other parents who have left their kid. but all the more if you are not desparate enof to go to work, better stay back and enjoy your kid growing. :)

8. VijiArun

VijiArun New IL'ite

the best advice is, if u want ur kid to develop into a very secure and confident person then only moms unbounded affection and love can do that...no other magic is there in this world to bring back that to a kid if its not the love from the mom...it may be a little biased but simply put theres no substitute for that and everything else is a compromise...

but I wouldnt say u to sit at home and just be next to the kid all the time..after 18 months are so they need to play a lot than we think...so give them some free playtime and u can continue ur favorite activity or go to classes and eventually if possible u can plan a part time...these are big decisions and please take the time to decide on these...

many researches have indicated the improvement in the security and confidence of the kids and moms quantity time involved in it...and these will go a long way in their life to face any struggle and handling people..

this is my view only...hope it helps...thanks

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  9. nehausa

nehausa Senior IL'ite

no matter how much u criticize daycare but almost every child goes todc in usa..

I THINK INDIA IS HEAVEN FOR KIDS,,,,LOVE IS POURED ON THEM ALL THE TIME...

even i my lo is 8 month a job offer in hand and so confused where to leave the baby???