1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Daily menu plan for 1 to 2 years old

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Sanmithra, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Sanmithra

Sanmithra Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,
    Please share you daily menu that you prepare for your kids between 1 to 2 years of age. My second kid is 14 months old and right now I giving the below menu plan on daily basis.
    7.30 Am Milk
    8.30 Am 1 Dosa/1 idly/Pongal with Chutney
    10.30 Am Apple milk shake with badam,dry grapes, fig and dates added to it.
    1.00 PM Dhall rice with vegetables
    4.30 PM multigrain Kanji
    7.00 PM 1 dosa/ 1 idly
    8.30 PM rice/fried gram Kanji
    10.30 Milk
    I am confused between the 7.00 PM and 8.30 PM and wanted to combine and have one meal rather than having two during dinner. The problem is she eats idly/dosa very less some time 1/2 idly 1/2 dosa so I am breaking it to two different timings.
    Some times I give her 1 boiled egg before lunch. Working out to make a proper schedule.
    Just wanted to hear from all other mummy to share there schedule. This will help me to plan accordingly.

2 people like this.

2. esbanu

esbanu Gold IL'ite

Nice thread.. nice menus too.. tmrw onwards i have to start this.. i hope this will help to my kid who was picky eater.. thanks for sharing.. :)

3. DKalyani

DKalyani Junior IL'ite

Nice Thread...

here goes Mine..

7.30am milk with Banana/Flakes/Oats/Biscut
    10 am upma / Dosa with milk (with wheat flore aslo)/magi (weekly once)----I have to add more
    1.30pm Rice_moong dal with carrot and Beans pressure cooked and mixed with Rasam/ curd
    Rice with palak dal/ tomato dal the day i prepare it...And boiled egg on alternate days...
    4 pm Banan (if he is awake)
    5 pm ragi java/ Apple
    7 pm Milk ( I am still feeding Him :( )
    8.30pm cerelac/Rice with Curd and some curry mixed..He likes to have cerelac than rice....

I am also searching in net what to give especially in the evening at 5 pm.

Morning 7.30 am and night 8.30 is the only time i feed him as i am working, and i must show him some rhymes to make him eat.....He shld not realize tht he is eating....Very difficult..

he sleeps at 10.30pm and i feel he is hungry arround 4 am in morning...I may have to start giving something at 10 pm...will try with one Banana ...

4. DKalyani

DKalyani Junior IL'ite

Some more...

We also give smashed potato with salt and Smashed Carrot with Honey in the evening Time....I will not use Sugar much...Will do either with Honey or Jagry.....

5. Sanmithra

Sanmithra Bronze IL'ite

Hi Dkalyani,
    Thanks for sharing. I too prefer Jaggery instead of sugar. Don't give curd during the night, it is not good for health. You can give him bottle milk/your milk in night by 10.00 PM.

Don't encourage rhymes/TV while eating. I used to do the same for my elder son, by showing rhymes and feed him. Now he is 4 years old and he wants the TV to be on with Cartoons to finish his meals. With out that he will not eat. Trying to change this practise slowly. For my daughter I am not showing TV/Rhymes. Take her to terrace or allow her to play and then feed her. I am also practising her to eat on her own and to eat with the family.

6. DKalyani

DKalyani Junior IL'ite

Hi Sanmithra,

Thanks for your suggestions...He is not habituated to take milk with bottle...tried many times with different flavours, bt he has not taken, he used to take junior horlicks 1 (with glass) when he was 14 months, but now he stopped taking it, i have evn changed the falvour, bt of no use..Can u suggest some powder for milk..Now he is 18 months old...

Even i do agree with u to not show rhymes. only in the night we made him to watch rhymes as i cant take him out to feed...Otherwise thru out day he takes without TV/Laptop....Will try to find some alternative for rhymes instead of tv. He gets His own plate when we take our dinner...bt after half an hour all the food from his plate will be on floor....:(

7. Sanmithra

Sanmithra Bronze IL'ite

You can try giving water in the feeding bottle ans slowly try giving milk from it. But he is 18 months old you can try giving milk from any sipper cups. What type of powder you mean?. You can try giving any fruit milk shake.

8. Santu

Santu New IL'ite

Hi Sanmithra and Kalyani,

Let me add some more options

For breakfast, u can try flavoured oats porridge, french toast (bread dipped in eggwhite +sugar mixture and toasted in a tava), sooji/vermicelli upma (avoid green chillies..use mustard, one red chilly, onion and curry leaves in ghee base for tadka)

U can make sweet dosa with jaggery, wheat flour and a pinch of elaichi powder. And prepare vegetable dosas with grated carrot, cabbage and onion

U may prepare porridge with a combination of sago, roasted bengal gram and par-boiled rice (U need to roast par-boiled rice, other two u can grind as such)....and store. Later, u can mix required quantity with water, boil it well to porridge consistency and serve with salt or milk and honey/palm sugar

1 to 11/2 hours before lunch, u may try giving vegetable soups - pressure cook tomato, carrot, beans, cabbage, onion (optional) and garlic with required salt. After this cools down, run it in a blender with a little coriander. Serve it warm with a squeeze of lemon and a small pinch of pepper (both optional)

U may try chapathis or paratas for dinner...U can boil sprouts (boil until they become soft and mash well), mix these with chapathi dough and prepare chapathis...U may prepare less spicy potato/gobi/peas filling and prepare paratas. U may serve plain chapathis with dal tadka, carrot/onion/cucumber/tomato raitas or less spicy subzis or home made jams.

I have tried all these on my 15 month old son....but doesn't mean that he eats all of these.. :) atleast 50% of these...But, keep trying..they may not like in the first attempt, but will start liking different tastes gradually..

Regards,
    Santu

3 people like this.
  9. Sanmithra

Sanmithra Bronze IL'ite

Hi Santu,
    Thanks for your reply. It really gave me many new dishes. Some of your dishes I was already familiar with but some how didn't try to implement it.

The Porriage you mentioned with Par-boiled rice. Is it is made of up of broken rice or you just use the whole roasted rice and cook for long time until it is boiled soft/well?. How long will you boil it?

10. Sanmithra

Sanmithra Bronze IL'ite

I have also found few more recipes.

1) Clean red aval. In pan add little ghee and roast it and run it coarsly in mixy, cook it well with water,add milk, jaggery and allow to boil for few mins.

I have introduced soup rice in night. Here is the method.

1) Soak required quantity of rice in water for 1/2 hour. I use 1/4 cup of rice and 1 1/4 cups of water.

In pan add oil, cumin seeds, 2 chopped small onions, 2 chopped garlic, 1/4 chopped tomatoes, one spoon of grated carrot, one spoon of grated potato or any other vegetables, pinch of grated ginger,add a pinch of turmeric, a little chilly powder or pepper powder(if pepper powder add it just before serving the food) and cook for a minute. Then add this to soaked rice. Pressure cook it. I allow for 3 whistles and keep it in simmer for 10 mins so that it is cooked very well and easy for my daughter to eat it. She likes it :)

1 person likes this.