1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dancing In The Rain... Handling Myself In A Conflict

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by MindVoice, Oct 14, 2016.

1. MindVoice

MindVoice Silver IL'ite

How do you deal with conflict, with a smile?
    Can you really?

I don't mean that pseudo-smile and cribbing inside.. I mean genuinely being composed in the face of conflict.

Whenever I have a fight with DH, one of two things happen. If its a small issue, instead of laughing and let go (aka dealing with it humorously) it becomes a silent mention in the head.
    (How do some people manage to just laugh off life's petty irritations, I wonder!)
    If its a bigger or dearer issue, it becomes cold war, which I cannot handle. Now that's bad, because one of my goals is to be assertive and set good boundaries. I have no idea how to be happy in myself when I'm being ignored/cold-shouldered.

I'm starting this thread to deal with these two things specifically in mind..
    Please share your tips, advice and anecdotes - or join me in my efforts at keeping oneself happy - and helping the marriage stay healthy..

kaniths, vaidehi71 and KashmirFlower like this.

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@MindVoice- Nope. Conflict and smiles are very far away from me.

Small issues- We talk it over. Whoever has the issue talks and the other listens. I have learned that listening is an art and sometime all we need is to listen what the other person says.
    I have an issue about how he acted/ reacted I talk to my DH and usually, the answers is "I wont do it next time". Sometimes he won't repeat it, some times he does... I just tell him again not to do it. Small issues we both don't mind talking about it, but won'tnt take it seriously.
    Ex- My Dh has a habit of nagging me, right before he leaves for work. He is well aware of his behavior and he just cants help himself. I have had to repeatedly tell him not to do it. This behavior has reduced a lot. But when he is stressed or has a deadline he nags/ reminds me of stuff. I just text him a few hours later he shouldn't do it and I tell him exactly what has to be told. He usually says sorry or yea he gets it. We both dont make a big deal out of it.

Bigger Issue- Is also talk, basically. It takes few extra days and a lot of thinking on how to handle the situation where I don't offend him, still stand my ground. Some of the bigger issues have to be communicated with a finesse, sounding fair to both parties. Otherwise, it will just lead to lot of other fairness problems.
    Usually, I start to explain my situation or how I see things from where I stand and I give an opportunity for my DH to talk too. Sometimes he talks more than required. Making sure he gets my final opinion is what matters.. not who talks more.

Certain things.. I just let it go. I just say yes. Let's do it. These are things which my DH has already made up his mind, not included me in the decision. ( like a brand of coffee maker )

However, I kinda delay the process... If I am not sure if the process will lead any fruitful results. My DH usually catches on my behavior and pushes me to go with it or makes sure we talk it over or makes me understand what I am not able to see.

It's a team effort. You need to know your husband better and communicate the way he understands. Its the same for your DH too, he should listen more to you, understand you more.

Communication is the key.

Goodluck.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    SGBV, BeingSoulful, MindVoice and 2 others like this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I assess every conflict I have with my husband. I categorise the conflict - there fall under various categories depending on priority, seriousness, consequences, my ability to do something about it etc.

Some fall under annoying and inconsequential. I have rather cathartic eye rolls perfected for the occasion and I completely ignore it. Then I remain normal.

If I need to do my thing but DH is opposing my decision rudely I say, back off / get off my back / you better take back what you said etc. Then I do my thing and remain normal.

Anything serious that has to be dealt with, I tell him I'm mad but will talk to him when I calm down. I first cool off. Then I prepare my argument and practice it in front of the mirror using intonation, making motes if necessary (I'm a bit obssessively thorough when I want to be) then implement my speech. I stick to the current problem and don't digress. I don't allow interruptions - I keep saying let me finish or I'm not finished yet. Once I've finished my speech, I refuse to listen to a reaction. I tell him clearly on don't want his reaction but want a considered response. I expect him to think it over and then talk to me about it. Then I walk away. Still I remain normal. It was a struggle but I persevered and now its second nature.

Husband's style used to be to say it rudely. I've taken away the power of that by not responding to what he says but reacting to his tone. I used to raise my eyebrows and state, I think you need to calm down and figure out what to say and how to say it instead of being rude. Then I'd continue the same way as before. If he needs a change, he had to be polite. If it were fair, I'd comply else explain clearly why it wasn't on.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  4. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Just talk with husband. Try to forget and forgive if hurts have happened either directly or indirectly by in laws. More over I never maintain silence for more than few hours. I initiate the talk and he probably will be waiting for it. Lol. Rarely had happened other way as well. Treat him as you would treat your own parents or friends. Infact more than them. That amount of love, affection will travel across to most partners ( not all because of the amount of problems I see people encountering). Most of the understanding couples have their own ways of solving their problems. Share your work be it at home or shopping etc. Share your chores at home. Make your life enjoyable every single day and every single act. These are the small things which enhances your understanding and love. Even silence if it is normal can enhance love. But silence due to misunderstanding should be avoided in a marriage, and every effort should be made to rectify this issue.
    All the best.

blindpup10 and MindVoice like this.
  5. MindVoice

MindVoice Silver IL'ite

Very interesting perspectives, thanks for sharing! There are nuggets to be gleaned from each of them..
    @guesshoo I really admire your flair and self-confidence. Wish I could be as bold as you - after marriage I find myself compromising a lot - and still that's not enough : its not even recognised but not vice versa! Okay no more venting.
    My ideas are more in @blindpup10's style..communication centred.. but DH is not the talking kind - atleast not to me ! So right now, it's a big challenge for both of us to even have a conversation about anything important.
    As @vaidehi71 mma pointed out, I can't handle helping quiet - esp being ignored - and that is the direct reason for this thread : to be able to be comfortable even when DH is giving the silent treatment... :confused:

I managed 3 days well last week, when we had a tussle over god-knows-what. I kept a positive outlook and didn't care about DH's reactions. Then had a meltdown (heavy crying :facepalm:) : something I was looking forward to all my life came up, and he kept his distance and I couldn't act on it (it needed an input from him). It frustrated the life out of me.
    After 24 hours he agreed to give his input, bcos it mattered to him as well. :BangHead: his agreement brought peace though it was too late to act on it.
    Had several hiccups until now. Ups and downs.
    I will not be moved. My happiness lies in my hands. This is my mantra. Trudging on (a bit anxiously).

vaidehi71 likes this.
  6. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

My happiness lies in my hands. This is my mantra.

That's the way to go to deal with any conflict. :thumbup:

7. MindVoice

MindVoice Silver IL'ite

Okay ladies!
    Some ups and downs. Mostly ups, because DH was in a good mood. So didn't get much chance to practise self-sufficiency.
    Had a 3-4days of down, when though all the negativity was coming back, I could remind myself enough of this thread and my mantra, to act cool even if I didn't feel so..and take positive action - which kinda helped.

But now we are back to some ego clash - what else can I call it when I dont even know why we are cold shouldering each other? He will blame me and I will blame him. I know I know I should let go, but I am feeling all stretched out, having to adjust all the while, and being criticised, even if nonverbally.
    But it makes me feel so blah.
    I should just learn to accept the blah, in order to overcome it. hmmm

8. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Aww man! I know how hard it is to be SAHM. Hugs to you.
    I exactly know how you feel, coz even with co-operating DH sometimes I feel exactly how you have put it.
    A thing or two- Look into Coursera. You can do online course for free or even get certification as low as $80-$100.
    Have you a strong support network- your family, parents, Indusladies, mommy groups. Do something for yourself. SAHM needs this "my thing" otherwise we are bound to go crazy.

momsky and MindVoice like this.
  9. happydance

happydance New IL'ite

@MindVoice - What can i say....you just voiced over my mind!.. in a very close similar situation. Receiving a cold shoulder treatment, blame game, unrecognized , unappreciated, ignored. I feel an emotional distance , depressed and lonely. I dont talk to family or friends about it. It is always his way and nothing of what i aspire to do matters, even if it is the smallest.

From Day 1 of this relationship i have been left to fend for myself, he has taught me how to be independent for which i'm indebted to him for my life!, but in the process he has forgotten how to love and care which is what i needed and still need.

I have to constantly remind him that i want his presence everywhere in my life, but i feel like i'm only part of his priorities. I get gifts, surprises for all the special days, but that is not what i need or asked for, a few minutes spared to talk to me about what i really wanted would have helped, but traveling for work during that prime time of bonding evaded such discussions completely.

I feel there is no compassion,affection here anymore and even if is there, it is only when he likes something get done from me and since I crave for this compassion , i give in, - he knows my weakness, i guess.. I feel like i'm sticking around just for the sake of responsibility and keep things at the bay.

I know i'm depressed, dont get the feeling that he is there for me no matter what comes my way!,

I dont talk to friends or family for the fear of being judged.

I barely vent out, but today i feel like i have given up and... i have...

10. MindVoice

MindVoice Silver IL'ite

Oh god, you have nearly said it all!
    I'm stunned by the level of similarities..and actually sad..
    Particularly what you mentioned about craving for the affection and giving in even when you know it's according their selfish (even if not totally bad) agenda..
    Its something I've zeroed in on and trying to stop, among other things.

I'm so glad you've learnt to become independent.. I am still learning.. I make progress, my mood improves, I get cool and confident and things improve and then DH becomes nice..I lower my defences, and bam! I'm whacked again where it hurts the most!
    I feel wicked writing this because I know my DH is a good man - and no this is not some guilty wifely defense - but we have emotional incompatibility I suppose. Funny thing is, I do not find him emotionally lacking with his blood relatives..so I'm perplexed and suppose that I'm probably not meeting his expectations too.
    Anyhow, I feel very strongly that knowing I cant change him, I just want to be emotionally self sufficient.
    I know its possible - there are so many single women out there, and I want to be happy. Thats all.
    And I believe correcting myself will surely influence DH and if at all he is so inclined, nudge him into being loving enough with me as well..
    Where he himself will make me a priority instead of being his last consideration..maybe someday..
    But his transformation is not the goal, only my happiness is.

Sorry for going on about me..I wanted to tell you that I think you are emotionally wonderfully strong to take this..Hats off!
    I totally understand how it can be awkward to express this to even family and friends - Expecting love and affection, and given due importance, is often seen as either expecting too much OR as an earned benefit for married women..Yet, we have to give unconditional love and support and sacrifice for our husbands, so that they may feel so for us?!! I find that unfair and unreasonable.

This is a difficult cross to bear, but please try to enjoy your life as well.. otherwise you will just end up drowning in resentment and frustration..
    Its happening with me, thats why I am fighting it vehemently - I never wanted to open up esp in an online forum..but I have been getting extremely frustrated, and this despite sharing my troubles with parents and a few bosom friends ( needed them to realise everything was not so rosy as I'd projected, in self defense when things got ugly once with husband..and I needed counsel). Talking about my efforts here is encouraging to me to make my life better..and get some advise on ways I can handle things better..and most importantly, I feel less frustrated. So please find your own tweaks to bring joy back into your heart..

Yes, as humans we need love and affection and caring.
    But we are also self sufficient spirits who have limitless joy within us.
    We can surely find a way to tap into that joy, and we will surely be given what our hearts yearn for - aren't the simple wishes of the heart God's own? In that way, giving up is a very good thing - trust, yes blindly despite the situation, that we will find happiness. We need to make our personal efforts but the God within and without is watching and cannot but help us.. After all that's his job..

Sorry again that this post became so long..But my heart goes out to you as if to my own self in a different world.. which is why I am unable to stop myself from prodding you to try to find happiness in yourself..

Rose03 and BeingSoulful like this.