1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dad Is Dad, Son Is Son But Mom Is......

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Oh my God you enjoyed the lines about LG asafoetida yellow cloth bag and the pea size mole . Special thanks to you.
    2. Thanks for suggesting to see response in Watson. It was mighty wonderful did good to my heart and mind thanks to madam sister @Iravati and @visvamitra.
    Reading such lines is akin to spotting an oasis in a vast desert when sun is at it’s zenith. But do I deserve so much. But anyway God is great you know.
    Regards.
    God Bless.

Rihana likes this.
  2. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thanks that you could agree my Dad was a wise man . Yes always he was. Numerous instances and incidents.
    2. It appears you are familiar of hotels in Chennai and Nearest and the best to Mambalam railway station was. Nathans at south Usman Road. I used set aside at hotels the Idli’s and vada in the sambar plate and just enjoy sipping the hot onion sambar.
    3. Any place he take me, first he would do is to treat me to snacks. Even to saloon.
    4. He would insist me to accompany him to market and at age 8 and 9. I was able to pick up from him the trick or snap test to pick up good vegetables including ladies finger and how not to be cheated about weighment in tharasu.
    3. I am glad you could enjoy the reading of this anecdote.
    Regards.
    God Bless.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    kkrish likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thank you to pithamaha the BHISHMA among Il’ites. Appreciation from you in any form is worth its weight in gold or as good as written in gilt-edged pages.
    2. Yes. I do remember the yellow tin box of LG perungayam where I keep my match-box stickers and rare stamps. I am glad that you won a contest because of perungayam பெருங்காயம்.
    3. There is to be a special cutter for chopping the stony one into smaller dices. Now-a-days we use powder and the stony as well. Stony one kept over hot cooker for few minutes would turn soggy and amenable to finer pieces. In my - read our - cooking, daily it is used in vegetable curry and other hot recipes.
    4. It can never be a foe to anyone if they know it’s instant power to release the trapped stomach gases when taken mixed in fresh buttermilk.
    Grateful that you could spend valuable time for this daddy thread and perungayam.
    Regards.
    God Bless Us All Always.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

This yellow bag is unique to brahmins in the south.They carry even lakhs in the bag without being guessed.Now situation has changed.The thieves have their counterparts in banks who eagerly watch the yellow bag wallas, pass on the inf by cell, and the man with yellow bag is looted before he reaches home.
    Even today there is an astrologer,physically challenged, without legs in T. Nagar. He can only crawl.His predictions are almost correct.We were looking for alliance for our daughter for 3 years. Nothing clicked.We went to him during Oct, navarathri and showed our daughter's horoscope. "As per the horoscope the marriage should take place on Nov18 ,he said.I sarcastically asked" which year?'We went home. There was a horoscope from the boy's father saying that he had already seen the matching.If we find the horoscope matching, we can contact him since the boy was coming on 20 days' leave in the first week of Nov.In the three years I had become familiar with horoscope matching also, as I had done a dip course in Astrology from Madurai University.The boy came on 9th Nov. Saw the girl. After mutual liking we arranged for Nischayadhartham on 18th Nov in the boy's house at Bangalore.We went by van. On our reaching, the boy's father informed us that after formal betrothel, the marriage had to be registered on the same day as the boy wants to take the bride to his own apt in Singapore and to get own apt, he should be married.
    We didn't know what to do. Marriage was to be celebrated in May next year.After much thought we said'yes' and the marriage was registered in Bangalore,well 7 months before Mangala sutra was tied.Actually all the seven months we were panic struck and praying God that marriage should go on well.We hear of so many cheatings and mishaps .We didn't inform anyone as there might be gossips.Even the relatives that came to betrothel were not informed and we went to Registrar's office under the pretext of visiting temple.We went to astrologer .He said that there will be no impediment and as per horoscope her marital status is already due on 18th.It is now 25 years. They are happily settled with a daughter and son.Even today my son-in-law says that on certain occasions we should impose faith and that faith itself may lead you the correct way.
    Sorry for diversion.

jayasala 42

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

:hello:The conclusion highlighted above is taken well here.
    2. Thanks for this wonderful response. I trust you are taking sufficient rest and relaxation before banging the keys in response of course selectively.
    3. I am glad that you could select my anecdote for your pastime and noose to send a memorable response thereto.
    Regards.
    My sincere prayer for your well being, rest and speedier recuperation.

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sri Thyagarajan:

Without any doubt, your father is a wise person to know to take a second opinion especially when it involves one of the senses. His common sense helped you to avoid the nonsense recommended by the first ENT surgeon. Your writing about T. Nagar, L.G.Perungayam, Nathan's Cafe, etc. brought some wonderful memories of me living in T. Nagar when I was young. I used to play cricket in the Ramakrishna Ground and attended Ramakrishna Mission Elementary School in Griffith Road and lived in Tanjore Road. Those days, there used to be railway gates and there were no subways. Dr. Raju used to run a small consulting office in Old Mambalam. I still remember buying fresh vegetables from the roadside vegetable vendors near the Panagal Park.

Astrologer must be really a proficient person to pinpoint your birth marks providing you faith in his predictions at that young age. All his predictions proved right including academic performance and long life.

Sometimes, I pretend that I don't hear well due to old age, especially if it is something my wife reminds me to do which I have been avoiding for a while. You must be a wonderful husband to hear your wife loud and clear. :)

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thank you for your nostalgic comments.
    2. I pretend selective amnesia instead of hard of hearing.
    Regards
    God Bless.

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Adharv

Adharv Gold IL'ite

:lol::lol: well narrated sir. Enjoyed reading every line of your article. Did it really happen in 60's :confundio1: your memories look so fresh awesome. :thumbup:

And your finishing statement was :roflmao:cool.

Sir, one more note on taking the second opinion was really appreciable. Didn't know even in the past it was so commercialized . I have a personal.experience on this. It sounds inhumane for under valuing a life nah I shld say over valuing a life.

Thank you!
    Good night.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thank you sister.
    2. All my stories appear in non fiction are my personal experience as set out in time stated therein.
    3. I am keenly avidly watching your wonderful feedbacks on posts of fellow IL’ites.
    Regards.
    God grant Godspeed in our earnest endeavour.

Adharv likes this.
  10. JohnAppleseed44

JohnAppleseed44 New IL'ite

Agreed. Mother's love is purest love.

Thyagarajan likes this.