1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Daily 'Surprice' at what Price!!

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Jithiks, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Daily 'Surprice' at what Price !!

Well, I'll let you read the title between the letters (since there is only one line.) ;-)

Rice is the staple food for Indians. It is consumed all the more in South India, but I believe that North Indians too have their intake in the form of Basmati rice.

In South India, I've seen so many varieties of rice (raw rice) that have subtle differences in each state.

There are so many types of rice:

Raw Rice

Long grain raw rice
    Short grain raw rice

Par Boiled Rice

Regular par boiled rice
    Idly rice

Basmati rice
    These come in so many brands
    Samba rice
    Brown rice

Have I left out any other types?

Today, Rice has become a surp'rice' ! Yeah, I am talking about the steep hike in the price of rice everywhere (throughout the world)

Given this situation, some of us continue to purchase this whatever the price is, and some may have gone for an alternative brand they are not used to. So, what changes have you made if any?

I, for one, use these types at home

for regular use- Ponni Raw rice (for dh and kids)
    Ponni parboiled rice (just for me- since I heard that it may aid in maintaining weight as opposed to raw rice)
    for idli/dosa - Idly rice
    for Biryani/pulao- Basmati rice

So far I've not made any changes or switched over to an alternative. What about you?

Do share what type of rice you use at home along with its nutritional value in a trice ! :hiya

Admin Note: Here are relevant links on rice

What is Brown Rice
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/137592-for-rice-lovers.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/n...ates/176596-brown-rice-better-than-white.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/49202-basmati-or-sona-masoori.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/20628-brown-rice.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Krithika...Here goes my list of rice..

Daily use- Par-boiled rice cooked in traditional way by draining the starch

For making pongal(ven,lemon rice etc) - Sona masoori

For pulao- Kohinoor basmati

Biryani variety- Jeeraga samba

Idli/dosa - idli rice

Rice price..does affect our intake...what do you think?

3. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Krithika

I use Sona masoori for daily use, basmati for pulaos and Idly rice for Idkis and dosas

In addition, I recently bought small quantities of the following to taste in case there is any shortage for sona masoori etc.

1.Brown basmati 2.short grain 3.Red rice 4. Black rice 5. wild rice 6.Wild Mix
    7. Wild 100% 8. Arborio

So far, have tried black rice and like the flavor.

According to wikepedia ,It is supposed to be high in iron and nutritional value. It is from China and in olden days it was reserved for emperors. It was called forbidden rice because only emperors could have it.

4. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hi Krithika,

Good Topic....., We use Sona masoori Udipi Brand for our Daily intake. Usually we get Udipi Rice at a little cheaper Price than the branded ones like Priya or Lakshmi.... but Qlty is Excellent and u get absolute "Udhir Udhir" Rice.

For Pulaos and biryani .... i use Basamthi Rice, whereas for Idli/Dosai i use Idli Rice.

I also tried my hands on Long grain Rice for my Daily Cooking, but nobody at my house liked the Sticky Rice and is not suitable for our style of cooking. So Compulsorily had to switch to Sona Masoori..... Though my heart cries out Looking at the Price rise.

While i tried using Parboiled long grain Rice for idli/dosai but again failed coz i couldn't get it perfect as we get it with Idli Rice. So had No option other than to Opt for them.Haven't tried on Jasmine rice.... yet.:crazy

So i guess we don't have any option other than buying the same.

Cheers
    vaidehi

5. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Surpiya,

So you cook the par-boiled in traditional way, meaning do you cook it directly in a vessel instead of cooker?

Sona masoori- yes, I've used it when ponni raw rice was not available. It is almost same as raw rice in appearance.

Me too, I use Kohinoor Basmati rice for pulao.

Jeeraga samba - is it good? What colour is it? Does it have an unique flavor? Any particular reason for using this for Biryani?

As for the intake, I don't find much difference Supriya. Cause even before the price hike, I make everything in moderation (didn't have rice for all the meals in a day). So, it sort of balanced it out. :)

6. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Dear Usha,

So you also use Sona masoori for daily use. The other rices you've listed..are they good? Does the cooking method differ?

Do you pressure cook them, directly cook them on stove in a vessel or microwave them?

Btw, do you get trial bags with small quantities?

Learnt about forbidden rice...thanks Usha !
    It is good to learn more info about rice.

Is the red rice used by Mexicans? or is that brown rice? I've seen it in the stores in the Mexican food aisle.

Black rice...probably you can post a picture of it in cooked and uncooked form? Do you mix it with sambar/rasam? Or eat it plain with gravies?
    Interesting !

7. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Vaidehi,

Thanks !
    I've seen the Udipi brand in the indian stores, but have always hesitated. Since we've been used to Lakshmi brand all the time, was not sure about this.
    But, from what you've written, is it good for regular use and suitable for making lemon rice, Puliyodharai etc when we need to cook the grains separately?

When lakshmi brand was not available, we tried the Durbar & Bansi brand for raw rice and Idli rice, I must say,they were quite good !
    Even though our heart cries out, our tongue needs it ! Big LaughRight? Quite hard to make compromises in taste ! :)

As for Jasmine Rice, tried it once when we were in Boston. My god..it is sooo sticky (it is otherwise called sticky rice) and got a strong aroma. We never liked it much. Even when we keep minimum water and switch it off in one whistle, still it ends up sticky and gooey ! It was totally not suitable for our Indian cooking.

But many desis (whom I met there) said, that they had no other option. We used to drive almost 2 hrs to get our raw rice & idli rice. (that gave complete satisfaction ! :drool)

8. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hi Krithika,

Udipi rice is very good for making all Kalandha Sadham, But i found it very good for our daily intake with Sambhar and Rasam too.... usually i cook it in Pressure cooker .

Cost wise i get that brand for 24$ for a 20 lb bag whereas its 31$ for other branded rice over here in New Jersey.

True... even we feel fullly satisfied when we get to eat Desi Foods and somehow r yet to come to terms with managing with other items.....bonk.

cheers
    vaidehi

9. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Krithika

I have only tried the black rice so far. I am the only one who will try new things and hubby gives me company, so I make a small quantity each time. I tried putting water three times the rice, but I feel you can reduce it. I cooked in the pressure cooker.
    It tastes better with sambar. Black rice has more fiber.
    As I try other varieties, I will give you reviews.

Pics of uncooked and cooked black rice.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  10. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi Krithika..
    I have brought a pot(paanai) from India..for cooking rice.A correct fitting container to hold it for straining starch.

Jeeragasamba..is an aromatic rice..Before Basmati found its place among south Indians,this rice ruled.It is very popular in madurai and otehr places.SOme call it as Biryani rice.

Photos- Jeeragasamba rice(uncooked),Biryani..

Attached Files: