1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Daughter after marriage become outsider ?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by abcmart, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I am getting half share.
    Who said daughters are outsiders..I don't agree

2. friendabc

friendabc Silver IL'ite

will u pls elaborate ur ans .. can u give some details abt the share u r getting cuz there r many pragmatic problems in that. for example if u r talking abt a flat of ur parents then who lives there and how u went abt that.
    and abt daughters being outsiders ...here nobody is saying that ..daughters r complaining that they r not getting fair treatment after bro's marriage . sil r getting priority...many daughters feel that way after brother's marriage , many parents deviate one way or other. do u hv sil ?? if u can elaborate abt ur half share then it will be helpful for many daughters .they can also learn from ur experience btw. except for few percent most girls get unfair treatment (more or less) ..discrimination against girl child hs bn going on since ages. india is infamous for that. india has the largest female foeticide in the world ...our condition is far far better than that ..fortunately we r not in that category but most will say that there is still some sort of bias towards the male child.
    pls elaborate as much as possible . other daughters pls feel free to express ur emotions ..
    thanks
    :)

3. friendabc

friendabc Silver IL'ite

wow ..u have some nerves to give such biased comment...can u pls explain how on earth can a new relation change the realations with ur own parents?? i mean lets here ur justification ...u semm to be saying that since this happens a lot ..let us all consider it to be a new "normal" and just dont do anything abt it . be mute and accept ur fate. this was the whole gist of ur comment . now pls enlighten all daughters by giving the justification for the fairness. otherwise ur jaundiced attitude will be exactly what uve called it urself ..that is 2 cents worth

4. Sunshine04

When parents itself differentiate,nothing can be done.
    About share
    I didn't do anything.
    I am blessed to have loving parents.
    I have one elder brother.
    My parents decided to give half to me and half to my bro.
    My sil dont interfere in this.we are not close either.
    I dont like indian society rules like
    After marriage forget about ur parents.
    Girls after marriage need to do their duties also.
    When girls have rights over proper3,they need to take care of parents when sick.

nakshatra1 likes this.
  5. Sunshine04

If my parents had given everything to my brother,i would not have fought with my parents.
    I got a land .my brother got a house.

nakshatra1 and momsky like this.
  6. friendabc

friendabc Silver IL'ite

thats easier said then done . here r 3 main points
    1- since uve got ur share , u think that way/ if u hadnt got ur share u wd hv asked for it 101%
    2- it was practically easier for ur parents to give u share cuz they had land and house ..but what if they only had one huge house where they lived with ur bro and sil..how they cd hv done that???
    3- I agree that daughters shd also take care of parents

7. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

No, I didn't and won't going to complaining about it. I love my parents unconditionally so I won't expect any materialistic things from them. I have sister and brother both are elder to me.Eventhough We didn't get equal share of property, I don't care about that. My parents blessings, affection, prayers are with us and I get their emotional support when I need. That is worth for me.:)

momsky likes this.
  8. friendabc

friendabc Silver IL'ite

well ..from ur post .it seems that u believe that all those daughters who r feeling left out , dont love their parents unconditionally... but u refuse to address the problem of daughters whove bn treated as 2nd class citizen (on many cases) ..
    LOL...SO ur logic is that - its all right for parents to favour sons over daughters ..its all right for parents to ignore their own daughters..on the basis of gender and there is absolutely no problem and its totally fine for parents to love and support only sons and totally ignore daughters ... wow ..
    sorry...i think just b/c uve got more share frm ur parents...dsnt mean all hv got. first donate that share to women who r suffering gender biased /or better return ur share to ur brother or give it back to ur parents ..then only u will be able to realize..cuz right now ur pockets r filled with ur parents's money thats why u r lecturing others to forget abt their share and abt "unconditional blessings love bla bla"
    sorry ..dont want to be blunt but thats what reality is.(btw arent u a MAN ...?? not a WOMAN)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

The problem is that we are modern, yet apply traditional rules as per our convenience.

Daughters are happy to stay away from parents, and leave all the responsibilities towards aged/ailing parents to sons- SILs as per the tradition.
    Daughters are happy to get big fat dowry by draining almost all the savings of their parents in the name of marriage, and they don't feel guilt as it is a part of custom.
    Daughters are happy to make further requests from parents in terms of culture like gifts for Thala Diwali, child birth, and few other traditional ceremonies, in which parents are expected to give expensive gifts.

During all these matters, the sons are expected to earn, share their salary with parents for their living, and take care of them when they need physical support. DILs are forced to provide care for the old parents since they married to these sons.
    If parents can't afford to pay/support the marriage or after marriage expenses of the daughter, then by default the son has to bear that duty too. Because the tradition is like that only.

AND... the tradition wants to be fair to both genders; thus it says the properties need to be given to the son.
    It says the property needs to be given to the one who takes care of the older parents.

We are Americanized in our thoughts, but in practice we are typical villagers.

Legally the properties need to be shared equally regardless of the gender of the children.
    Morally the responsibilities of taking care of the old parents need to be shared among children.
    Practically the children need to divide the responsibilities depending on their circumstance. Such as the one living with them should give emotional/physical support, the one living in abroad (and earn in $) should give financial support and the one lives elsewhere within India, can visit parents when in need and spend some days to give a break to the other sibling who is living with the parents.
    This way, the parents can divide their assets too.

The child who is living with parents get more care, pampering and love to the grand-kids. Also the older parent can give physical support like baby sitting, help in kitchen to the DIL when they can to expect any favor later on.
    The child who financially sponsor the parent can get a good share on the property.
    The child who is in need and who has financial struggle can be favored depending on his emotional support.

When we are not traditional anymore, don't apply the traditional standards only to asset sharing

Dishaa, nakshatra1, GoneGirl and 2 others like this.
  10. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

I'm not here to argue and I said about my feelings. Priorities are varies from person to person. My first priority isn't property. Look at your quote, that is personal question not the generalized question.
    Don't get guesses, my packets aren't fill with my parents money or not going to be happen. My parents brought us equally.
    I don't support gender discrimination.

momsky likes this.