1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Daughters of Narcissistic mothers

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Veerah, Feb 18, 2016.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

It is normal to get easily pissed off with the naughtiness and childish nature of our older children, when we are already very tired and almost sick with the younger ones, when they are really small.
    We tend to excuse the small ones for their age, vulnerability etc... but we will be harsh on the older one.
    It happens. Perhaps to discipline the older one or stop them from doing worst things that are risky and problematic.
    Although being harsh or punishing kids can never be justified, your mood swings and state of mind can be understandable. As you said, you can pacify them with a candy or toy later on to get rid of your guilt.
    And hopefully your sickness, tiring times will pass too. So, it is a temporary scenario. No significant harm I could see here.

However, if you are punishing/being harsh with your older one for no good reason, for none of her mistake, then it is serious. Because you are hating the child for no apparent reason.
    Your guilt and self realization reminds that you are still a normal mom. But it is one serious fact that you should consider before things go worst.

2. twinklingstar

twinklingstar Gold IL'ite

actually when i loose my temper i really use harsh words..but now i have reduced it as have become very conscious about it. and yes also i compare her with others..but now have completely stopped after reading all these stuffs here...

3. twinklingstar

twinklingstar Gold IL'ite

thank you sooooo much @1sandhya and @SGBV...i have no words to really thank both of you.
    few points sandha really touched me and being aware of them unconsciously i was doing that due to hectic life and some stress (which have reduced since have joined positive forum).
    and SGBV u r ture and all your suggestion i will definitely keep in my mind next time. actually coming to this thread last time and today there is drastic change in me as all what OP mentioned was torturing me and made my guilt high.

2 people like this.
  4. maya9876

maya9876 Silver IL'ite

@twinklingstar - You are not a narcissistic mother if you realise your mistakes and want to change your behaviour. So you are definitely nothing to the narcissistic moms this thread talks about. But as you said, if you are scolding your child to the core for her silly mistakes and being very harsh on her always it will affect her growing up. Remember that she is also just 7yrs old. Older than your 15 month old but definitely still a child. You saying that you buy everything she wants etc is nothing compared to actually exhibiting love and affection in your behavior with her. It is definitely hard handling two kids so I can understand your stresses and annoyances but maybe try and control your anger towards her , show more patience toward her antics.
    Do you appreciate her when she does well in something, be it playing or painting or studying, whatever? If yes, great! if not start doing that.
    Good to know you already started changing your behavior towards her..well done.

1 person likes this.
  5. jmsd

jmsd Silver IL'ite

@veerah@coolgal@preetinh

What about the healing process?
    In my case,my soul stubbornly refuses to move on from the void which my mother nurtured in me ,while my pragmatic self sees the urgency of moving on.
    Maturity does bring a lot of understanding.But as strange as it sounds the more I understand the causes and effects of my mother's behavior,the more it hurts.
    For example,I have figured that I have been avoiding making many female friends in my life.
    I always preferred to hang around with boys when I was a kid.Probably I was scared of being close to somebody resembling my mother in behaviour.Probably yes.
    There were yearnings for female companions.
    I have always yearned for a sister.Didn't have her.Was optimistic about my sister in laws but they had each other.
    Longed for a daughter.Was not so lucky there too.

These are few of the truths which I am eventually discovering.
    But they shock me(God! I did what I did because I felt like this?)
    And they are not reassuring.They are just like revelations which answer a lot of whys but fail at answering the most important 'Why' of all.Why my mother was to be like this?Why couldn't I enjoy the much cherished 'mother daughter' relationship and everything about mine had to be the opposite?
    My mommy dearest is still the same.Beyond redemption.The animosity between us still remains.
    If only option of healing is moving away,it does not undo the hurt which doesn't seem to go anywhere.
    I feel there is no greater hurt than that caused by one's own mother.

@veerah
    I felt really good about your feelings for your mother.
    I wish to find my reassurances in my sons and hope that they too judge me kindly if it ever comes to that. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Veerah

Veerah Senior IL'ite

@coolgal123

Sorry to hear that you too had a narcissistic moms. Not necessary that all NMs beat their child, there's more to their behavior than beating. So yes, your moms behavior surely seems like one of narcissism. No child deserves to be put down like that.. its hurtful as moms are supposed to be a child's first cheerleader. But glad to know that you had a supportive father. Atleast you have reprieve in form of your dad. How are you dealing with your mom now? Is she still involved in your life? Hope you are healing from your scars slowly but steadily..Thanks for sharing your story.

7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sandhya,
    I completely agree with you. Our frustrations should not result in scolding a child. And no point in apologising later.
    Syamala

8. Veerah

Veerah Senior IL'ite

Dear @jmsd,

Perhaps this is the time to tell you that it was your previous posts on IL that made me connect it to my mom’s experiences, it was your story that led me to research more on this topic and find answers to most of our 'whys'.

Your previous posts about your mom’s treatment of you when you were a child etc, resonated greatly with me as it was exact similar experiences with my mom. In one of your posts I sensed a lot of confusion, a lot of unanswered questions and I connected with that as growing up with my mom I sensed all the exact same emotions in my mom. Mom would confide a lot in me and I became a close friend to her as I grew up listening to her stories. This brought us closer. A lot of the times I would support my grand mom and give her the benefit of doubt. Not because I loved my grandmom but because I couldn’t phantom how a mom would do that to a child. I always felt there was a reason why grandmom would treat mom a certain way etc. Maybe mom was too naughty, maybe mom was stubborn, maybe grandmom was stressed etc etc. But now I know the reason. The reason has nothing to do with mom but with my grandma’s personality. And it will never change that’s what I have learned from a lot of books on this topic. And that is the worst of it.

Is healing possible? Yes it is. Will it take a long time.. yes it will. Has my mom healed? Not completely as the scars are still there but she has accepted it as part of her life and moved on as she’s busy focussing on other things in her life eg: me , my kids, her friends, her career etc. When she was younger it would have been harder as you see people with their moms and you yearn for that. But as you grow older, once you are completely independent of your maternal family then it surely gets easier. What also helped making it easier is the distance mom kept with them. The distance does not undo the hurt. Mom was hurt, best years of her childhood were overshadowed by this treatment, just like you have been, she had to accept that she was hurt, she didn’t have a good mom like most did, just like you will have to. Once you accept it, you grieve and then you are ready to move on to make the rest of your life happy. Mom decided to focus all her energy on her career, me and on my dad. She went ahead and finished two degrees while growing me up and having a job. We had a happy life and it also helped that over time we were doing better in our lives than her maternal family. Karma perhaps?! Who knows. But it improved my mom’s confidence. She had come to a point where she said she doesn’t need anyone and she will never rely on her maternal family for anything ever again. With that thinking we are completely cut off from them which made our everyday lives smooth as our minds gets busier with everyday chaos.

There are lots of websites and forums where people share their experiences and how they healed. A lot of resources online help you understand ways you can heal the scars. I made mom read up on these and she found it greatly resonated. Though shes in a place now where she doesn’t care much it made her feel like she knows why atleast. Why her mom is different and that she wasn’t imagining all this and why it was different for her.

As for this…

Im grateful that mom was exactly opposite to her mom in every way. If I feel so highly about my mom, its only because of what an amazing mom she is to me. I am sure you are too a good mother to your kids and that will definitely be the biggest gift you can give them and the best medicine for your broken heart. Hugs to you.

1 person likes this.
  9. Veerah

Veerah Senior IL'ite

Yes generic, that is too. It is their past that makes them like this. In my grandma's case, she is from a super dysfunctional family and never had moms love. She had a screwed childhood to put it mildly. But yes no justification for treating one child like this while treating another completely different. No justification for putting a child through this kind of treatment. :(

10. Veerah

Veerah Senior IL'ite

Glad to know you have been changing your behavior and that posts like this are helping you in some way.
    Show both your kids all your love, affection, patience and maturity..long after all the choclates have been consumed, all the toys have worn out, it is only your love,hugs, affection and encouragement that will stay in their mind forever.

2 people like this.