1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Daily 'Surprice' at what Price!!

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Jithiks, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Vaidehi,

Thanks for giving a step by step explanation of preparing Udipi rice for kalandha saadham. Speaking of which, I do remember my mom using this method sometimes.

Your experience of eating Sambar saadam for 1/2 hour...my god...I was laughing so much !! Big LaughYou must have had real patience to chew it for that long !!

Cheers
    Krithika

2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Supriya,

Good to know the different ways you prepare rice for different dishes.

As for me, I always use pressure cooker for making rice, electric cooker at times, when there are guests.

For Pongal, I make the rice more mushy by adding more water and giving more whistles.

For Kalandha Saadam , I make the rice with separate grains by adding exactly twice the amount of water and just 2-3 whistles.

For regular use of rice for Sambar, kuzhambu and rasam etc, I add 1:1 1/2 (rice:water) and allow 3-4 whistles.

As for basmati rice, it will be exactly 1-2 whistles with exactly twice the amount of water as rice.

Thanks for sharing your method here.

Cheers
    Krithika

3. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Dear Oviya,

Many of us have been continuing with the same brand of rice as before. Sona Masoori and Raw rice seem to be mostly used for regular use. There is just a subtle price difference in both..I guess.

As for Mahatma Long Grain rice, good to know that it is suitable for pongals. Personally, I've never used it, but some of the people I know here say it is not suitable if we are very particular about the taste. One of my friends here mentioned that it was sticky (when she cooked for regular use) and when she made Idlis, they came out hard. Since she had tasted the idlis I make , she sweared that I will not like the idlis and dosas made from long grain rice. :)

Even when there was rice shortage and price hike, never wanted to go for an alternative. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope there is sufficient supply for all of us !! :)

Cheers
    Krithika

4. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Bhargavi,

Surprised of your entry ? :) Why..should I be? :)

Hats off to you for cooking different types of rice by various methods for all your family memebers !! I can totally empathize with you...

It is really gracious of you not to count yourself....:)..is that the secret of your slim figure (from what I saw in the "Faces Behind the Names" thread? )

So, how about idlis and dosais? What rice do you use for these?

Cheers
    Krithika

5. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Pavi,

Yes, rice prices are increasing everywhere..all around the world !!

What is broken basmati ? Is it different from regualar basmati rice?

As for long grain, how is the texture of the rice? Does it hold well when you make "kalandha Saadam" ?

What about idlis and dosas...do you get idli rice in London?

Cheers
    Krithika

6. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Vidhya,

As for Black rice, guess you would have got your answer from Usha's reply. She does not use it regularly. :)

As for brown rice, does it mix well with rasam & Sambar etc?

You are right about ponni raw rice, we feel hungry very soon ! But boiled rice is more fibrous and filling. Also heard that it does not make us put on weight like raw rice.

Cheers
    Krithika

7. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Usha,

Thanks for the explanation and clarification !!

You are absolutely correct ! To each his own. As long we are comfortable with the colour, it should be fine ! :)

Thanks for posting the pictures !

Cheers
    Krithika

8. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot Gayathri ! Glad you like this topic ! Hope the price raise of rice comes to a plateau !!

Guess, most of us use different types of rice for various purposes.

I've a couple of questions...

Does long grain rice taste good with our Indian cooking...like with Sambar, rasam, kuzhambu etc?

How about brown rice? Does it hold good for the above ?

Basmati and Idli rice seem to fill the pantry of many Indian homes !! :)

Cheers
    Krithika

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  9. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Vidya,

Good to know that you like rotis ! You are right about food during travel. It does become a little difficult when we are vegetarians and particular about healthy food with reduced calories !

Before, we never used to eat out during vacation & I used to carry the electric rice cooker, all dishes like kuzhambu, seasonings, chapathis etc that could withstand the long journey for 4-5 days.

But nowadays, kids are older and we do buy veggie stuff wherever we go...keeping in mind the healthier options ! :)

Cheers
    Krithika

10. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Spandhana, (nice name)

Brown rice seems to be a favourite for some...so does it have to cooked in slow cooker? Can't we cook it in our pressure cooker with extra water & more whistles? Will that work? So how long do we need to soak it before cooking? Do you use the same water for cooking or drain it out?

Sorry for asking so many questions...:) Just seems interesting & different method !

Thai rice reminds me of Jasmine rice (which I used briefly in Boston). the aroma is so overpowering and the texture was so sticky. My kids didn't like it. So stopped using it !

Thanks for sharing the different uses !

Cheers
    Krithika

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008