1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dad & I - An Introspection - Disciplined Approach

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: Dad & I - An Introspection - Disciplined Approach

I was posted at port city to deal with shipping matters. It was indeed akin to learning from a clean slate.

I assumed charges to oversee frenetic functions of staff around fifty in the large hall ! The retro look ancient wall-clock showing time approaching ten. Business yet to commence.

Just entered the ivory coloured chamber at the far corner which also had street view. Watered in thin stream, couple of money-plants & flower pots all exposed to light sunshine on the East window-sill . I then took up my seat on the revolving chair.

Looked at the memento left by my predecessor on the table in the shape of grey coloured small but heavy monkeys depicting “speak no evil-see no evil-hear no evil”.

Correspondence relating to shipping matters were lying in a pile on right of my desk with priority flags jutting out fluttering under antidiluvian revolving fan needing immediate attention.

It was at that instance through circular transparent portion of glass panel, I happened to see staff crowding around in the far corner of the hall giving an impression of a melee. Over intercom, I enquired chief superintendent - Ms. Rose - at the hall, as to the cause.She said that Ms. Maggie - a senior staff and adjacent seated Mr. Pinto are at loggerheads about a missing wrist-watch.

Sensing enormity of time-bound work at hand, I came out of chamber surveying staff in the hall. I approached the table near which two were shouting at each other in Marathi - a language I am ignorant of. Staff surrounding the shouting clerks seeing me in their midst, began receding to their seat.

Without knowing my arrival at the spot, Maggie was still acrimoniously accusing Pinto for missing wrist-watch while Pinto seeing my approach ceased his diatribe.

As junior officers and staff were watching this hullabaloo, my mind rewound to dad who had narrated to me in the past of similar ruckus and his advice.

He was emphasizing the need to maintain aplomb at times of bickerings without taking sides and act out kindly to the extent possible.He said hurt or accusation seemingly nasty would with passage of time heal itself.

Instructing the two to follow me, I took an about turn, proceeding to my chamber. As we three entered the chamber, I ordered for three cups of tea. I gestured the two to sit in chairs opposite meant for visitors.

I softly told that this being an office and they being senior staff, it was all the more important for them to maintain decency and decorum. When they both attempted simultaneously to voice their version, I gestured them to have tea.

At the same time, to keep them at ease, over dial phone, I pretended for a while fictitious conversation with police station!!!

As we sipped tea, I instructed them softly to get back to hall & would call them in few minutes.

After a couple of minutes, I called Ms. Rose to chamber to fill me in. I understood that Maggie,her daughter and the male clerk all put up in Belapur –a far off suburb- arrive around 9 for 10 o’clock office.

No sooner they reach and sign muster, Mr. Pinto goes out for refreshments while Maggie and her daughter together have breakfast from their lunch box at office.The lady’s daughter too employed in the vicinity of our office.

On this particular day, Maggie & her daughter had breakfast in office and the latter left her wrist-watch on mother’s desk before she went for washing hands and then in hurry proceeded to her office.

Little later, Maggie picked up daughter’s wrist-watch and kept it in her desk drawer which had no locks and went for washing hands. When she returned back to her desk, she saw in the hall only Mr.Pinto seated by adjacent desk.

She opened the drawer, found wrist-watch missing, and suspecting Pinto to have stolen it, began accusing him.

I told Rose to return to her seat and called for Pinto. He came in, softly apologised claiming that he had not stolen anything from Maggie’s desk and could not tolerate being labelled by her as thief and her accusation.

It was just at that moment, Maggie darted in teary-eyed, looking apologetic stating she had accused Pinto in haste.

She explained further - her daughter just had telephoned that “when you were away for hand wash, I had come back to your table and took away my wrist-watch from your desk and left in tearing hurry....”

I witnessed a truly repentant Maggie in tears cursing herself profusely apologising to Pinto.

At the back of my mind I still remain thanking dad.

Sent from my iPad

cur123, GeetaKashyap and iyerviji like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

All is well that ends well. Good Dad's advice helped and you took proper decision. Though sometimes children don't like advices but when time comes they realise .

By the way where were you. Since no reply to your recent thread I was thinking what's wrong with you

cur123 and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Thanks madam sister for your appreciation of the post.
    2. Thanks also due for your concern about my absence for a fortnight. No sooner I posted the VRADA story, I had swelled finger tips due close clipping of nails. Some infection that prevented use of fingers on keyboard.
    3. Thanks also for being the first one to send FB on today's post here. For this blog also I got the trigger from neighbourhood.
    God Bless Mr Iyer & You. Regards.

iyerviji likes this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Sorry to know that,take care and all the best. You can say sister, madam is not required. I like people calling me Mami instead of madam

5. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

An interesting narrative, as always, @Thyagarajan Sir.

Blaming someone in haste can have devastating effects on relationships. It is so good that you dealt in a really mature manner and the issue sorted itself! This write up follows the following proverb faithfully-
    "Prathyaksha kandaru pramanisi nodu" ("Even if something appears Prima facie True; verify further to be absolutely certain."), (“Trust, but verify”)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Thyagarajan Sir,

You did the right thing by handling it diligently. character assassination is worse than physically assaulting a person. It lasts longer and sometimes for life. We shouldn't believe what we see, what we hear but we should inquire before coming to any conclusion. Once we blame someone, it is difficult to take our words back.

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.