1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Daily Celestial Events

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

The entire United States is very excited about the celestial event that is expected to happen on Monday, August 21, 2017. The total Solar eclipse will begin visible in the West coast of the United States in Salem, Oregon at around 09:05 a.m. and the Sun will be completely obscured at around 10:18 a.m. In the East Coast, the Solar eclipse will begin visible in Charleston, South Carolina at around 1:16 p.m. and the Sun will be completely obscured at around 2:47 p.m. Americans are getting ready with their telescope and Sun glasses to see this celestial event that comes once in 100 years across the entire nation. NASA is arranging their jets to fly across the nation to follow the eclipse.

In the American territory Guam, without realizing the eminent danger that could possibly land from Pyongyang, people are enjoying the Sun in their beaches as advised by the Governor. After all, this kind of political crisis threatening the lives of many happens once in a century because of irresponsible rhetoric made by a handful of world leaders. Sometimes words uttered are more powerful than nuclear weapons. The standoff at the India-China border at Sikkim is another major disaster waiting to happen unless some better sense prevails among the leaders of these two nations. When the world leaders try to solve the problems through diplomatic means, they are criticized for lack of courage and when they confront, they are criticized for being irresponsible. In the meantime, the ISIS issue is sidelined leaving some space for them to recoup and rebuild their strengths. Sometimes, one wonders whether it is worthwhile examining the minds of these politicians with a microscope and administer some medicine to eliminate the virus or bacteria or volatile substance residing inside their head. Every neuron in their head requires a detailed examination. Without further digressing from the topic, let me get back to what I meant to say.

When the moon comes in between the sun and the earth, we call that solar eclipse and when the earth comes in between the sun and the moon, we call it lunar eclipse. If moon is orbiting the earth and the sun and the earth is orbiting the sun, these crossings are bound to happen occasionally. While we consider this as celestial event to be watched, let us look at the regular celestial event that happens in our lives. The word “Mathi” in Tamil has two meanings one is our mind and another is the moon. In fact, if we ask an astrologer, he would say moon is the influencing planet with respect to how our mind works. Even though our body consist of all five elements such as earth, air, water, fire and ether, predominant part reflects our beautiful planet. Let us assume our body as earth and mind as moon.

In the night, the moon gives the impression that it has a natural bright white light but as a matter of fact, it only reflects the light received from the sun. Similarly, in our real life, when we face darkness, even though the mind gives the impression it could enlighten us on its own, its light is coming from the consciousness. By the mind revolving around the body, gives an impression to the body that it is a star but unfortunately, it is not. Both body and mind are depending on the consciousness to get their energy. Consciousness being a true star is effulgent and doesn’t source energy from anything but itself but shares its energy with the body and mind. The mind can come between the consciousness and the body but can’t prevent the natural light of the consciousness for a long time. Similarly, the body can come between the consciousness and the mind but can’t prevent the mind from getting light from the consciousness for a long time.

We need to understand such celestial events that happen regularly in our lifetime are transient like solar and lunar eclipses. Let us receive the light with a good understanding that the source of such light is coming from our consciousness. The shadows of this body or mind is not going to affect the light coming from our consciousness. We need to realize that body and mind after all are separated from consciousness and cooled down by their actions/inactions over a period like planets separating from the sun. If the body and mind realizes that they were part of the sun once before, their existence become redundant. Let us use a microscope to find what changed us to who we are and use a telescope to become what we need to.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

I hope you will not mind if I start with a joke! This here,
    reminded me of a whatsapp joke that is going around. Unlike "Chandra grahana" and "surya grahana" which are transient, I believe "Paani grahana" is permanent - followed by various smileys, depending on who is sending them!

That is a nice write up and a deep one. I am sure I will be reading it a couple of more times. Between me and my DH, one of us is always looking skywards. I don't know how to explain but just the thought that there are stars during day time, or that it is day here, night somewhere else or the fact that this entire system even exists makes me so immensely happy and blissful that I don't even ponder beyond that. I must be talking about these things in my friends' circles too for at least two of them have called me to tell that they are making plans to see the meteor shower this weekend with a "Thanks to you going ra-ra over these things all the time" and as for solar eclipse, the less said the better. What a beautiful thing!

As for transiency sir, it is just not the eclipses, the day and night, the dark and the light, the seasons - everything is and it is all because of that ever spinning earth (like the ever spinning mind). Knowing that everything will be okay is a lesson we need to remind ourselves everyday.

I am sure my response is not much related to what you have written but here it is....I look forward to reading some interesting exchanges between you and other ILs.

PavithraS, Viswamitra and Naari like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Dear Sabitha,

I enjoyed the joke even though that particular word is used to refer a man marrying a woman. Whether a marriage sustains for a long time or not is dependent upon both husband and wife.

Knowing you as a lover of the nature, what else I can expect you to say? It is true every moment is a celestial event. Even the Sunrise and Sunset and the appearance and disappearance of the star in the night and day respectively are all celestial events.

Even though you claim you have drifted away from the topic, you touched upon the important message I was conveying through my snippet.

Viswa

Srama likes this.
  4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    Liked the anylogy of body- earth, mind- moon and soul-sun and the eclipses happening in life. Only the soul survives when other two die only to join yet another set of body and mind. Never ending game of creation.

One day the creator will recreate the whole again after destroying the old one. When the ultimate comes, will the sun also die?

On a lighter note, we in the USA will be watching the eclips some half a day later than friends in India. Does this indicate to the propaganda that everything was invented by India first ? I wonder if politicians claim that this time they have tamed the planets.

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shri Viswa,
    What a brilliant expression of facts on the eve of the on going solar eclipse!Even on Avani Avittam day we had lunar eclipse here and no one talked about it barring a few who were born on Thiruvonam star.
    It needs the brilliance of people like Viswa to do proper analysis drawing parallel between the superconsciousness, mind and body to that of the Sun, moon and earth/.
    The normal, but rare celestial event enjoyed by ordinary human beings from far and wide with telescopes has been transformed into a wonderful article of the highest philosphy.

I am reminded of a a recent lecture in Ramakrishna Mutt Mylapore about Pranayaama.The essence of the lecture was:-

Pranâyâma is not, as many think, something about breath; breath indeed has very little to do with it, if anything. Breathing is only one of the many exercises through which we get to the real Pranayama. Pranayama means the control of Prâna. According to the philosophers of India, the whole universe is composed of two materials, one of which they call Âkâsha.All others belong to the other set. Akasha is the omnipresent, all-penetrating existence. Everything that has form,, is evolved out of this Akasha.It is the Akasha that becomes the sun, the earth, the moon, the stars, the comets; it is the Akasha that becomes the human body, the animal body, the plants, every form that we see, everything that can be sensed, everything that exists. It cannot be perceived; it is so subtle that it is beyond all ordinary perception; it can only be seen when it has become gross, has taken form.At the end of the cycle the solids, the liquids, and the gases all melt into the Akasha again, and the next creation similarly proceeds out of this Akasha.
    By what power is this Akasha manufactured into this universe? By the power of Prana. Just as Akasha is the infinite, omnipresent material of this universe, so is this Prana the infinite, omnipresent manifesting power of this universe. At the beginning and at the end of a cycle everything becomes Akasha, and all the forces that are in the universe resolve back into the Prana;

It is the Prana that is manifesting as motion; it is the Prana that is manifesting as gravitation, as magnetism. It is the Prana that is manifesting as the actions of the body, as the nerve currents, as thought force. From thought down to the lowest force, everything is but the manifestation of Prana. The sum total of all forces in the universe, mental or physical, when resolved back to their original state, is called Prana.
    . The knowledge and control of this Prana is really what is meant by Pranayama.

This opens to us the door to almost unlimited power. Suppose, for instance, a man understood the Prana perfectly, and could control it, what power on earth would not be his? He would be able to move the sun and stars out of their places, to control everything in the universe, from the atoms to the biggest suns, because he would control the Prana. This is the end and aim of Pranayama and not a simple breathing exercise.

How to control the Prana? Each man must begin where he stands, must learn how to control the things that are nearest to him. This body is very near to us, nearer than anything in the external universe, and this mind is the nearest of all. If we can succeed in controlling that little wave, then alone we can hope to control the whole of Prana.

In this universe there is one continuous substance on every plane of existence. Physically this universe is one: there is no difference between the sun and you. The scientist will tell you it is only a fiction to say the contrary. There is no real difference between the table and me; the table is one point in the mass of matter, and I another point. Each form represents, as it were, one whirlpool in the infinite ocean of matter, of which not one is constant. Just as in a rushing stream there may be millions of whirlpools, the water in each of which is different every moment, turning round and round for a few seconds, and then passing out, replaced by a fresh quantity, so the whole universe is one constantly changing mass of matter, in which all forms of existence are so many whirlpools. A mass of matter enters into one whirlpool, say a human body, stays there for a period, becomes changed, and goes out into another, say an animal body this time, from which again after a few years, it enters into another whirlpool, called a lump of mineral. It is a constant change.

Thus, even in the universe of thought we find unity, and at last, when we get to the Self, These facts can no more be denied.

Your write up had lot of influence on me, as clearly as the lecture from Ramakrishna mutt.It was in brief, the essence of Advaitha by our friend,philosopher and guide-Viswa.
    Very fine narration.Congrats.

jayasala 42

6. Viswamitra

Dear Hari,

As Smt. Jayasala pointed out below Prana energy is the infinite and omnipresent force and when ether (Akasha) which is omnipresent combines with Prana creates form of everything including Suns, Planets and the species. Prana being the ultimate force can either leave the entire universe in the formless Akasha or combine it with Prana to manifest into a form.

In my view, as far as ancient wisdom is concerned, a vast majority of knowledge resided in Vedic scriptures or Old Testament.

Viswa

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

I told you so! Love the detailed explanation JS Ma'm @jayasala42 has given, especially about pranayama. I understood the meaning very subtly just from the words, "Prana" (life force) and "Ayama" expansion and the explanation provided by her drives in thoroughly. Thank you JS ma'm @jayasala42 Thank you!

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

What an excellent wisdom you have shared by way of response to this snippet!!! This is one topic where the same language is used by many who taught ancient wisdom to all of us.

To add more to what you have so well articulated, I humbly present the following:

Instinct or unconscious thought is the lowest plane of action. All reflex actions belong to this category. Another plane of thought is the conscious thought, such as to reason and discriminate. Reasoning and discrimination also is limited to a certain extent beyond which it can't reach. The facts rush into this circle and cognized by the mind. A higher plane is the super conscious mind and this comes face to face with facts than no instinct or reason can ever know. Learning to control prana helps the mind to go higher and act from a super conscious mind.

Matter is represented by ether. When the action of prana is most subtle, then ether, in the finer states of vibration, represents the mind. If one could reach the subtle vibrations, one could see that the whole universe is composed of subtle vibrations; the whole universe is seen as ocean of thought. In the ocean of thought, we exist in whirlpools of individual thought. In the universal thought, when we gain the Self we find unity or oneness. Beyond the vibration of matter, beyond motion, is the oneness. We have an invisible book of prana which is a recording of our past thoughts, actions, desires, etc. and we keep vibrating based on that encryption. When we reach the innercore of Prana, we master the book, eliminate the vibration caused by such encryption and reach the vibration of Prana.

When we compare this with Quantum Physicists theories about Dark Energy and Dark Matter, there is a significance resemblance to this ancient wisdom. :)

Viswa

PavithraS likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Aren't we lucky to have someone ready to share such a high level wisdom through social media? The pleasure we derive from someone articulating it so well is double that of knowing it through other means. I wrote to Smt. Jayasala many times that I enjoy reading her responses more than writing my snippets.

Viswa

Srama likes this.
  10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa I don't draw line btweeen mind nd consciousness. For me they are the same. AS for Guam North Korea is a professional sabre rattler. They have been talking tough since the days of Kim il Sung and that is all. No acion.