1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Daily 'Surprice' at what Price!!

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Jithiks, Aug 9, 2008.

1. spandhana

spandhana Bronze IL'ite

Hi Krithika,
    I soak it overnight and with the same water (without draining) cook in slow cooker.
    I have tried cooking in pressure cooker by adding more water and keeping for more whistles,but that didnt click.
    u r welcome to ask as many questions as u want to clear ur doubts,nothing wrong in it and i can just share to my knowledge.
    But i didnt liked the brown rice texture.

Take Care
    Cheers,
    Spandhana

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Spandhana,

Thanks for the clear explanation of cooking Brown Rice. It will definitely take time for one to get used to a new variety of rice .

It is only with trial & error that we learn a lot in cooking ! Wonderful to see so many types of rice and different types of cooking the same !

Makes us all the more knowledgeable ! :)

Cheers
    Krithika

3. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Long grain is quite good. Just like the Ponni raw rice, it can be made grainy or very soft. It goes very well with sambar, rasam, etc.,

As for brown rice, though I have been having it for sometime, I really don't like it like the white rice. These days, I have it with sambar( or whatever gravy ) and kari/kootu for lunch at work. Usually I eat at my desk and don't focus much on eating, so it is fine. However, I find, it tastes good in the form of mixed vegetable rice, kichdi( with moong dhal ), with stir-fry vegetables, etc.,. Just that I don't like it much with sambar, rasam, curd, etc., But is definitely healthy, specifically good for people trying to loose weight, diabetics, etc., My MIL is diabetic and she has been having it for the past few weeks and her sugar seems to be controlled than before with just this dietary change. Unlike me, she seems to like it as she is used to having parboiled rice. So, probably you might like as well....! Give it a shot and increase the type of rice in your pantry :lol:

-Gayathri.

4. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Very nice posts. How did I miss this;
    Here is my list
    Daily cooking rice :Sona masoori
    Kanji: Long grained par boiled rice or rose Matta rice
    Pulao: Basmati rice
    Biryani : Jeeraga sala
    Idli: Was IR 20.
    When get into healthy eating; Uncle Ben's brown rice.
    -Nitha

5. shashivanshi

shashivanshi Senior IL'ite

whats the difference between Brown basmati and normal basmati w.r.t of Calories